Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing - Page 46 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #901
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,773
Default

I've been investigating the German version and it does look like an awesome possibility, just to be sure there's definitely English voices?
D.C. is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #902
Senior *female* member
 
Fien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 3,706
Default

There are two German versions. The Collector's Edition (55 Euros) is definitely German/English. I think, but I'm not entirely sure, that the standard one (36 Euros) is German only.
Fien is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #903
Senior Member
 
Roper Klacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 344
Default

So, let's get this straight. It's pretty much a fact that the english version was delayed to 2011. However there is still the german version that seems to be keeping the original October release, right?

And the german CE has an english version as well? If the german release is indeed unaltered that CE could be a possibility...
__________________
Favorite Adventures: Gabriel Knight series, The Longest Journey, Still Life, The Last Express, Shivers.
Roper Klacks is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #904
Senior *female* member
 
Fien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 3,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
So, let's get this straight. It's pretty much a fact that the english version was delayed to 2011. However there is still the german version that seems to be keeping the original October release, right?

And the german CE has an english version as well? If the german release is indeed unaltered that CE could be a possibility...
Yeah. I guess dtp wants to make more money by attracting non-Germans, before the release in English-speaking countries.
Fien is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #905
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
Default

sorry, may i know what is DNF?
jmkoding is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #906
Senior Member
 
Monolith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkoding View Post
sorry, may i know what is DNF?
Do Not Fight. Wasn't it obvious?
__________________
"Oggi abbiamo erediteranno la terra! Domani, ci distruggiamo!" -S. B. Newsom

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Monolith is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #907
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Do Not Fight. Wasn't it obvious?
no, sorry. i must be out of the loop. have not been keeping up with the current games scene.
jmkoding is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #908
Senior Member
 
inm8#2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 569
Default

DNF is Duke Nukem Forever, which was long in development (10+ years), then canceled last year, then resurrected earlier this year.

Gray Matter has been in development for...5 years?
__________________
***Read the bolded part***

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
inm8#2 is offline  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #909
Member
 
Bakhtosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
There are two German versions. The Collector's Edition (55 Euros) is definitely German/English. I think, but I'm not entirely sure, that the standard one (36 Euros) is German only.

I'm not sure if this is true. The german DTP press release (Link) has the following passage:
Quote:
Die Collector’s Edition, verpackt in einem edlen SteelBook™ Jumbo, enthält neben dem Spiel zusätzlich eine Audio-CD mit dem Original-Soundtrack des Spieles sowie diversen Tracks der Band The Scarlet Furies. Zudem finden Gray Matter-Fans in der Metallbox ein edles Gray Matter-Kartendeck (55 Blatt), fünf Postkarten mit kunstvollen Artwork-Motiven sowie ein Poster. Die Gray Matter Collector’s Edition zur PC-Version wird zum Preis von 54,99 € parallel zur Veröffentlichung der Standard-Editionen erhältlich sein.

In beiden in Deutschland, Österreich und der Schweiz erhältlichen Editionen wird Gray Matter als besonderes Schmankerl sowohl in deutscher als auch in englischer Sprache lokalisiert enthalten sein. So haben Adventure-Fans die Möglichkeit, auch die englische Original-Version zu spielen, bei der Jane Jensen persönlich Tonregie führte.
I've tried to translate it:
Quote:
The collectors edition packaged in a classic SteelBook™ Jumbo additionally contains an audio CD with the soundtrack of the game and some tracks of the band The Scarlet Furies. Gray Matter fans also find a Gray Matter deck of cards (55 cards), five postcards with artworks and a poster in the metal box. The Gray Matter collectors edition of the PC version will be available for 54,99 € at the release date of the standard edition.

In both in germany, austria and switzerland available editions Gray Matter will be included localized in german and english language as a special treat. This way adventure fans have the opportunity to play the original english version with the voice direction done by Jane Jenson herself.
On the first look it sounds like the standard edition also contains the english localization. But after reading it a few times I'm not completely sure anymore.
Bakhtosh is offline  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #910
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,773
Default

The Amazon.de listings (Standard Edition and Collector's Edition) as well as the DTP website seem to imply that both versions will have English available. Here's hoping...

I really don't like the prospect of the release date slipping into yet another year...

Last edited by D.C.; 09-25-2010 at 12:37 AM.
D.C. is offline  
Old 09-25-2010, 02:31 AM   #911
Life and times of...
 
UPtimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Up there in the mist
Posts: 6,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
Well guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and not sure if this is accurate or not, but....

http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubb...be2#Post656454
Not really news, they're just talking about the same Amazon & Play.com date switch. At this point I'm just saying that at this point I wouldn't take this as official and just wait until an official statement (probably not coming) or the so-far-official release date and see if it comes or not (though maybe everyone doesn't have the kind of don't-believe-anything-until-it's-proven mentality like I, and maybe have to believe in some thing or another). Also, have patience, be optimistic, positive: if it comes at some point, it's better than it never coming at all (though I've noticed that people just tend to not be that patient) If it doesn't come, in a way you've not missed a thing, but since it's already so finished, there's no reason for it not to come....

UPtimist is offline  
Old 09-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #912
Senior Member
 
Kazmajik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 418
Default

Anyone want to bet that even if the release date does get pushed back to 2011, they won't bother to change it on the official website?
Kazmajik is offline  
Old 09-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #913
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Also, have patience, be optimistic, positive...
I think Jane Jensen fans know a thing or two about patience, I know the crazy, semi-illiterate bastard who started this thread had plenty of it . Still does in fact.

I'm assuming the reason people are getting so upset about these constant delays is because they still care, it's still important for them... some where deep down they want to play Gray Matter, damn it. A little venting never hurt any body, but I prefer to stay optimistic about it too. I'm hoping the experience will be like Dragon Age. We waited so damn long for that and it paid off, now nobody talks about the time it took to get released...

Last edited by D.C.; 09-25-2010 at 03:32 PM.
D.C. is offline  
Old 09-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #914
Senior Member
 
Monolith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
I think Jane Jensen fans know a thing or two about patience, I know the crazy, semi-illiterate bastard who started this thread had plenty of it . Still does in fact.

I'm assuming the reason people are getting so upset about these constant delays is because they still care, it's still important for them... some where deep down they want to play Gray Matter, damn it. A little venting never hurt any body, but I prefer to stay optimistic about it too. I'm hoping the experience will be like Dragon Age. We waited so damn long for that and it paid off, now nobody talks about the time it took to get released...
Because 5 years is a long time, then they start calling it DNF. lol Patience my ass. lol
__________________
"Oggi abbiamo erediteranno la terra! Domani, ci distruggiamo!" -S. B. Newsom

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Monolith is offline  
Old 09-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #915
Codger
 
rtrooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,080
Default

Talk about patience! How about never positng to this thread again until the game actually is available in any form on any platform.
__________________
For whom the games toll...
They toll for thee
rtrooney is offline  
Old 09-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #916
Senior Member
 
Monolith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Talk about patience! How about never positng to this thread again until the game actually is available in any form on any platform.
I'll post just to state that this is the truth!
__________________
"Oggi abbiamo erediteranno la terra! Domani, ci distruggiamo!" -S. B. Newsom

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Monolith is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #917
It's Hard To Be Humble
 
Lee in Limbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,557
Default

Do you know something? It's just a game. It's not brain surgery or the Cuban Missile Crisis. It doesn't have to be sorted out NOWNOWNOW. It'll be out when it's out. Or, you know, not. Why So Srs?

For my money (which isn't much, these days), I'll be happy just to see the game come out sometime in the next twelve months and not be as disappointingly clunky as so many people found the trailer. I figure, if they can manage to put out a game at least as good as the last few DTP AGs, then it won't be a total waste, and if the delay is because they're trying to Get It Right, then This Is Not A Bad Thing. Which would you prefer: instant gratification or knowing that you won't have to download several patches to correct what didn't get fixed before they shipped to meet their original deadline?

Yes, I know the game has been in various stages of development for half a decade (has it really been that long? Anyone care to check? I seem to remember 2007...), but that's not really so unusual for a big production. Need I dredge up the spectre of that most holy of holies (to me, anyway), The Longest Journey? Or Dreamfall, for that matter? Sure, lots of people groused even then, but ultimately, the games were pretty special. I can afford to wait a while if Gray Matter is being given the kind of careful consideration that the TLJ games were. That's the bare minimum quality of storytelling I'm looking for, so I can afford to wait until the game itself is tweaked just so.

Maybe TLJ is a bad example. Look how long it took for Heavy Rain or Alan Awake to get where they are, and they didn't have to switch dev companies midstream. Another fine example is Still Life II. Now there's a game that came out WAY too fast, I think we can all agree.

My point is just, BREATHE.

Shutting up now.
__________________
Lee Edward McImoyle,
Author
Smashwords eBooks
Lee in Limbo is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #918
Senior *female* member
 
Fien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 3,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
I figure, if they can manage to put out a game at least as good as the last few DTP AGs, then it won't be a total waste, and if the delay is because they're trying to Get It Right, then This Is Not A Bad Thing. Which would you prefer: instant gratification or knowing that you won't have to download several patches to correct what didn't get fixed before they shipped to meet their original deadline?
You missed the point entirely. The delay has nothing to do with "trying to get it right" or producing patches. The game is finished and will be released in Germany, both the German and the English version, that much is certain. But the question remains whether it is true that the English version will not be released in the rest of the world until much later. Confirmation still needed. It's understandable that people are annoyed by the uncertainty.
Fien is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #919
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 197
Default

I see your point. It is just a game. And I agree with your post generally.

My issue is the lack of some kind of update on what is going on. Sure they switched devs, but that was quite some time ago. If there're fine tuning the game, throw the fans a bone and let us know. If there're having problems with the new dev, again, let us know. Someone has to know what's going on yet the people that will be buying the game are left totally in the dark. I think most people especially in the AG market have a lot patience if there're just informed.

Part of the title of this thread is marketing, and as far as I'm concerned, the marketing for the game has been horrendous. It's gotten to the point where if the game isn't the best thing since sliced bread, there's going to be a whole lot of disappointed fans. Perhaps that's why it's had so many delays. Ms Jenson has to have an awful lot of pressure on her to put out a game that's at least on par with some of her older works and the longer it gets delayed, the more pressure she has. If that's the case why not just tell her fans? Why all the silence???
mgeorge is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #920
merely human
 
Intrepid Homoludens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 22,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
My issue is the lack of some kind of update on what is going on. Sure they switched devs, but that was quite some time ago. If there're fine tuning the game, throw the fans a bone and let us know. If [they're] having problems with the new dev, again, let us know. Someone has to know what's going on yet the people that will be buying the game are left totally in the dark. I think most people especially in the AG market have a lot patience if [they're] just informed.
That's been my argument all along. The questions are:

1) Do the developers and the publishers want to make money with this title?

2) If they do want to make money, why are they doing a pathetic, lousy job at trying to keep their market base, and potential new members to that base, consistently intrigued and even excited for this title?

Quote:
Part of the title of this thread is marketing, and as far as I'm concerned, the marketing for the game has been horrendous.
Nothing could be more obvious, yes. This title has the misfortune of being one of the worst marketed games.

Quote:
It's gotten to the point where if the game isn't the best thing since sliced bread, there's going to be a whole lot of disappointed fans.
Beyond the fans, a large potential group of customers may never hear about this title precisely because of shitty [lack of aggressive] marketing.

Quote:
Ms Jenson has to have an awful lot of pressure on her to put out a game that's at least on par with some of her older works and the longer it gets delayed, the more pressure she has. If that's the case why not just tell her fans? Why all the silence???
Personally I don't fixate any onerous eye on Jensen. I believe she is innocent of any charges on this. She and her team seem to have done their job and delivered a game. It's possible, however, that by contract with the publisher she can't say anything more about her game. We don't know, really.

But I have never blamed her for the lousy lack of marketing and public relations about this title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbsie View Post
...that's not really so unusual for a big production.
It's not a big production compared to other serious titles like, say, Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, or Dragon Age.

Gray Mattter was originally meant to be a real-time 3D experience (at least in concept), iirc. They switched it to 2D. I suspect it's because they had a limited budget. Budget constraint is also apparent in the quality of the teaser trailer.
__________________
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 09-28-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Intrepid Homoludens is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.