You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #781
Senior *female* member

Man, that's one bad trailer! The music is the best part. I'm not bashing the game, honestly I'm not. Just the trailer.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #782

I bet that those cutscenes (i like them) will be ripped apart by the mainstream reviewers.

The trailer is ok, the music is awesome, but it will not convince a sceptic to buy it. The walking animations look a bit... bad.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #783

Again, I'm the black sheep. I loved the trailer. It was different, and made me really want to play the game. Everyone's cookie-cutter idea of how it should look is getting real old. Yet i'm the one that complains about cheaply made trailers and horrible designs.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 08-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #784

Hmm. I'm pretty lukewarm about the trailer. I like seeing something new, but I wonder if it will grab anyone who isn't already convinced that this will be a first-rate adventure game?
Old 08-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #785
Stalker of Britain

I may be one in a million, but since I heard that so many people were hyped up about this game, I tried not to see or hear anything about this game. So looking at the trailer was my first exposure, and I wasn't too thrilled.

As someone pointed out, the walking looks pretty forced, and I'm not sure what the plot is supposed to be about. I don't want to judge the game on the trailer, since I know Mrs. Jensen is a great writer, but I'm not excited.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 08-19-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #786
Life and times of...

"Jenson"?

Anyways, it's a trailer. Trailers are, I find, quite often not representing the quality of the product (no matter what the medium). I don't find this particularly bad but not particularly good either. Someone pretty much not involved with the game probably just whipped it up. And those gameplay glimpses were so short you can't really say this or that.

I do hate the use of exclamations though.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #787

What an awful trailer
Old 08-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #788
Failed Birthday Elf

That was indeed a completely underwhelming trailer.

However, I'm not even vaguely surprised by this as I don't feel that traditional Adventure Games are suited to trailers anyway (personal opinion of course!).

Game trailers usually try to copy action film trailers by trying to keep it high octane and exciting, or fast paced and scary (horror). This means we get to see glimpses of the cutscenes for some of the more exciting parts. This doesn't tell us anything about the game though, as AG's are not usually fast paced in the way that action games are and so we have no idea about the actual gameplay etc.

Also the cutscenes in Black Mirror just look like a DS game. In my opinion well below par for a PC game.

I'm thinking more of the Black Mirror trailer here to be honest, as the Gray Matter trailer does appear to show a very small amount of in game footage, but as this is just walking through a still environment (which is what AG's generally are - and there is nothing wrong with that) it isn't particularly exciting to see in a trailer.

This sort of trailer just doesn't suit adventure games in general.

I'm all for greater exposure of Grey Matter and other AG's but I don't know who would see this trailer and think - wow I must buy this game.

Last edited by Intense Degree; 08-19-2010 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Well blow me if I didn't go and leave out the whole point!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 AM   #789
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
However, I'm not even vaguely surprised by this as I don't feel that traditional Adventure Games are suited to trailers anyway (personal opinion of course!).
Are you sure? Compare the Gray Matter trailer to these 3 and tell me they are not heaps better at making you want to play their respective games:

Gabriel Knight 3
Broken Sword
Grim Fandango

Important aspects of a successful trailer that the Gray Matter one completely fails at:

1) Trailers should tell/introduce a story - not just throw at you abstract concepts in disconnected 3 seconds shots
2) Trailers should present their stories in ways that gets the viewer intrigued
3) The amount of written text should be minimal, with focus on key phrases which interact with what is shown in the footage (or the text should be absent altogether)
4) Trailers should highlight the audio-visual strengths of the game/film they're promoting.
5) If you can include recorded character dialogs or at least someone's narration, definitely use it - it will elevate the impact of the trailer immensely

All that said, it's only a trailer. It will put off a good percent of its viewers from playing the game, but at least it won't affect the quality of the final product.

Last edited by Ascovel; 08-19-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #790
DirectX Developer

Well, I have to say that I really liked the trailer, the first part of it is what I liked the most, I don't know, It transmits something special.

By the way, I'm guessing that the game will use this kind of "flash type" cinematics?

Regards

Last edited by zenger; 08-19-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #791
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
I think I may very well stand corrected!

I hadn't seen any of these before and they are much much better than any recent trailers i've seen. Having said that they all appear to be very much of their time, where are the good trailers now?!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #792
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
I hadn't seen any of these before and they are much much better than any recent trailers i've seen. Having said that they all appear to be very much of their time, where are the good trailers now?!
Well, we did have some effective trailers in recent times.

The Asylum has a really good one. It really draws you IN.

The Whispered World has a very strong trailer too, though people who played the game complain it is too spoilerish.

And look up what a one-man indie studio has managed to cook up for the cyberpunkish Gemini Rue.

But the old times were the best. Nothing beats the perfect delivery of the final line in this one, or the TV commercial for the long-forgotten adventure game Obsidian.

Last edited by Ascovel; 08-19-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #793

I'm lowering my expectation just to be safe... I'm sure the story and characters are going to be awesome, but what I'm worry about are gameplay, gameplay mechanics, and other technical stuff in general... So Blonde really did leave a super sour taste in my mouth, one of the games that I actually regret playing...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 08-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #794
The Quiet One

I didn't think much of the Gray Matter trailer either. As people have already mentioned, it's not going to convince people to buy it, which is a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Those trailers are great. I'd only seen two of them until now; I'd never seen the Gabriel Knight 3 one. The graphics look much worse in the trailer than the actual game, but the way it was put together combined with the music is quite effective. And I love the Broken Sword one; it brings back fond memories. I love the combination of the narrator's voice, the scenes, and the music.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #795

Im not worried. I agree, the trailer looks like something that traveled in a time machine from 1998 and the director should be fired for sure. But I will play this game, only for Janes story telling and no below par performance from wizarbox (wizardbox? their name was spelled without the d in the beginning of the trailer,,) must really screw this up if Im gonna be dissapointed with a Jane Jensen game. I have faith
Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #796

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Music was the best part, I agree.

Character animation doesn't look so bad in my opinion, but it could be because I'm used to it now, after playing the game for, quite literally, months. And it seems to me that the story is introduced pretty well.

Everyone knows what the story is about, or the information is just a click away, and the trailer simply highlights the core themes of the game. Pretty well, as I said.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #797

Who cares what other people think. Really, when the game is released, we will play it. We will then enjoy it. Then we will contemplate on why the game isn't selling well. While we bring up the subject of GK4 once again.

I want this game. I will enjoy it. That's all that matters.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #798

I like the trailer. It fits the mood of the game, but for people not familiar with the story/gameplay it probably doesn't interest them.

Maybe we'll see a more fleshed out trailer in coming weeks. This one seems like it was put out there to give us fans something to chew on.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 08-20-2010, 01:42 AM   #799

I hope they'll begin to build up the hype, because the release date is getting closer. All kinds of preview videos in Xbox Live would be a good and simple way to promote the game. Playable demo would be super-awesome, because I think Gray Matter isn't very typical game for Xbox 360 players.

I hope that Gray Matter will be "properly" released on Xbox 360. For example, Tropico 3 was released on Xbox 360, but only few stores had it and mostly people had to order it from online stores. Of course the sales of that game weren't that good, because it wasn't even available for purchase easily.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #800
Life and times of...

I have to say - that is a bit of a worry... That's not the only example, either.

I wonder if it actually costs them something to put a teaser and demo etc. on Live?