You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010, 03:56 AM   #661
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Good cover. Not particularly creative, but nice to look at.

They should have gone all GK2 - put a huge, squishy brain on a white sheet and stuck a burning tarot card into it. Now that would be a real cover art!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #662
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
although I like the Gabriel Knight covers better, which can capture the essence of the game without it being too crowded with pictures.
As much as I like the box art of GK1, the relevance of the dangling man is not immediately apparent. And how can the essence of the werewolfery in GK2 be captured in a pic of the skull of what is clearly a vampire...
Old 06-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #663
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
As much as I like the box art of GK1, the relevance of the dangling man is not immediately apparent. And how can the essence of the werewolfery in GK2 be captured in a pic of the skull of what is clearly a vampire...
About the GK1 cover: not only does the imagery immediately show up in the introduction, I also think that it underlies an important part of the story.
Spoiler:
It is the direct representation of the sin of one of the fathers mentioned, in the form of the redemption he sought after it.

You're right, the relevance is not immediately apparent, but does it have to? It is like the introductions of all GK games: it doesn't make sense immediately, but once you are in the game you start to realize what is going on, what it represents. The cover calls for the mystery of the hanging man to be solved, and it fits in with the game more than immediately clear.

As for GK2: vampires aren't the only ones with fangs And it represents (at least in my view) the thin line between being man and becoming beast, the transformation between the two, the shroud that makes you uncertein whether we are seeing man or beast. The facial expression may even represent the struggle against it. And it speaks again of a mystery, what does the cover represent, what does it mean? There is some sort of air of mysticism in the simplicity of the cover.

That shroud of mystery is a bit lacking in the gray matter cover bceause the images just seem to be too clear cut, too much directly representing what is in the game.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #664

I like the box cover. This one is much more fitting for the tone of the game than the earlier one. Sam's expression is just right.

I have to admit that I wasn't very taken by the box cover for Gabriel Knight when it first came out. In fact, it was several years before I even tried the game. Once I did, it became my favorite adventure game series, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
They should have gone all GK2 - put a huge, squishy brain on a white sheet and stuck a burning tarot card into it. Now that would be a real cover art!
Ok, that I'd like to see!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #665
The Quiet One

Another one here who likes the box cover. It's certainly an improvement on the first one.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 06-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #666
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post

If I didn't know what GM was about I would have thought it's a strip poker game (for juniors).
My initial reaction, verbatim
Old 06-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #667

I like it. I immediately thought that the game had gothic/supernatural themes and would never have thought it a strip-poker sim as others claim. Much better than the first cover.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #668

It's better than the first, and overall it's okay. However, I personally prefer covers with one main picture and not a collage of many small pictures.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:50 AM   #669

Man... You guys are just NEVER happy with anything.......
Old 06-27-2010, 03:40 AM   #670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
Prepare for the roll of criticism when the game really launches. It will be impossible to fulfill everyone's expectations, and i'm predicting a lot of overreactions and trolling.

Last edited by stepurhan; 06-27-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:14 AM   #671

No matter what, Im gonna buy the game, play the game and love the game. If it really is true love, you ignore the flaws and the less unattractive sides, and embrace the rest

To get a new Jane Jensen game is like finding the long lost true love of your life again after years of longing
Old 06-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #672
Life and times of...

Quote:
People are never happy with anything. Everybody has an opinion, a forum is meant for people to express their opinions (among other things). There's always someone who doesn't like something as much as someone else, and there's always room for improvement. If everyone is quiet, there never is any improvement.

Anyways, in my opinion, it's a regular game cover. Nothing spectacular, but nothing particularly unappealing either. A very safe choice, though a game like this would probably benefit a lot more from a well-executed eye-catcher, seeing as how it belongs to a not-so-popular genre. Right now it just blends in with the rest of them. Certainly a great improvement from the previous one though.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #673
Pixiehunter

The big problem Gray Matter has faced from the beginning on is that it will inevitably always be compared to the Gabriel Knight series. People will expect the same, pereferably better. Even if Gray Matter will end up being a very good game, as long as it is in some aspects not as good as the Gabriel Knight series people will criticise it as not being up to the standard of its predecessors. Whereas if that same product would have been delivered by someone completely unknown the critics would be far more positive.

So Hannes, I don't think people are never happy, I think we're just all too hyped and too much busy comparing to really objectively judge the game. Which is a shame really...
Old 06-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
I think we're just all too hyped ...
I agree with that.
By this time I am afraid that no matter how excellent the game will be I will be disappointed anyway because my expectations are growing and growing and growing...
Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
People are never happy with anything. Everybody has an opinion, a forum is meant for people to express their opinions (among other things). There's always someone who doesn't like something as much as someone else, and there's always room for improvement. If everyone is quiet, there never is any improvement.

Anyways, in my opinion, it's a regular game cover. Nothing spectacular, but nothing particularly unappealing either. A very safe choice, though a game like this would probably benefit a lot more from a well-executed eye-catcher, seeing as how it belongs to a not-so-popular genre. Right now it just blends in with the rest of them. Certainly a great improvement from the previous one though.
Funny how I've liked both of them so far. Opinion is one thing, bitching another. I'm surprised ppl still even bother trying to please their fans.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
I like the box cover. This one is much more fitting for the tone of the game than the earlier one.
What was the earlier one?
This is the first box art for Gray Matter that I've seen.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #677
It's Hard To Be Humble

I think it looks good. It's got a lovely illustrative style and the font is tasteful and subtle, very chic. She's a bit sexy, but it's not nearly as embarrassingly sexy as the Mata Hari cover was. I'm actually quite heartened by this cover. it makes me believe the game is actually going to come out.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #678
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
it makes me believe the game is actually going to come out.
Ever the optimist.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #679
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
She's a bit sexy, but it's not nearly as embarrassingly sexy as the Mata Hari cover was.
To be fair, Mata Hari was about a prostitute...
Old 06-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #680

Quote:
I don't know, man. I think some of the sentiments are justified.

The game has been in production for more than a little while now and for the longest time we got no updates at all. That's changed lately, but you can understand the lack of good will between some of the fans and the publisher. (Not that it's always fair or directed properly, I agree.) Deconstructing the smallest of details is something fans will always do too. I don't particularly like the box art, doesn't impact my decision to purchase the game though -- but it might for someone who has never heard of it and is making their decision in the store on box art alone. (Tastes are entirely subjective, though.)

Last edited by D.C.; 06-27-2010 at 09:15 PM.