Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/21703-gray-matter-official-site-hype-marketing-publishing.html)

3rdFloor 07-19-2009 08:57 AM

Bah I've given up hope that Gray Matter will ever get completed. In fact, I'm purposely telling myself this game is dead and buried so that if it does eventually come out, it'll be like a surprise! Man, I'm a genius!

Kazmajik 07-19-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mutajon (Post 517247)
...their official site has gone back to what it was early on (no english, no Jane's blog etc..)

You're right. What's up with that? Maybe they are working on an updated site?

kadji-kun 07-19-2009 09:22 PM

Breaking news: Game canceled due to not whore out the development updates to annoying fans.

Seriously people, when a project goes quite, and isn't some independent game development, don't expect the worse. Most game companies keep things quite....usually for years. Just be lucky you get any updates.

3rdFloor 07-20-2009 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadji-kun (Post 517319)
Breaking news: Game canceled due to not whore out the development updates to annoying fans.

Seriously people, when a project goes quite, and isn't some independent game development, don't expect the worse. Most game companies keep things quite....usually for years. Just be lucky you get any updates.

To be sure, yes. But then, I rather enjoy looking forward and anticipating something, be it a game or anything else. I've said earlier I've given up hope, but really, that was more likely a failed attempt at being funny. Jane Jensen's prior works greatly inspired me early on in life; as a matter of fact they still do.

Ksandra 07-20-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadji-kun (Post 517319)

Actually, most games that go for years without updates end up being quietly cancelled. I'm not saying that's what will happen in this case - I believe Nico, and besides, there was an update fairly recently - but developers going silent for very long periods is generally not a good sign.

kadji-kun 07-20-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksandra (Post 517384)
Actually, most games that go for years without updates end up being quietly cancelled. I'm not saying that's what will happen in this case - I believe Nico, and besides, there was an update fairly recently - but developers going silent for very long periods is generally not a good sign.

True, but its common practice to stay silent until needed to be vocal. Its actually quite a bad idea to show progress at such an early stage as this game did. Bad practice.

It means you have to focus on publicity on top of development, which takes a lot out of marketing and real work.

Do you know how many mods for games were canceled just because they got everyone excited when they just started development? A great example of WHY you should prepare people until you are close to being finished.

Ksandra 07-20-2009 02:52 PM

I have to say that if there's one team I definitely wouldn't accuse of focussing on publicity over development, it's this one.

Fien 07-20-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksandra (Post 517398)
i have to say that if there's one team i definitely wouldn't accuse of focussing on publicity over development, it's this one.

lol!

kadji-kun 07-20-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksandra (Post 517398)
I have to say that if there's one team I definitely wouldn't accuse of focussing on publicity over development, it's this one.

Disagreed. I've seen more publicity on this than most games in the same development status.

Fien 07-20-2009 05:48 PM

What publicity? By whom?

Lightyears ago, dtp announced a new JJ game. Wow, everybody got excited. The rest was silence. Except for a couple of statements about dtp having every confidence in the developers... what's their name. Nothing about the game at the developers' site, nothing at dtp's site. And then all of a sudden dtp hired new developers and of course they have every confidence in wizardbox. A couple of entries in JJ's blog (now gone), a web site which hasn't had any new content in ages... you call that PUBLICITY?

kadji-kun 07-20-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 517408)
What publicity? By whom?

Lightyears ago, dtp announced a new JJ game. Wow, everybody got excited. The rest was silence. Except for a couple of statements about dtp having every confidence in the developers... what's their name. Nothing about the game at the developers' site, nothing at dtp's site. And then all of a sudden dtp hired new developers and of course they have every confidence in wizardbox. A couple of entries in JJ's blog (now gone), a web site which hasn't had any new content in ages... you call that PUBLICITY?

Besides the Jane Jensen blog? With a bunch of updates during development? Thats publicity by the way.

I recall seeing new artwork in the blog a couple of months ago. How is that resemble not having new content for ages? There was some awesome artwork of the natural history museum and background/sketch comparisons.

dekaneas297 07-20-2009 11:20 PM

A lot of arguments against the project lately. Maybe we will see soon a new blog entry with a single artwork or an interview about Jensen's favourite meals, colours etc :P

Fien 07-21-2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadji-kun (Post 517415)
Besides the Jane Jensen blog? With a bunch of updates during development? Thats publicity by the way.

I recall seeing new artwork in the blog a couple of months ago. How is that resemble not having new content for ages? There was some awesome artwork of the natural history museum and background/sketch comparisons.

A few, very few, entries in a blog that has disappeared. Yes. And you call that "more publicity on this than most games in the same development status"? Come on, be realistic.

kadji-kun 07-21-2009 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 517428)
A few, very few, entries in a blog that has disappeared. Yes. And you call that "more publicity on this than most games in the same development status"? Come on, be realistic.

I am being realistic. Why? Because most games have zero publicity until 75% of the game is complete.

Fien 07-21-2009 02:14 AM

So you're saying that less than 75 percent of Gray Matter has been completed yet... :P In that case, we will have to wait another year. At the very least.

AndreaDraco83 07-21-2009 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 517428)
A few, very few, entries in a blog that has disappeared.

Actually the blog is still here. Wizarbox is working on a new version of the site and, meanwhile, the content has been moved. Not removed, just moved. In fact, as you see with the blog, it is still there, only not on the main page.

Fien 07-21-2009 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadji-kun (Post 517432)
I am being realistic. Why? Because most games have zero publicity until 75% of the game is complete.

The only adventure wizarbox and dtp ever created together was So Blonde. We got loads of info on the game and saw *dozens* of screenshots of different development stages way before the release date. Not so with Gray Matter.

Fien 07-21-2009 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 (Post 517434)
Actually the blog is still here. Wizarbox is working on a new version of the site and, meanwhile, the content has been moved. Not removed, just moved. In fact, as you see with the blog, it is still there, only not on the main page.

Gee... a new web site. What a waste of precious time and effort. But I take it they have some news they want the world to know? :P

AndreaDraco83 07-21-2009 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 517437)
Gee... a new web site. What a waste of precious time and effort. But I take it they have some news they want the world to know? :P

Possibly. Hopefully :)

And I also think that we will definitely see something new at the Games Convention next month.

3rdFloor 07-21-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 (Post 517438)
Possibly. Hopefully :)

And I also think that we will definitely see something new at the Games Convention next month.

Do you mean at Leipzig? Or is it happening somewhere else this year? That would be fantastic, especially since they didn't show anything at the convention last year.