You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Question about Still Life

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
The Ultimate Insult

Default Question about Still Life

The graphics look absolutely breath-taking, and the style of play seems pretty good, but Im asking those who have played it whether its.. a scary game.
I know its more of a sleuth than a horror genre game, and I dont mind still images of pixelated goryness, but does it have a lot of jumps or atmosphere, the screenshots of the abandoned house look fairly creepy, but I dont know, opinions please?

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 12-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
The Quiet One

There are no jumpy bits, as i recall, but it definitely has tons of atmosphere.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I'm really skittish, I thought myst was scary, and didn't want to go into the basement, and I'm staying far away from all horror games, but I didn't have a problem playing Still Life. There's gore and a chase scene that was scary for a while, but I didn't have a problem with playing it at night.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 12-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
It's Hard To Be Humble

I'm traditionally far too edgy to handle truly creepy stuff, but Still Life was great for me. Just enough suspense and eeriness to make me nervous, but not enough to mess me up too much to keep playing.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:08 AM   #5

Its creepy, but more like Se7en (the Brad Pitt film) creepy. It has a feeling of uneasiness and a muted colour palette. Its not as bad as a full on horror game though.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:13 AM   #6
Banned User

There are some sickening parts to it. They show dead bodies, a few stabings, there is also a part in Gus's last chapter that is abit disturbing, that's all. It's not a horror. It's a *murder* mystery. It's the type of stuff you would see if you were a cop, nothing too scary. It's like CSI with images of dead bodies. Horror isn't what should concern you (and believe me when I say this. It comes from a guy who gets scared just from the background music). What is bothersome are the nude bodies. Almost every body you find is nude.

When you start off as Vic and see the body and do what needs to be done (I don't want to give anything way). It does turn your stomach. After about 20 to 30 minutes of playing on Vic's part you get to play as Gus. Gus' part is very nice. It's out in the open, during the daytime. After you get control of Vic again you should have gotten used to the atmosphere. By then it takes you away from the crime scene and puts you into the investivation. You have to look for clues and talk to people. You know, that type of stuff.

A bit of advise. If you do get the game you will have to do some business on Vic's desk. What EVER you do * DO NOT * look at the files on the upper right side of her desk. There are some Real sickening images.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:27 AM   #7

Zero frights, suspenseful but not creepy, thick atmosphere but more of a classic detective story than of anything else. As long as you can handle a computer generated version of a CSI crime scene then it shouldn't bother you.

Being a horror fanatic I was sorely let down by several reviewers who made the game sound creepy. It is still a great game no matter how you look at it though and heartily recommended.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
The Ultimate Insult

Hmm, Im usually okay with CGI gore, as long as the images arent of real people like off of Rotten.com *Shudder*

Hmm.. I got scared in (Dont laugh.) Nancy Drew and the haunted mansion, there were loads of jumps, atmosphere, and they kept making me go between the creepy attic and secret ridden basement, ended up uninstalling the game, xD

I may look into playing it, was a demo ever released?

Old 12-19-2007, 09:19 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
I may look into playing it, was a demo ever released?
Yes.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
The Ultimate Insult

Thankyou very much Dale!

Old 12-21-2007, 05:50 AM   #11
The Ultimate Insult

Argh. freaking Starforce, isnt compatible with Vista so I shall have to try and download the demo on my pc, thanks anyway.