You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Desperately Seeking: Music from Beneath a Steel Sky

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #1

Default Desperately Seeking: Music from Beneath a Steel Sky

I looked around for a section on music from games, but it seemed to me that it doesn't exist, so I hope I posted this in the right section

Well, basically I'm looking for an archive (possibly simply ripped from the game using "SCUMM Revisited" or anything like that) containing the music files from Beneath a Steel Sky, a game which I'm sure many of you will remember.

It was a really nice music. The one from Bellevue, especially.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #2

This site has the music playable by flash.

I'm not familiar with using SUMMVM tools to rip soundtracks from the game.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #3

I can say only this: THANK YOU!!!!
Really. Thanks a lot

Now the long and tiresome task of recording them all awaits me...

In the meantime, if anybody has any other info on how to get the hands on the actual files, please post!
Old 12-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #4

I got those files from godknowswhere ages ago. That should be what you're looking for.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 12-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
I got those files from godknowswhere ages ago. That should be what you're looking for.
Yay! That's almost exactly what I was looking for! I'm really grateful!

Now, comparing your files to the site Gleaves posted, I now learn that there are two versions of the soundtrack, one from the floppy version, and one from the CD version. Turns out I was looking for the one from the CD... and the archive you have is from the floppy. Just my luck.

My I'm extremely grateful nevertheless. You were most helpful
Old 12-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #6

No, the site in question is talking nonsense. There are two versions of the soundtrack: a low quality adlib version and a better quality MT-32 version (both of which exist in both versions of the game; the one you got depended on what soundcard you had). What that site calls the 'CD version' is the Adlib soundtrack (the tinny sound is unmistakeable), and the other is the GM conversion of the MT-32 soundtrack (as performed by ScummVM) recorded at very low quality.

The files I linked to are GM files converted from the MT32 soundtrack (probably by ScummVM). Whether they end up sounding good or not on your computer mostly depends on the soundcard you have. And they won't match the 'real' MT32 soundtrack exactly anyway, but that's probably the best that's possible to find on the Internet now. I haven't seen a good quality recording of the MT-32 version around.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 12-13-2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Got my facts right
Old 12-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
No, the site in question is talking nonsense. There are two versions of the soundtrack: a low quality adlib version and a better quality General MIDI version (both of which exist in both versions of the game; the one you got depended on what soundcard you had). What that site calls the 'CD version' is the Adlib soundtrack (the tinny sound is unmistakeable), and the other is the GM soundtrack recorded at very low quality.

The files I linked to are just the General MIDI files as used by the game. Whether they end up sounding good or not on your computer mostly depends on the soundcard you have. I don't know of any good quality recording of that GM soundtrack available on the Internet.
Oh I think I see what you mean! I understand. Is there a way to get to an archive of the Adlib version then? Because, you see, I really like the "tinny" sound! I guess I'm a nerd

And, you manage to recognize by ear the type of soundcard that does the playback? Wow. Respect. Deep respect.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #8

Please note that I've corrected my post above yours. I had some of my facts mixed-up. Anyway, I don't know where you might find a rip of the Adlib soundtrack. I'm not too fond of Adlib music, I'm afraid.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #9

You were extremely helpful Thanks for being so accurate in your answer.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #10

I know this is a old thread, but for anyone who is looking for the OST, the only place I found was (http://www.warriorlabs.net/index.php...h-a-steel-sky/)
you can listen for it in the browser or use some sort of embedded content downloader to get the mp3s.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:32 AM   #11

Nice find. But after comparing: less quality than the site mentioned above I think. One poster (Kurufinwe) misunderstood what was intended on the site, if I understand the comment correctly. There's is indeed - apart from the intro - a slight difference between the tracks of the cd-version and floppy version (so it seems that it wasn't meant that the CD-version only had an Adlib version, but only that it was recorded with a SB). It seems too that the site has been updated, as is sounds now as a "real" MT-32 soundtrack (not the ScummVM version that was mentioned above). But I have "old ears." The musical score (Dave Cummins) of the game is still a great score to listen to (in whatever version).

Last edited by haraldd; 09-29-2010 at 05:41 AM.