You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Advice on adventure game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 04:48 AM   #1

Default Advice on adventure game

Hello everyone! This is my first post in this cool forum ... so I hope to have posted in th right section!

So, basically I'm looking for a new adventure game. I've recently finished the Secrets of Atlantis, which was very good, but not exactly my style. I was looking for something more like The Secret Files: Tunguska:
Something with:

2D Pre rendered backgrounds;
Point-and-click Interface;
Realistic setting;

What I mean by "Realistic Setting" is that it should be set in the current day (or near future/past), and shouldn't involve too far-fetched or supernatural events.
I also enjoy games centred not on puzzle solving (Myst-like), but on combining objects together and speaking to characters to solve problems (in the style of Monkey Island or Gabriel Knight).
Oh, by the way, I'm not exactly on a cutting-edge technology computer, so I'm looking for something that can run on a Athlon 64, 512 RAM.
Obviously, if you know a good game which is not exactly like the one I describe, please suggest it anyway!
Can anyone give me any advice?

EDIT:
Whooops! Forgot to add a list of games of that kind I've already played!
Gabriel Knight Series;
Most SCUMM games (I think I played all of them, not 100% sure);
Syberia (both)
Secret Files: Tunguska;
Broken Sword series (except the last one, which doesn't work on my pc );

I played all Myst and Atlantis games, but I didn't put them in the preceding list because they're not exactly the kind of game I'm looking for anyway...
Thank you very much

Last edited by ZeframCochrane; 12-05-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:56 AM   #2
Caffein Queen

If you liked Monkey Island, then you should check out Jack Keane on www.gamersgate.com

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 12-05-2007, 05:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslilo View Post
If you liked Monkey Island, then you should check out Jack Keane on www.gamersgate.com
Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it a lot
Yes i did enjoy Monkey Island a lot... I remember the time when I couldn't wait until the new one came out...

But those were other times... I was much younger & inexperienced

Now I'm looking for something more realistic. I mentioned Monkey Island in my post to indicate the kind of problem-solving approach I was looking for. Based not on pure puzzle solving, but more on collection objects and re-assembling them in unusual way to solve problems, or talking to characters.

Thanks again
Old 12-05-2007, 05:07 AM   #4
Caffein Queen

Longest journey and Dreamfall?
Ever considered those?

Or how about Moment of Silence?

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 12-05-2007, 06:39 AM   #5

Wow, those are extremely interesting titles.

Dreamfall seems still a bit too fantasy-ish. (When did I get so picky?? )

But "Moment of Silence" and and "The longest Jouney", seem extremely appealing, the first one especially. I'll hunt a few screenshots around, to see how they are.

You've been very useful, misslilo, thank you. If you think of anything else please post!

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please let me hear them!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:05 AM   #6
Hot 'n Spicy

If you like fiddling with and re-assembling inventory items then Return to Mysterious island is probably what you'd like.

Voyage is another title with similar combine / assemble puzzles by the same studio I believe.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:40 AM   #7

Oh blimey I hope you've played Broken Sword?

If not, please check them out. The first two in particular are near perfect for story and dialog. If you're more interested in a visually darker settings (as what appears to be the case with many of the game's you've listed), the latter two might be what you're looking for, although not pre-rendered.

Don't be held back with the original two because they look cartoonish, bright and cheery. All four games have their dark moments, the first two are reminiscent of the Gabriel Knight, and although there are supernatural elements, they don't go the full fantasy setting that games such as Dreamfall do.

Better still, in many places in the world these games are incredibly, if not sinfully cheap to get hold of.

Although the story remains in limbo, Still Life is fantastic game to play. Most puzzles are item based although some appear quite perversely obtuse in their design.
Again, this is quite dark. 50% of it is based in current day New York if I’m correct. The other 50% goes into 1929 Prague. But don’t turn away from it because of that, Prague is one of the best locations from any adventure I’ve played. The pre-rendered graphics are VERY atmospheric. And again, if you like the Gabriel Knight games, you’ll feel right at home here.
You should be able to download the demo here:
http://www.gamershell.com/download_8479.shtml
Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Oh blimey I hope you've played Broken Sword?

If not, please check them out. The first two in particular are near perfect for story and dialog. If you're more interested in a visually darker settings (as what appears to be the case with many of the game's you've listed), the latter two might be what you're looking for, although not pre-rendered.

Don't be held back with the original two because they look cartoonish, bright and cheery. All four games have their dark moments, the first two are reminiscent of the Gabriel Knight, and although there are supernatural elements, they don't go the full fantasy setting that games such as Dreamfall do.
Better still, in many places in the world these games are incredibly, if not sinfully cheap to get hold of.
Whooooops! Forgot to put them in the list! I'll go back to edit the first post and add them. And you're right, they are reminiscent of what Gabriel Knight looked & felt like. I like both series a lot. "Visually darker": I'll have to remember that when I talk to people about what kind of adventure games I like .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Although the story remains in limbo, Still Life is fantastic game to play. Most puzzles are item based although some appear quite perversely obtuse in their design.
Again, this is quite dark. 50% of it is based in current day New York if I’m correct. The other 50% goes into 1929 Prague. But don’t turn away from it because of that, Prague is one of the best locations from any adventure I’ve played. The pre-rendered graphics are VERY atmospheric. And again, if you like the Gabriel Knight games, you’ll feel right at home here.
You should be able to download the demo here:
http://www.gamershell.com/download_8479.shtml
Oh! Indeed! I actually did play "Post Mortem" as well, of which I believe "Still Life" is a sequel! Very well, definetly added to my "to play" list. Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris Pandry View Post
If you like fiddling with and re-assembling inventory items then Return to Mysterious island is probably what you'd like.

Voyage is another title with similar combine / assemble puzzles by the same studio I believe.
Return to Mysterious island, added to "to play" list as well! The other one isn't exactly my tastes.. Thanks a lot to you as well, Cris Pandry

Last edited by ZeframCochrane; 12-05-2007 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #9

Black Mirror
Nibiru

Good games...not perfect but enjoyable
Old 12-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurken View Post
Black Mirror
Nibiru

Good games...not perfect but enjoyable
Lol extremely interesting! Black Mirror looks nice, but Nibiru is just about exactly what I was looking for! This screenshot delivers quite well the kind of feeling I look for:

Thanks skurken!

Wow this thread gets more and more interesting!

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 12-05-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: resized image
Old 12-06-2007, 03:59 AM   #11
Senior *female* member

Perhaps Runaway and its sequel...?
Or Operation Winter Sun.

Don't know if they'll run on your system though.

But there are also many golden oldies to choose from, like The Riddle of Master Lu (DOS game).
Old 12-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #12
King Silly

Was going to suggest Nibiru as well. It's pretty good game. I was often annoyed by it though, the game has so much unnecessary back-and-forthing. But still, it kinda gave me the same feelings as if I was playing Broken Sword.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #13

since you are fun of older games, have you played 'the last express'
? it's a must for adventure gamers
anna
Old 12-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #14

Wow, since you're being all so helpful, I'd like to thank every one of you! Thanks a lot, I'm really finding a lot of cool games with this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
Perhaps Runaway and its sequel...?
Or Operation Winter Sun.
Don't know if they'll run on your system though.
But there are also many golden oldies to choose from, like The Riddle of Master Lu (DOS game).
Runaway and its sequel look really like the first two Broken Sword games! I'll definetly note them down for future reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelS View Post
Was going to suggest Nibiru as well. It's pretty good game. I was often annoyed by it though, the game has so much unnecessary back-and-forthing. But still, it kinda gave me the same feelings as if I was playing Broken Sword.
Thanks to skurken's hint, I'm playing NiBiRu now, and I'm quite happy! You would've certainly suggested right, MikaelS, thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaluna View Post
since you are fun of older games, have you played 'the last express'
? it's a must for adventure gamers
anna
"The last express"!! Of course! Hehe I had completely forgotten about it. Noted down. Thank you very much, annaluna.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:00 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Cloud88

id recomend FOTAQ - Flight of the amazon queen.
its great and has been released for free by the devs, its on scummvm's website, even the talky version is there! xD i say at least try it, its an oldy (95) but a goody!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud88 View Post
id recomend FOTAQ - Flight of the amazon queen.
its great and has been released for free by the devs, its on scummvm's website, even the talky version is there! xD i say at least try it, its an oldy (95) but a goody!
Hehehe yep, I've already played every SCUMM game there is out there... at least I think.. but thanks for the suggestion

And, you're right, it's definitely a goody! I liked it a lot
Old 12-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #17

I don't know how non-supernatural you want your game to be, but I just finished playing the Chzo Mythos quadrilogy. It contains ghosts and stuff, but its not too wacky or off the wall.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #18
Freeware Co-ordinator

Better still the Chzo Mythos quadrilogy is free. The four games (in order) are

5 Days a Stranger
7 Day a Skeptic
Trilby's Notes
6 Days a Sacrifice

There were also some mini text adventures that served as tasters and added back story to the last game. They are available at the bottom of the page for that game.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 12-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodude10 View Post
I don't know how non-supernatural you want your game to be, but I just finished playing the Chzo Mythos quadrilogy. It contains ghosts and stuff, but its not too wacky or off the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Better still the Chzo Mythos quadrilogy is free. The four games (in order) are

5 Days a Stranger
7 Day a Skeptic
Trilby's Notes
6 Days a Sacrifice

There were also some mini text adventures that served as tasters and added back story to the last game. They are available at the bottom of the page for that game.
Oh, interesting! Thank you both, I'll check them out too!