You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Old Adventure Game Buying Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Adventure Newbie

Default Old Adventure Game Buying Advice

I'm a relatively new fan of adventure games, and I'm trying to get my hands on as many of the classics as possible, mostly through Amazon. So far I've been doing pretty well with staying close to $10 for each game (new), but others aren't nearly as cheap and often the used prices aren't much better. Now this may be a stupid question, but what advice can any of you give me for purchasing these games? Do prices always rise whether they're new or used? Or does it pay to sometimes wait a bit? For instance, I had The Last Express (new) in my "shopping cart" and the price just went up $10, so I bought it right away before it got any higher--the closest competing price is still much, much higher, so I don't know what's stopping them from raising it even more. On the other hand sometimes incredible deals come out in the form of a reissue; for instance, right now Broken Sword 1 and 2 are packaged for just $10.

I usually like to buy things new, but if a new price is absurd and a used price is a good deal--and if it's in good condition--I'll take it. I know a lot of you bought these games a long time ago somewhere around the time they were released, but I'm sure there are other newer fans out there. So do prices drop even if there isn't a reissue? Or should I just buy now because they won't be getting any cheaper? Or does is all simply depend on luck?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Super Moderator

People on Amazon Marketplace will charge whatever they feel like. If you want to get an idea of what kinds of prices some games are going for, check eBay.

Even games that can be expensive on eBay (and have tons of people bidding on them) can be found cheaply. If you're patient and keep checking, you may run into some inexpensively.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
Caffein Queen

Since Im an impatient soul, I have a hard time waiting for prices to fall.
But it might me a good idea.

Now I'm not sure exactly how far you're willing to go to get your hands on the classic AG's.
Here I mean the Gabriel Knight series for one, which can only be obtained through Amazon Marketplace.
It ended up costing me a great deal of money, because I had to have them, lol

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 12-04-2007, 11:57 PM   #4
Flatulent Philanthropist

Hi misslilo and Progglerock,

Amazon games are frequently highly priced. If I was you I'd stick to eBay, GameTZ and TradeGamesNow (TGN).

The Gabriel Knight games are very often seen on eBay, and can be won for lowish prices.

GameTZ is very good though.

Have fun!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #5
Freeware Co-ordinator

From experience I'd say your best bet is to fix a price you don't want to pay more than and then just be patient. Often a game going for a high price will result in many more copies appearing which, due to the larger supply, go for much less.

When I first joined eBay I got into a bidding war on a copy of Phantasmagoria. Up to something like £50 when I decided to give it up. Two more copies popped up and I put £10 bids on both without much hope. I won both. Sorted out a Christmas present for a gaming friend that year.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
Sar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggleRock View Post
I'm a relatively new fan of adventure games, and I'm trying to get my hands on as many of the classics as possible, mostly through Amazon. So far I've been doing pretty well with staying close to $10 for each game (new), but others aren't nearly as cheap and often the used prices aren't much better. Now this may be a stupid question, but what advice can any of you give me for purchasing these games? Do prices always rise whether they're new or used? Or does it pay to sometimes wait a bit? For instance, I had The Last Express (new) in my "shopping cart" and the price just went up $10, so I bought it right away before it got any higher--the closest competing price is still much, much higher, so I don't know what's stopping them from raising it even more. On the other hand sometimes incredible deals come out in the form of a reissue; for instance, right now Broken Sword 1 and 2 are packaged for just $10.

I usually like to buy things new, but if a new price is absurd and a used price is a good deal--and if it's in good condition--I'll take it. I know a lot of you bought these games a long time ago somewhere around the time they were released, but I'm sure there are other newer fans out there. So do prices drop even if there isn't a reissue? Or should I just buy now because they won't be getting any cheaper? Or does is all simply depend on luck?
Here is another source, www.half.com
That site is owned by ebay but it works like amazon sellers. You can find all kinds of games, movies and music cds. Prices range from ultra cheap to the absurd. Thing is you never know what you will find. I got a very good used GK 1 for a buck and three dollars shipping. Just one more source. I don't sell anything there because Half ( ebay ) takes too big a cut from the seller. As I recall 10-15 percent of the selling price and what hackles me is they take a cut out of your shipping charge as well. But for buyers you can often find something interesting
Old 12-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
Adventure Newbie

Thanks for the advice, guys. You've all be really helpful. One last question: Would you consider $50 for GK and GK2 together (new, shipping price included) a good deal? I looked at the "Completed Listings", but you can only go back a month or so, which wasn't really helpful.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
Caffein Queen

Hmm, not sure.
I paid around $90 for all 3 of Gabriel Knight.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #9
Sar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggleRock View Post
Thanks for the advice, guys. You've all be really helpful. One last question: Would you consider $50 for GK and GK2 together (new, shipping price included) a good deal? I looked at the "Completed Listings", but you can only go back a month or so, which wasn't really helpful.
You may do better for used copies but if they are new it is not bad. Consider they are 25 each and both on the all time top ten games list it's a steal. With tongue firmly in cheek there are a lot of $29.95 priced new games out there that are no where near as good.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
Caffein Queen

Just fell upon this site, that sells some cool old DOS classics, which actually play in XP - some even in Vista!

Link removed! By myself!

Last edited by misslilo; 12-10-2007 at 11:44 AM. Reason: See my post below.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #11
Super Moderator

I don't like how they're selling Beneath a Steel Sky, Lure of the Temptress and Flight of the Amazon Queen - they're all freeware.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
Caffein Queen

Quote:
I don't like how they're selling Beneath a Steel Sky, Lure of the Temptress and Flight of the Amazon Queen - they're all freeware.
I know, but some people might see beyond that, since they don't have to hazzle with DOSbox or ScummVM themselves this way.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #13
Flatulent Philanthropist

A lot of these games get sold as originals on eBay these days. Saying that they are XP-compatible. Frequently with fairly convincing looking packaging. Annoying for collectors and dubious in terms of legality. I, for instance, saw 'Puppet Motel' being sold in a DVD -case on eBay recently. The DVD -case stated that it was an XP-compatible game and, when I asked the seller if it was original, he said it was an original release and very collectible. Same for Armaeth, Bud Tucker, Igor: Objective Uikokahonia, and many, many others. Strange as, in the case of the latter example, only last week did Igor's developers announce that they were NOW happy to release it as freeware!

Also, as already said, something stinks about selling games that are already freeware. Surely that's either unethical or actually illegal. I suppose it's a case of ...... if no-one can be bothered to complain then it's worth their while to chance it. To me, selling these is even more dubious than free downloads of abandonware and, especially, assumed abandonware though.

Perhaps I'm biased in my view being a collector/player and all! Still think it sounds dodgy though.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #14
Caffein Queen

Hmm, I dodged a little further into the site, and found it's actually abandonware.
Seems the price for the games, are for making the games playable on XP and Vista.

Gonna remove the link..

Old 12-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #15

Just curious, but i found the following Adventure titles for $10 each. Are they worth it?
-Syberia
-Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None
-Nibiru: Age of Secrets
Old 12-17-2007, 02:11 AM   #16
Caffein Queen

Personally I think they are
I wouldn't mind paying that for each of them.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:43 AM   #17

ok, thanks.
All I know is that i'm going to open them on Christmas

Last edited by Marrow; 12-20-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 AM   #18
Banned User

Marrow, Syberia is worth $1,000. Though if you play through the first one you will want to play through the 2nd one as well. The story goes on.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #19

If you're looking for older Lucasfilm games, you should be able to find them from foreign markets (if you don't already live in Europe). They come in DVD cases, and are only about 15 dollars. Its good if you only care about playing the game, not collecting.