You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Treasure Hunter

Default Creepy Adventures

One of the big problems I have is that I love the occult, but I have a fear of being afraid. Therefor, I have trouble even playing a lot of adventure games. So, I can take creepy, (if any of you played 5 Days a Stranger, the parts which weren't a nightmare were the parts I could handle quite well) but when it gets to horror I can't take it (Like the nightmare in 5 Days a Stranger with the bathtub full of blood and the black skeleton). Some games looked just awesome to me, like Barrow Hill and Lights Out, but I'm too worried about being scarred to death to play them. So I was wondering if anyone here could reccomend some creepy games, that aren't fully horror games.

I'll provide a good definition for each:
Creepy - You have a feeling something may happen, though you don't know. Occasional noise in the background, but its expected. There is actually no monster stalking you though, and death is impossible. Lots of areas that are pretty light, and there may be someone to tell you it's all okay.

Horror - Something is happening. Something is going to happen, TO YOU. The difference is that its bad. It's horrible. Something wants to kill you, people are being killed. Ghosts are trying to lead you into traps. Blood, gore, creepy sounds, demonic voices.

Games that are "Creepy":
-Ben Jordan 3, 4
-And Then There Were None
(Seriously, some parts were)

Games that are "Horror":
-Five Days a Stranger
(I can barely stand this, and only when not playing full screen.)
-Last Half of Darkness

Anyone who can tell me games of the more Creepy variety? Mind you that these are both extremes, and I'd like to know what Barrow Hill is like as well.

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

Last edited by ShadeJackrabbit; 11-30-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
JKR

I saw the title and immediately came in to suggest 5 Days a Stranger.

Sorry I can't help more. I'm not a big fan of scary games either, so 5DaS is as close as I come to them!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Treasure Hunter

Yeah... I was recommended 5 Days a Stranger before, and I got halfway through it before a glitch stopped me from playing. Probably a good idea anyways. Well, thanks for trying.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Barrow Hill definitely. Dark Fall (1 & 2) definitely. Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder definitely. Scratches definitely! (there's a directors cut - I'd go with that one). Also the Last Half of Darkness series fits that bill as well. The first LHOD game is free and you can play it online.

You can search the Adventure forum for any of those and find others' opinions. Also use the Games A-Z to see the game info page (that has links to reviews and hopefully the official website - I added a bunch so I hope I didn't miss any). I think they fit your definition of creepy very well. They're all first person perspective. (I'm too lazy right now to give you links)
Old 11-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
King Silly

I think Scratches were on a creepy side and not on horror side. Sure, there were some noises ( scratching noise), but as I recall there was no gore and blood at all.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Treasure Hunter

Ooh. Now I actually can go and play Barrow Hill!

Yeah... blood and gore is really one of the main problems I have with horror. I find it so unnecessary a lot of the time. Not to mention physical injury is a real fear of mine, so anything where the main player gets hurt really creeps (if not freaks) me out.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
Treasure Hunter

Sorry to double post, by I'd like to say that I found LHOD demo too scary. To play. You see, I'm a serious wimp when it comes to this stuff. I mean, I found Ben Jordan 4 creepy... and Ben Jordan 3 had parts I really didn't like. When I'm talking about creepy, things like death and undead trying to kill you, or blood, or anything like that is past what I'm talking about. I'll update my first post again.

Last edited by ShadeJackrabbit; 11-30-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
QFG

Dark Fall.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #9

Been surfing these boards for quite some time, finally decided to register. Most posters are very much into their games and know there stuff, I have gotten a lot of good recommendations from this site. So I'll put one out there!

I think Still Life will suit you just fine. Creepy images presented in a a pretty lax manner, nothing jumps out at you....I'm about 3/4 of the way through now, and I think its a great story.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:55 AM   #10
The Quiet One

Still Life might be a good choice for him, but it does contain bloody violence and people getting brutally murdered. Scratches on the other hand should be right up his street.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 11-30-2007, 05:56 AM   #11
Backsliding Pagan

If you don't mind older games, I suggest Amber: Journeys Beyond, which is a game that I think fits your definition of creepy. Also, perhaps, Blackstone Chronicles, which frequently alludes to gore and violence but doesn't actually show any (if I remember correctly). Both games are heavy on atmosphere, but the player is never in danger (so to speak).
Old 11-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #12
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merricat View Post
If you don't mind older games, I suggest Amber: Journeys Beyond, which is a game that I think fits your definition of creepy. Also, perhaps, Blackstone Chronicles, which frequently alludes to gore and violence but doesn't actually show any (if I remember correctly). Both games are heavy on atmosphere, but the player is never in danger (so to speak).
Oh! Good recommendation, Merricat! AMBER is a brilliant game, which will make your skin crawl. It's probably my favorite 'scary' adventure game.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #13

Barrow Hill isn't too bad on the scare factor. At least I wasn't too scared by it. I don't really play too many scary games either because I'm a wimp. Sometimes I get curious though. I tried Scratches and it was really scary. It was a good game with an interesting story, but I don't know if I'd play it again.

Sanitarium might be right up your alley. It's kinda creepy, but not scary at all.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #14
Treasure Hunter

Wow, thanks for all the reccomendations! I tried the Dark Fall demo, and have to say I was very intrigued. I think I'm gonna have to go get it if I can. You guys are being a great help here. I'm actually hoping that if I can play enough creepy games, I can move onto the horror ones, and not have to worry about it.

It's interesting to see though how many other adventure gamers there are who don't like really scary games. Being able to hear your opinions has really helped add some games to my list, a list that was missing a lot on the occult. Anyways, thanks for the continuing help!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #15
QFG

I would actually un-recommend Still Life; if things like bathtubs of blood push you over the edge, the multiple violent murders and gore level of Still Life is going to be way past the pale. It's everything you list on your "horror" list.

I think you will really like Dark Fall - it fits your requirements perfectly.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #16
Treasure Hunter

The demo of Dark Fall was great, and after looking at the screenshots and the review, I think it's next on my buy list. One of the things that interested me was the ability to talk with ghosts. The 7th guest totally scared me because all the ghosts seemed to be trying to kill you. I mean, it's a total "everything out of your control is evil." That's something I really never liked in games about the occult. So when you either have more control (You can kill things in Resident Evil), or other things with control are good (ghosts that want to help you) it is not nearly as scary.

I looked over the screens and review of Still Life and came to the same desicion. Although it looks very interesting, the blood and gore is a bit too overboard for me. The scene in Nibiru with the person dead in their bathroom was unsettling to me, so Still Life is way too high on the scale.

But I think I've finally found one with Dark Fall. I also tried the demo of Barrow Hill, and found it also to be really interesting. Even though so much of the area was dark, I found that just by looking around and checking my surroundings my fears were put to rest. All the noises were expected as well, since it was a forest at night. The best part had to be when you're in the old barn, and you hear a rustling and something hitting metal nearby. Then you read the guy's journal and realize there's a resident squirrel.

So that's two more on the list. As for Scratches or Darkness Within, I haven't looked up on them yet, but I will be doing so soon.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:07 AM   #17
Dark fall fan

Send a message via MSN to Big Al

Man, I find DF 1 the scariest of them all. Ok, theres nobody attacking you, but the whole game and some scenes got me stressing like hell...
Barrow hill is similar but less scary, that ll be youre best choice.
Im playing The black mirror right now and i love it, its a game like Syberia, only a bit more scary".
Scratches seems for kids first couple of hours, but after that thall be a few disturbing scenes
Old 12-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #18
The Quiet One

And to those who will be playing creepy adventure games, remember to always use headphones and switch off all the lights for that extra effect.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #19
Dark fall fan

Send a message via MSN to Big Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
And to those who will be playing creepy adventure games, remember to always use headphones and switch off all the lights for that extra effect.
oh yea...

I always do that, except the lights, sometimes i turn off.
Dark fall (must play with headphones) will stress you uot if you play like this and thats the way you shoudl play it
Old 12-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #20
Treasure Hunter

Hello again everyone! I'd like to thank you all for your opinions, and now I have a little story...

"Twas the night of christmas, and in a certain house, a little kid was chasing a dog. I felt tired, and looked at the beutifal box before me. I wished that this would all be over soon, that I could play my game...

Barrow Hill."

Quite simply, I loved it. Finished it in a weekend, but I feel I'll be playing it again some lonely night. Great level of creepy, and it just gives that thrill of danger that makes it so fun. Lights were on, and though I had no headphones, I can say it was an amazing and fun experiance.

Thanks to all, and have a happy new year!