You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sam & Max - 201: Ice Station Santa

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #21

I'm definitely impressed with this game. I don't know how far through I am but I'm sure I've taken longer so far than I did to complete any of Season 1. The gameplay segueing into the title impressed me, even though I realise it's no different from having a cut scene.

I'm being hardcore (ish) and playing through without the hints, but I can't help but wonder if I'm missing out on some good lines - Reality 2.0's "King Arthur" discussion was one of my favourite bits and one I'd have missed if I were avoiding the hints.

Last edited by Bagpuss; 11-12-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Something I forgot to say.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #22
Club a seal or two

Genius. All of it.
I really digg forcing players to choose settings before the game starts. No squished intro, yay. It's one of those little touches that add extra polish.
January can't come soon enough.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #23
Under pressure.

Yeah, the pre-setup feature has been one of my wishes after playing episode one. With episode one, I would leave the room to get some coffee while the intro sequence was running. Then I'd return, change the settings to the highest levels, quit, and restart

I'm also happy with the widescreen support!

--Erwin
Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #24

Why isn't ep. 201 on Steam yet?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #25
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGz View Post
Why isn't ep. 201 on Steam yet?
I think Emily said something about how they would probably wait 'til the season was over first.
Like last time.

... And here it is! (on the question if season 2 would be going steam) So that's a maybe.

Last edited by fajerkaos; 11-14-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #26
fov
Rattenmonster

Yep, episodes will run on Telltale and GameTap first, then other places at the once the season is over. Think of it like a TV show that has a first run and then goes into syndication.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #27
Lurking Myst Missionary

I loved it, had me dying of laughter in a few places.
I felt like it went faster than some of the Ep 1 games did, and some of it didn't seem to flow as nicely. Not nearly enough things you could play with in Bosco's Love making him scream, though
Old 11-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #28
Psychonaut

Keep doing it and you get a boxing glove on the head.

Finished it.

Good start to the new season (Esp the hilarious setup screen). Soda Poppers were annoying and completely redundant. Hopefully that's the last we see of them.

Jimmy's son was *bleep* *Bleeping* funny.

Not sure about Stinky yet.

Overall great fun.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Yep, episodes will run on Telltale and GameTap first, then other places at the once the season is over. Think of it like a TV show that has a first run and then goes into syndication.
Noooo, I have to wait a whole year again to play it?
For some reason my creditcard got rejected each time I tried to get the episodes from Telltale. So I was really happy when the first season was available on Steam.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:44 AM   #30
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

Did you try using PayPal?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #31
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGz View Post
For some reason my creditcard got rejected each time I tried to get the episodes from Telltale. So I was really happy when the first season was available on Steam.
Did you ever email [email protected] about this?

If not, please do and I'll try to get it fixed.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #32

Thanks, I've just sent an email.
I'll try paypal in a few days, after I complete my registration there.

Edit: Oh, btw, I played the demo a week ago, it's fantastic! Looking forward to another great season! :>

Last edited by BuGz; 11-18-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #33
Dreamfall Soon!

Just finished the game and I totally loved every bit of it. It was interesting that I kept reading that the puzzles were harder but I honestly didn't think they were hard at all (I didn't use the hint system either). I played the entire game through without any lack of knowing what to do. I've been playing adventure games for a long time but I usually get stuck at some point in most games. The only thing that was even slightly tricky for me was

Spoiler:
Getting the glove from Jimmy --- Figuring out that I had to catch Mary at the rat trap and bring her back to the present for Jimmy

and even that only caused me a few minutes of hesitation. I had a harder time with some of the episodes in Season 1. Am I the only one who breezed through the puzzles in this one?

I still thoroughly enjoyed the game and I really can't wait until the next episode in January!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteAG View Post
Am I the only one who breezed through the puzzles in this one?
I felt that the difficulty was just right for me. I definitely felt a challenge (and therefore solving the puzzles felt rewarding), but was never so stuck that I had to go online to look for the answer (which had happened on some of the previous episodes, and felt unsatisfying). If it had been a game geared more towards puzzles (Aura, etc.), I'd probably have wanted a higher difficulty level, but for a comedic game, I want to feel somewhat challenged, but definitely not frustrated.

And the hint system worked very well (I had set it on a rather low level): I never reached a point where it gave me the solution to a puzzle, or even hints, but it told me what to focus on a couple of times, which was precisely the info I needed then (basically at the time when I was starting to feel unsure what to do next). So I was extremely happy with the game's difficulty, and it certainly contributed to my overall enjoyment of the game.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-26-2007, 03:33 AM   #35

The best of the series so far in my opinion...

If I remember correctly this is the first episode I finish without walkthrough...which is good.

Oh, and jimmy's son is by far the most *bleeping* funny character that appeared in a sam and max game.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #36

A challenging episode and a great opener to the season. I'm so stoked about the next one!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #37

I've been meaning to ask about one of the puzzles:

Spoiler:
Are Sybil's answers in the quiz predictable? I couldn't see a pattern and she seems to ignore what Sam tells her.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #38

I hear the second episode is set in the tropics on Easter Island, hence the Moai head on the presents selection computer in Santas workshop. I think that episode will be linked to the christmas future scene. I'll not spoil it for those who haven't finished episode 1 yet but for those who have where would you find that type of scene on an Island.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #39
Telltale Games

Regarding the trivia quiz puzzle:

Spoiler:
Yes, Sybil's answers are predictable. She always gets the question right.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #40

Didn't think of that - I got there randomly in the end. Thanks.