You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure playing adventure games over and over...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #1

Default playing adventure games over and over...

I hope that this doesn't sound too stupid, but I often play Adventure games over and over, you know? After all, you never know when you could've missed any blocks of speech e.g. on my third playthrough of Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars, I found out that by investigating the toolbox before giving the worker the newspaper makes him deliver a funny line about 'cracking his nut!' There are just all sorts of stuff you can miss on your first playthrough. However, finding new speech isn't the main reason I replay them; it's to live the experience over and over.

If I sound a bit stupid, then I apologise, but is there anybody out there who does this too?

Franklinstein
Old 10-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Super Moderator

No, you're not alone.

I've replayed Syberia I & II, The Longest Journey, both Darkfalls, Myst, Riven, Myst Exile many times. I'm sure I've forgotten some.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
King Silly

Yeah, you're definately not alone. It's something most of my friends never understand, how can I replay games like those? And these same people like to read several books over and over again, same with the movies yet they can't understand why play AG again?

Lately been playing more games over again, mostly to get inspiration for my own game under production ( NOT to copy, just to get inspiration and influence ) and it really helps to light some sparks in your stupid brain.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 PM   #4

Sure, I play games again. I re-read books all the time, so why not replay a game you enjoyed?

If it's a well-written game, you might spot things you never noticed the first time (not talking about non-linear gameplay or randomisation), just like you always see more in a book or movie the second -- or third, or tenth -- time round.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 AM   #5

I've lost count of the amount of times I've replayed Grim Fandango, Monkey Island and Broken Sword. 'A lot' doesn't even begin to cover it...

It was only the last time I played GF that I realised you could go down onto the deck of the SS Lola, right after you land at Puerto Zapato. I felt pretty stupid that I'd played the game so much and only just found it out.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:26 AM   #6

I've played all the Gabriel Knight games at least 4 times apiece. Especially in Blood of the Sacred, there's always something new to discover, even if it's just a comment on a painting in the hallway that I never noticed before. also, the Easter eggs are great.
I've also played King's Quest 8: Mask of Eternity about five times through. When I first got that game, I wasn't sure if I'd like it, and started out feeling frustrated, but after awhile everything seemed to just click, and I ended up really enjoying it and even though the graphics are dated, I can't help but be impressed by the care and attention to detail that went into it. I wish I could find something similar.