You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
Banned User

Default Zack and Wiki

There is a game coming out for the Wii called Zack and Wiki: something treasure. I was just wondering if the game 100% point and click ? I've read a few reviews and they say "30 enemies", "5 bosses", and you can die. I don't think I've ever played a game that's point and click with so many enemies.

I bought the Wii and have only 2 games for it. I want to play some more game. But if this isn't a a point and click, I'll pass.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Well it not exactly "Point'n click" even though in a sense it is.

It's a 3rd person adventure game that has huge amount of puzzles that are just the right kind of puzzles for adventure gamers and gamers in general.

If you've watched the many, many videos of it from for example gametrailers.com, you get the feeling.

It's one of the most exciting upcoming adventury games for the Wii and any platform.
It's actually one of the games that I would buy immediately for Wii if I had one. I'm counting on Christmas being a miracle time and maybe a miracle Nintendo Wii time.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Agent 5

The game isn't a typical point & click adventure game, per se. The game is controlled entirely through the use of the wiimote, pointing and pressing A to move, lift rocks, and interact with the environment in general. This includes solving puzzles, which the game has quite a number of. I believe it's currently holding the fifth spot on the Adventure Gamers hype-o-meter, actually. But none of that really matters as the game is about pirates, so, of course, you should get it.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
Banned User

I understand it is a 3D adventure game, and that you use the Wii remote. My question is, are there fighting scenes in it ? Do you have life points ? Or is it 100% puzzle ? Some of the sites list it as a "Point and click". If it really was a point and click why are there enemies and bosses ? I don't know of a Point and Click game that has boss battles.

Is it like Zelda ? Zelda has a lot of puzzles as well as boss battles.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
Agent 5

I have yet to see any fighting in the trailers I've watched(though, admittedly, I've only seen a few), nor have I seen any indication of life points, though yes, you can die. I think it's far more puzzle-centric than any of the Zelda games, which focused a bit more on action and platformer elements. As far as Boss Battles are concerned, I think the best way to answer that is with a quote from an interview IGN did with the game's producer:

IGN Wii: Do you have anything resembling boss fights in Z&W, or is it mostly awesome puzzle-solving?

Hironobu: Of course, there are boss battles! And, you have to solve puzzles to beat the bosses! We've thought of some very exciting puzzle-solving battles, so look forward to them.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #6

This used to be called Treasure Island Z. I'm hoping to get the Wii for Christmas and I'll probably pick up this game.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GageBlackwood View Post
I have yet to see any fighting in the trailers I've watched(though, admittedly, I've only seen a few), nor have I seen any indication of life points, though yes, you can die. I think it's far more puzzle-centric than any of the Zelda games, which focused a bit more on action and platformer elements. As far as Boss Battles are concerned, I think the best way to answer that is with a quote from an interview IGN did with the game's producer:

IGN Wii: Do you have anything resembling boss fights in Z&W, or is it mostly awesome puzzle-solving?

Hironobu: Of course, there are boss battles! And, you have to solve puzzles to beat the bosses! We've thought of some very exciting puzzle-solving battles, so look forward to them.
Wow !!!!! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks !!!
Old 10-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #8

If you want a classical point & click adventure game, this is probably not what you're looking for.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:35 AM   #9
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

I'm getting this.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 10-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to chiisu Send a message via Yahoo to chiisu
Default Can't wait for Zack & Wiki!

Got a 9.0 rating for IGN. Looks to be the next good adventure game since Twilight Princess.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:59 AM   #11
Puts the 'e' in Mark

The Japanese creator of Zack & Wiki has said that point-and-click adventure games were his main inspiration for the game.

Visually it looks a lot like a platformer, but every screen is actually made of puzzles. Some 'puzzles' may be a bit more physical than usual (i.e. making gestures with the Wii remote) but as far as I've been able to determine, it's not a game that actually uses action gameplay.

Looks like the type of game most AG visitors would find appealing.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:43 AM   #12

Its supposed to ship today in the USA and Aeris the automated caller from EBGamestop should be calling tonight to let me know I can pick up my reserved copy tomorrow (along with my reserved copy of Castlevania PSP). Should be a great weekend!!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #13
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Gamespot: 8.5:

the good:
Clever and unique puzzles that are challenging without being overly difficult
Plenty of different stages to play through, some with multiple solutions
Sharp graphics with excellent art style
Good use of the Wii Remote.

the bad:
Story and characters aren't especially interesting
Sometimes grating voice work.

they actually complain about little character development and too little dialogue. I can't be the only one that finds that ironic..

IGN: 9.0 review:

"All things considered, though, Z&W lives up to the hype that we helped generate. The end product is one of those welcomed surprises – an unpredictably top-quality undertaking whose winning marriage of sometimes-genius environmental puzzles and beautiful graphics will suck you in. It also perfectly encapsulates what I always hope for but seldom see from third parties: an original Wii project that really makes the most of the console. And don't' forget, Z-Dub retails for $39.99, $10 cheaper than most Wii games.

I've stated it before and I'll happily state it again: buy Zack & Wiki. If you do, maybe we'll get a sequel with twice as many levels and WiiConnect24 support for downloadable levels.
"

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 10-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #14
Irritant F0rum Beasty

The review even makes specific reference to the classics like Monkey Island and such. I officially hate this game.

(In other words I'm not a Wii owner and there's finally a Wii game I reaaaaally want to play, I wander whether I might have made the wrong choice going with an XBox 360 instead)

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:06 PM   #15
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Well Seed, you can always go for Wii60, like so many seem to have gone, hehheh...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:27 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

It seems the demand for the game has greatly surpassed the supply in most areas. Looking at other sites you can see people are visiting multiple B&M stores only to come up empty handed. Myself, I pre-ordered from Amazon a month ago and they have yet to ship out my order. I hope the initial small shipment doesn't deter people from looking. I hear many stores that did get the game in only got 1-3 copies.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #17
Protector of the Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813 View Post
It seems the demand for the game has greatly surpassed the supply in most areas. Looking at other sites you can see people are visiting multiple B&M stores only to come up empty handed. Myself, I pre-ordered from Amazon a month ago and they have yet to ship out my order. I hope the initial small shipment doesn't deter people from looking. I hear many stores that did get the game in only got 1-3 copies.
Maybe Capcom hasn't learned their lesson from the shortages of the first Phoenix Wright game.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #18

I had the same problem with Amazon and ended up canceling my order. Best Buy seems to be your best bet (har. har.) as most people I know were able to find their copy there. My gf grabbed mine from there as well and is sending it down to me.

Irritating it may be, but having demand for an adventure game on a console exceed supply is a very good thing. Hopefully the Wii will become a home to adventure games like the DS has.

I hope, because I have terrible luck running games on my laptop. Stupid integrated graphics card....
Old 11-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #19

This game is brilliant. My girlfriend and I have spend the past two nights working on it, and having a blast the entire time. It's VERY VERY similar to the "Gobliiins" series of games, if you've ever played those. So there is an overarching plot, and boss fights, and everything, but there's no ACTION moments, save for a few timed puzzles.

Great stuff though. The puzzles are hard, but not too too hard, and the game has a built in help system if you need it. A high recommend for anyone looking for a great adventure. Easily my favourite new adventure game in a LONG time.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:04 AM   #20

I'm with you there. I've spent the last few nights moving through it and it's incredible. Definitely the best Wii game out there, way better than TP, and probably going to be thrown in my top games of all time list.

The hint system works so well. I've used it only once (and then when it revealed what I had to do I thought "Oh, well duh.") and it really helps keep the game moving. I find I never get stuck on the puzzles of adventure games but do things like miss hotspots, which gets really frustrating. And since adventure games tend to come to a complete standstill when you're stuck I get frustrated. The hint system (and the non-linear elements) solve those problems so well and even when I've been stumped I've enjoyed it because I never felt like the game was paused or that I was missing something the designers should have pointed out to me.

Go buy it, for god's sake.