You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder demo out.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #1

Default Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder demo out.

Demo is great, I just tried it. What do you guys think of the game so far?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
Super Moderator

We have a link to the demo in our news item here.

I've not been able to try it yet. I will when I go home in a bit.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #3

thanks.. but not really into first person though ;/

I couldnt even get into myst.. for some reason, I like to see my char onscreen(3rd person)
Old 10-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
King Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGCrazied View Post
thanks.. but not really into first person though ;/

I couldnt even get into myst.. for some reason, I like to see my char onscreen(3rd person)
And here I thought I was the only one. I never even tried Myst game only because it was 1st person. For some odd reason I gave Scratches a shot I probably thought that maybe, maybe on horror adventure 1st person view is a good idea for atmosphere. Not really sure about that now, but I'm sure I still - and always - prefer my adventure games 3rd person and I have to be very bored to try 1st person AG.

Scratches was fine, by the way. BTW, not sure if I'm the only one who noticed, but now that I've played 5 days a stranger, it really was similar with Scratches story.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
Fulci lives

Just downloaded the demo and took it out for a spin.
The game has great atmosphere and is really creepy. Great stuff, i love it.
I preordered the game from a Swedish online store, and i should be getting it next week. Really looking forward to it.

By the way, isn't Darkness Within made by the same folks who made Scratches?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
Hopeful skeptic

Nope. Totally different developers, though there are a fair number of basic similarities between the two games.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

It's got great graphics and really, really great music and ambient sounds but there's not much interacting with the scenery and usually when you can interact with it you get some really basic descriptions. There's also a few bugs in the demo, you can pick up some objects again and again even if you already have them in your inventory and in one part I somehow managed to get an item in my inventory before even seeing it in the game. It's got promise and I'm sure I'll buy it because I'll buy any horror-related game but I'm hoping the final game might be a little more polished.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 10-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #8

i agree with disliking first-person but it worked for other creepy games like scratches and shivers. the demo is definitely promising. i've been trying not to spend money on unnecessary things but i might have to splurge here. then again, a good adventure game is sometimes very necessary.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
DON'T EAT THIS

I just played through the demo and the game looks very promising.
SamandMax already mentioned the bugs in the game, and I hope all it has been fixed for the final version.

I'm definitely looking forward for this one.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:43 AM   #10

Someone please help me, I am stuck in the demo. Spoilers ahead

Spoiler:
I got all 3 pieces of puzzle, insert them on the door, put that strange metallic key, I spin it all day but nothing happens, what did I miss

Last edited by Melanie68; 10-21-2007 at 06:37 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags
Old 10-21-2007, 02:54 AM   #11

A year ago I would have told you that I hated 1st person adventures with a passion. These days I'm playing them more frequently than 3rd persons, which all seem to be seeking the same 'realism' style. I play adventures to get away from realism so I've recently self indulged in Myst III and Amerzone (terrific games, both worth trying if wanting to get into 1st person).

Darkness Within gave me a really good impression. I couldn't get into Scratches because of the control style and the overtly stereotypical British accents and although I can't remember too much about it, I think it had way too many rooms.

Darkness Within has some terrific set pieces. The attic especially looks wonderful with the sun peering through. Does anyone know if there are any more rooms that have the same, slightly lighter touches?

There's also a good balance of the amount of things you can look at. Not too much and not too little.

WARNING: ANOTHER ONE OF MY RANTS

My only major gripe is the amount of damn reading that went on in the first room. Why can't developers find a better way of telling a story than just leaving notes just lying around the place.

Myst III was minimalist with the amount of reading, and Myst Revelation had voice actors read out letters if you just wanted to sit back and relax. Please developers, if you're reading this, put this into greater consideration.

END OF RANT

Will I buy this? I think I might just do so. I'd like to get my 26inch monitor 1st to make the experience that bit better though. I think that attic would look REAL good on a HD 26"
Old 10-21-2007, 07:21 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
There's also a few bugs in the demo, you can pick up some objects again and again even if you already have them in your inventory
I asked over at their forums and this is a demo-only bug (as this happened to me as well).

Quote:
and in one part I somehow managed to get an item in my inventory before even seeing it in the game
I forgot to ask about this one (but hopefully it's also demo-only).
Old 10-21-2007, 08:18 AM   #13
Lazy Bee

I just played the demo today and throughout the game I noticed a delay between me moving the mouse and the cursor moving on the screen. I have asked on the forums whether this is a bug as well. Perhaps it was my computer acting up.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #14
gt+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath View Post
Someone please help me, I am stuck in the demo. Spoilers ahead

Spoiler:
I got all 3 pieces of puzzle, insert them on the door, put that strange metallic key, I spin it all day but nothing happens, what did I miss
Spoiler:
look at the map you have in your inventory, look at the carved diagram near the statue
Old 10-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #15

Thanks, thats it
Old 10-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #16
Fulci lives

Just finished the demo, it got really creepy towards the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Nope. Totally different developers, though there are a fair number of basic similarities between the two games.
They are quite similar, that's probably why i like it so much.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #17

Default Stuck in the darkness within

I apologize in advance but I can't seem to find out how to start a new thread. I am stuck at the door. Spoilers ahead!
Spoiler:
I have placed the tiles in the door and set the key to double circles at six o'clock, arc at two and circle at eleven but I don't know what to do next.

Please help.
Thanks,
Mrs Madrigal
Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmadrigal View Post
I apologize in advance but I can't seem to find out how to start a new thread.
For future reference, when you are in the main subforum (adventure, general, hints, etc.), there is a button at the top called 'New Thread.' You just click on that.

Your hint request is fine right here for this time. Usually for games, we like to have them in the hints forum but for demos, it's just as easy to have them mixed in (especially if there aren't a ton of them - We take it on a case by case basis).
Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 AM   #19

Yo, on the main hall, is it possible to walk down the stairs, across the room and up the stairs on the other side? It looks like you're able to go there but my mouse won't let me. Has this location be disabled for the demo?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #20
DON'T EAT THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Yo, on the main hall, is it possible to walk down the stairs, across the room and up the stairs on the other side? It looks like you're able to go there but my mouse won't let me. Has this location be disabled for the demo?
Nope.
You can't go to there.
"Of such great powers or beings there may be conceivably a survival... a survival of a hugely remote period when... consciousness was manifested, perhaps, in shapes and forms long since withdrawn before the tide of advancing humanity... forms of which poetry and legend alone have caught a flying memory and called them gods, monsters, mythical beings of all sorts and kinds...."