You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Vigilant

Default Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility

Alright, so I got overzealous purchasing loads of AG's on Ebay and obtained Still Life, Syberia 1&2, and Broken Sword which are all for the original Xbox. When I began to play Still Life, an error message popped up claiming an update is needed. I checked all the others and guess what? Same exact message. Have they not created the proper updates for these games on Xbox 360 yet? I would hate to think I spent cash on these just to wait to play them later or, heaven forbid, never......

Anyone got any news on this?
Old 09-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
Psychonaut

The 360 uses software emulation to play Xbox games and this means a large amount of Xbox games will not run at the moment.

Updates come out every so often which increases the backward compatibility.

The list of compatible games appears here http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/back...ygameslist.htm (US) http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/back...ygameslist.htm (UK)

I don't think Still Life works.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #3

As said in post # 2 not all games for the original Xbox can be played on the new Xbox 360.
I think you will need to buy an original Xbox to play your games. The good news is that you
probably only will have to pay about USD100-200 to get it

Last edited by aries323; 09-30-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
Vigilant

I can't believe games like State of Emergency and Super Bubble Pop recieved an emulator and critically acclaimed Syberia and other adventures haven't even been touched. That cannot be right.

There is no way I am going to purchase an Xbox when I have its superior circular brother even if the games I want to play are only compatible with it. I guess I have to indulge myself with a wait.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
QFG

If you live in the US, the original XBox can be had for less than $50 at stores like EB Games or GameStop, where you can trade-in systems for store credit.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:45 AM   #6

Seems like most adventure games I'd like to play won't work on the 360 (e.g. Broken Sword).
Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
Vigilant

Well, if I would purchase Xbox, it would be off of Ebay, but I am not going to, so that is a moot point.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #8

I couldn't believe it either when I saw that Barbie's Horse Adventure had received an emulator so it now can be played on the Xbox 360.

And fans of Morrowind couldn't believe it either. Luckily, it now seems that it all has fallen into place and Morrowind can be played on the Xbox 360.

Might I ask why you didn't purchase (or buy) the games you wanted to play
for the PC?

I think that the companies that made Still Life, and Syberia 1+2 are now long gone, and for these games to receive an emulator, it would actually require that Microsoft made an agreement with -ehm- the publishers or the developers of these games. And as they are gone the way of the dodo, meaning they're extinct, or as good as, MS can't make an agreement with them.

It's also a business decision, I think. Barbie's Horse Adventures will continue to sell well, I think, since parents will buy this game for their young girls Still Life, Syberia 1+2+Broken Sword, although they maybe sold well when they were first released, the income they will provide now for say MS, or
Revolution.co.uk will be very small indeed.

There might be technical difficulties as well...

/aries323
Old 10-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
Vigilant

I did not purchase the games for PC because I am away for business and am utilizing a less than capable laptop that will not be able to handle these games. I guess I do not have a choice now, though.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
I couldn't believe it either when I saw that Barbie's Horse Adventure had received an emulator so it now can be played on the Xbox 360.

And fans of Morrowind couldn't believe it either. Luckily, it now seems that it all has fallen into place and Morrowind can be played on the Xbox 360.

Might I ask why you didn't purchase (or buy) the games you wanted to play
for the PC?

I think that the companies that made Still Life, and Syberia 1+2 are now long gone, and for these games to receive an emulator, it would actually require that Microsoft made an agreement with -ehm- the publishers or the developers of these games. And as they are gone the way of the dodo, meaning they're extinct, or as good as, MS can't make an agreement with them.

It's also a business decision, I think. Barbie's Horse Adventures will continue to sell well, I think, since parents will buy this game for their young girls Still Life, Syberia 1+2+Broken Sword, although they maybe sold well when they were first released, the income they will provide now for say MS, or
Revolution.co.uk will be very small indeed.

There might be technical difficulties as well...

/aries323
No, you got it all wrong. It's not a "decision" at all, kind of. They start out by making a game compatible, and when they do, others will automatically follow, because it uses the same engine and stuff like that. It's not like the BC guys decided to make games like Barbie's Horse Adventures compatible, it just kind of happens as a side effect.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:17 AM   #11
Vigilant

So does that mean that I still have a chance that they could create an emulator or should I get rid of these games on Ebay?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 AM   #12
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack View Post
I can't believe games like State of Emergency and Super Bubble Pop received an emulator and critically acclaimed Syberia and other adventures haven't even been touched. That cannot be right.

There is no way I am going to purchase an Xbox when I have its superior circular brother even if the games I want to play are only compatible with it. I guess I have to indulge myself with a wait.
It all has to do with how easily the game can e emulated. Not on the popularity of the games.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #13
Vigilant

Well, I can't imagine that if the original Halo did not have superior sequels, it wouldn't be emulated to Xbox 360 just because it was difficult to do. I have a feeling popular opinion has more to the process then just ease of emulation.

By the way, I am selling Syberia 1&2, Still Life, and Broken Sword on Ebay if anyone is interested, seeing as though I won't be able to play them now. If you bid on and win a game and are from this forum, I will give you half off shipping.

Last edited by TangentBlack; 10-02-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #14

You should have waited mate, the xbox compatability list is expanding all the time. When i got my ps3, nothing worked, and now its great.