You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How much would you spend on an adventure game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 04:50 AM   #1
Adventurer

Default How much would you spend on an adventure game?

Yesterday I bought the Bioshock Collector's Edition for 60 Euros. The "plain" edition comes at 50 Euros (note: All I need now is to buy the PC that will be able to play the game! ).

So, my question for today is how much would you be willing to spend on an adventure game:
  1. If it was in episodic format
  2. If it was in the "traditional" format we all know
How many of you wait until a game goes into the bargain bin or becomes part of a collection?

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #2

Hard to say, depends on how much enjoyable playtime I would expect to get from it, especially nowadays with the internet is so easy to go to for hints when stuck (which in my opinion can totally ruin it).

On the other hand, all the good classic games I've played have given me hours and hours, if not even days and weeks (combined of course) of fun, and looking at it in retrospective I could easily have paid 3-4 times more than what I did for them and still not be disappointed.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #3

Well..I usualy buy 5-6 full price games each year and about 10 other games when they drop down in price or are re-released.

Episodic? Max 20$ and even that is stretching it a bit
Old 09-09-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
Adventurer

What is the duration of an episodic game that you would consider worthy of your $20?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:08 AM   #5

I'm both cheap and chronically broke, so I go for the bargain bins and second-hand shops. I'll pick up just about anything that catches my eye for £5 or less, and be only slightly more picky for prices up to £10. Anything over £15 has got to be something I really want, or else be a collection. I don't have any problem with waiting a few years for a good game to fall into the bargain category.

I play mostly on a Windows 98 laptop and am perfectly happy to buy games that are 10 years old or even more. Actually, I'm far more picky about buying newer stuff that won't run on W98.

Very, very rarely I'll grab something extra-special at full price when it comes out, and I'm seriously considering Bioshock right now. But for the price, there are various books and other things I'd rather have, and leave Bioshock for later.

The idea of episodic games doesn't hold any attraction at all. I doubt I'd bother with one even if it was free.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Eclipse View Post
What is the duration of an episodic game that you would consider worthy of your $20?
at least 4 hours
Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
If it was in episodic format
It would depend on the amount of episodes and their length, but I probably wouldn't go higher than $10. It'd have to be a very special game for me to buy it episodic though...

Quote:
If it was in the "traditional" format we all know
Online; $20 to $30 beause of S&H. If I'm buying retail though, I might go higher, or if it's a game I really want. Not often though.

Quote:
How many of you wait until a game goes into the bargain bin or becomes part of a collection?
Generally, I purchase games when I travel to the US once every couple of years, so it's not so much that I wait for them to go to the bargain bin. I rarely buy games as new releases though, I can count the times I've done that in one hand.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblebad View Post
Hard to say, depends on how much enjoyable playtime I would expect to get from it, especially nowadays with the internet is so easy to go to for hints when stuck (which in my opinion can totally ruin it).
Words straight out of my mouth.

If a story is good, I'll play a game countless times. Even if it only takes 4-5 hours to complete I'd replay a second time and then in a year or so again.

I downloaded Nick Bounty episode 2 and have played through it about 3 times. Must have spent a good few hours. I felt so guilty playing it so much I paypaled the developers about £5 ($10).

On the other hand, there are some terrible full games I get angry having even picked up for £3.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #9
Ronin

Depends on the game, really. There are some adventure games listed on eBay for less than $2, but I'm just not interested in them.

If the question is: "what is the most you would spend on an AG?" I would have to say about US$50. That's probably the most I have ever spent on one, and it was something that I really wanted and knew I could enjoy for 20+ hours.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to KFMN

It all depends on the game at hand, but for a really good game I would gladly pay full price (30-40-50$ that would mean here, depending on how popular the game is expected to become).

Money is not a big issue for me, so if something deserves it I will gladly put money into it. But if I don't think a game or movie would be worth the money, then I often just download them.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #11

Well, I spent $70 on 'Runaway 2'. So yeah, I'm a big spender on new Adventures.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:10 AM   #12

I bought the Limited Edition for Dreamfall - The Longest Journey - and I paid about 90-100USD for it, I think. However I have looked for older adventure games like GK1, or the Tex Murphy series or Sanitarium or some older games like this.

The games, however, tend to cost like 150-300 USD and I don't want to use that amount of money to pay for an adventure game. Maybe if I was a millionaire....or something similar, but currently I need to live in a very tight budget as I'm unemployed currently. This puts a damper on my game buying abilities...
Old 09-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #13

For older games in a sales bin, I would pay $10 - $15 - $20. I wouldn’t buy a game with a very poor rating or with a lot of gratuitous violence … even if they were selling it for $1.

For newer adventure games, I would pay $40, $50, $60 (sometimes more) IF the game has a good rating and gives several hours (8 - 12) of actual playtime AND if it has an actual beginning, middle and end.

This applies to both episodic and “traditional” format. Df is such a major disappointment, partly because I paid quite a bit for it and it had no ending. I expect more … even if the game is part of a series. Also, if it ends with cliffhangers, I expect the box cover to own up to it, especially if the follow up game is uncertain and slated to be in an entirely different format than the previous game.

I want to add that I'm willing to pay more than a sales price for an older game that is a classic or had a pretty good rating. For example, I couldn't find games like Syberia 2 or Grim Fandango in a sales bin so went online and paid about $30 each I think.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)

Last edited by AprilLives; 09-12-2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:41 AM   #14
Adventurer

Once again, very informative answers.