You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure games for Xbox 360?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #1

Default Adventure games for Xbox 360?

Hi!

I realize I'm setting myself up for trolling by what I'm about to say. But I've recently bought an Xbox 360 and I was wondering if there are any real adventure games out for it. I'm aware that it's not really the platform of choice for the genre, but there are adventure games for other consoles, so maybe there are for mine as well (or maybe some are in development).

To put more fuel on the fire, I'm also running the Xbox 360 on a standard definition CRT television , so a game with a really small font would bother me.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I can't think of any AG's that are out specifically for the 360 at the moment, but CSI Hard Evidence is being developed for it.

There are the few titles that were released for the original Xbox that might be compatible too (e.g. Still Life), but I know absolutely nothing about that.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Check out these threads as well. They'll talk about some of the games Dale mentioned.

# 1

# 2

Old 09-08-2007, 07:35 AM   #4

Oh, existing threads! Use the search function, noob!

Didn't even think about Xbox backwards compatibility, that's a great idea. Dreamfall comes to mind. I still think that being comfortably on your couch with a controller is a great way to plough through an adventure game.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
Super Moderator

No worries, I knew where those threads were. That's what I get paid the big bucks for. (kidding, there are no big bucks, just warm fuzzies).
Old 09-08-2007, 08:12 AM   #6

Still, I don't think there are any adventure games out for Xbox 360, with the fancy graphics and all. It's not high on the list for adventure games, but it's nice to have and not all Xbox games are compatible.

I hope some developers will jump into this in the future.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

All we can do is hope.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #8

Yeah, I know a lot of people hated Dreamfall and stuff, but if they took it to the next level, as in just an interactive story adventure on "next-gen", I would be extremely happy.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:00 AM   #9

I'd like to see some AGs on the 360. If nothing else, maybe I could finally get all 1000 achievement points in a game.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:15 AM   #10

In my continued search for good adventure games for the Xbox 360, I have come up with extremely little. Theseis seems to be one of the very few coming out in the future. Most of the good Xbox games seem to be not compatible on Xbox 360 (and by not compatible I mean: will not work at all, as each game needs an emulation profile supplied by Microsoft or it's no go-- as far as I understand it). Many other (compatible) Xbox games show glitches on the 360, too.

The problem is further compounded by the fact most sites call every action game an "adventure" game these days, which I wouldn't mind so much if these were at least quality games with a good story and a rich world. This, however, seems to be as rare as real adventure games on Xbox 360...
Old 09-12-2007, 02:23 AM   #11
3rd person fanatic :)

I left Xbox alone when I checked what games it provides. Answer is: Fisrt person shooters, war games and so on... Absolutely nothing interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
The problem is further compounded by the fact most sites call every action game an "adventure" game these days, which I wouldn't mind so much if these were at least quality games with a good story and a rich world. This, however, seems to be as rare as real adventure games on Xbox 360...
Yep. Very true. My frinend told me not so long time ago, that some guy in E(lectronic)A(rts) has opened his eyes and was worried by fact, that "what shit are they making, games are way too much alike" or someting like that. Action game that is called an adventure game is HUGE insult for real adventure games and that kind of thinking should be stopped immidiately. At least my opinion is that real adventure game does not include action elements at all, but RPG's are different matter then... They are some kind of nice mixture of story and action, but they're not fortunately called adventures so straigtly, because RPG's have so strong and long background and own fans.

Last edited by MoonBird; 09-12-2007 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBird View Post
I left Xbox alone when I checked what games it provides. Answer is: Fisrt person shooters, war games and so on... Absolutely nothing interesting.
Well, some first-person shooters are still decent and have a good atmosphere and story. I'm not big into FPS games any more, but I've liked graphical excellence since the day I saw Doom and I don't mind some good action sometimes. But yeah, most stuff I see on Xbox 360 these days are Sci-Fi/war shooters, or racing/sports games, which are not among my favourite genres.

Fortunately, there's more to Xbox 360, though. I use it as a media extender for my PC, so I can stream my mp3 and video collection to my living room. Arcade Live is also interesting, with classic games getting a 360 make-over for cheap.

Quote:
Action game that is called an adventure game is HUGE insult for real adventure games and that kind of thinking should be stopped immidiately. At least my opinion is that real adventure game does not include action elements at all, but RPG's are different matter then... They are some kind of nice mixture of story and action, but they're not fortunately called adventures so straigtly, because RPG's have so strong and long background and own fans.
I'm not opposed to some action in an adventure game; in fact, there have been action in adventure games in the form of mini-games going back as far as the Space Quest series (and probably before that). I also don't think it's a problem if an adventure game gives you direct control (non-point-n-click, like some 2.5D and 3D adventure games) or let you loose in a fully established 3D world. Action is not the same as combat, after all, even though combat sometimes works in an adventure game, too.

A game like Zelda: Occarina of Time could conceivably be called an adventure of sorts; just not a pure or traditional one, but it's got the thing going for it that makes it interesting to explore and find out more. On the puzzle side it would probably fall short, though. However, most "action" games today are nothing but button mashers, which can be your thing, but it's hardly deep gameplay and definitely not adventure. In an adventure game, I want to feel adventurous, as if I'm part of something epic. A story.

If it does that, I don't mind some action in my games. Okay, with a few puzzles thrown in as well, it might even make a great adventure game.

Last edited by Thaurin; 09-12-2007 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:14 AM   #13
3rd person fanatic :)

Quote:
However, most "action" games today are nothing but button mashers, which can be your thing, but it's hardly deep gameplay and definitely not adventure. In an adventure game, I want to feel adventurous, as if I'm part of something epic. A story.
Yes, that was my point... I have to add, that maybe... just maybe I was turning this thing a bit too Black & white It's like a line drawn in the water sometimes. But yes, the point was really that nowadays games suffer from bad story development and lack of rich idea. FPS games are mostly sensless shooting and war playing games.... And thanks for adding sport games, which I forgot
Old 09-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #14

I played Dreamfall on my 360 and loved it. Sure, the 360 is not the best platform for adventure games, but it was big fun to play Dreamfall on it. Anyway, I wouldn't pay 60 Euros for an adventure game (bought Dreamfall cheap on Ebay), but maybe adventure might be something interesting for XLA (as a mid-price download)?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:12 AM   #15

The graphics aren't as good, but I really enjoyed Dreamfall on the XBox. The game seems to have been built with the controller in mind.

Fighting is still horrible. I won by button mashing.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #16

Dreamfall on the xbox is pretty gimped in terms of graphics compared to the windows version. You'd expect a title for the xbox not to have gimped character models.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 AM   #17
Vigilant

As mentioned before, Theseis seems like the only game in development for the 360. I knew at the start of my purchase of the system that I wasn't going to be playing many adventures on it. My main reason of purchase was just so I could avoid upgrading my computer to play the higher end games of interest to me. I hope that I am suprised and a new game will be unannounced, but the 360 game devs are primarily concerned with big impact/epic crowd-drawing games. I remember hearing somewhere that City of Metronome was being developed for the Ps3 and 360, but it could have only been a rumor; I don't even know that Metronome will be released at all now.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #18

The PS2 had some great games with adventure elements in it.

The 360 so far is pretty devoid of these type of games. However, Bioshock is on it and although Bioshock is not a pure adventure game it does have a strong story. Condemmed had some good story elements too. I hear that Origin of the Species is comming to the 360. Origin of the Species certainly seems to be about a spunky late-teens Lara Croft clone named "Dirt" who has a run-in with the military and somehow ends up wielding paranormal powers.

The military's been fiddling with Mother Nature again, testing a new biological weapon designed to mutate common insects and parasites into battlefield grunts. Which of course means that you, pretty much from the get-go, have to clean up their exigent mutant mess, i.e., hordes of oversized chittering critters infesting levels staged in pop-conspiracy locales like the always-good-for-a-coverup Area 51 or film-flop derivative Hangar 18.

Levels are structured like gantlets through which you pilot Dirt, blasting bugs, solving puzzles, saving civilians and pulling it all off fast enough to pad your skill points. Between levels, you splurge on newer, more powerful weapons and replenish your ammo stock. At the outset you can choose between time and adventure modes: "adventure" allows you to play in a traditional story-driven action/adventure fashion, while "time challenge" pits you against the clock and your own best times.

Origin of the Species is single-player only on the PC - I'm sure Xbox live will fiqure out some form of multi-play.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galapago View Post
maybe adventure might be something interesting for XLA (as a mid-price download)?
Oh, that's an EXCELLENT idea! It would be great to have some of the old classics redone for XBLA. They are an ideal fit, too, I think... although, I'm not sure how to do point-and-click well with a gamepad. But they'll figure something out!
Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Oh, that's an EXCELLENT idea! It would be great to have some of the old classics redone for XBLA. They are an ideal fit, too, I think... although, I'm not sure how to do point-and-click well with a gamepad. But they'll figure something out!

They'd probably impliment a cursor so you could click but I'm not sure how well that'll work with most games.

I would really like to see XBLA Adventure games. Anyone got any connections?