You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Story vs. Puzzles: Please chime in

View Poll Results: What is the true foundation of an adventure game?
The story. 59 69.41%
The puzzles. 7 8.24%
I really can't decide; they're both equally important. 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2004, 10:55 AM   #41
merely human

Hookay, time to take an extended break from my writing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
In many polls, 16-24 year olds overwhelmingly reply that they "will not watch" a movie made in black-and-white.
Can you post links to a couple of those polls, please?

Quote:
I think that says a lot about why some older folks might not take the entertainment opinions of younger folks seriously.
I think it says a lot about me that I am NOT among those folks, that I do have respect for highly intelligent people like Stinger, Marek, and some of my friends who DO have something substantial to say and stick to it, while respecting others regardless of age.

Quote:
Also, realize that we codgers already know something that younger folks don't realize and will often scream until they are blue in the face isn't true: that one's opinions about a great many things, from entertainment to politics, undergo some radical changes in the years between ages 25-28.
Are you insinuating that the intelligence of those younger than we are worthless until they reach our age? I got news for you, bud. Those people 10-20 years older than we most likely think the same about us!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-15-2004, 10:56 AM   #42
Banned User

Quote:
I think it's about time that older people admitted that maybe younger people also have insights that they don't.
This is simply not true. Old people were once young people and had the very same insights then. Then they matured and abandoned those "insights" which turned out to be invalid. We weren't born old, you know.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:57 AM   #43
merely human

Bullshayt, BJ. Many things I've learned or been given insight to were from those around Marek's and Stinger's age.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-15-2004, 11:00 AM   #44
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
To make this analogy again: currently Adam sandler is one of Hollywood's biggest box office draws. His movies make zillions of dollars. Yet on any critical level, they pretty much universally suck.

Adam Sandler's movies are supported almost entirely by exactly the age group most dominant on this forum.

In many polls, 16-24 year olds overwhelmingly reply that they "will not watch" a movie made in black-and-white.

I think that says a lot about why some older folks might not take the entertainment opinions of younger folks seriously.

Also, realize that we codgers already know something that younger folks don't realize and will often scream until they are blue in the face isn't true: that one's opinions about a great many things, from entertainment to politics, undergo some radical changes in the years between ages 25-28.
I'm sorry Jim, but that is a load of bull and it really pisses me off. If you were closer and I was sure from your general facial expressions and body language and tone of voice that you were serious, I would punch you in the yarbles with great prejudice.

DOES NOT THIS STRIKE YOU AS VAGUELLY IDIOTIC, THOU EUNICH JELLY THOU:

Premises:

- Many idiotic 21-year-olds buy Adam Sandler's lunch.
- Kingzjester is a 21 year old.

Therefore:

- Kingzjester likes Adam Sandler.

When in fact:

- Kingzjester hates Adam Sandler and is ready to harm other people to get that point across.

Oh, and on an altogether different note, Fairygodmother, I hate children. That would influence my opinion on an 8-year-old gamer's opinion more than any sort of simple age math voodoo. But then again, if the kid has something wise to say (which can and does happen, it happens as often as it happens with adults: very, very rarely), I am not going to send him to his cradle to rock some more because he is third my age.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:00 AM   #45
Banned User

Quote:
Are you insinuating that the intelligence of those younger than us are worthless until they reach our age?
Not their intelligence. Their experience. And because of the limited experience, the tastes and opinions are suspect too. How can you expect your opinion of, say, food to be taken seriously if you have only experienced a few different types? Or movies? Or music? Or games? Or politics? Or interpersonal relationships? Or sex? Or literature? Or anything?

Being smart doesn't make you wise. It doesn't provide you with real-world experience. (In fact, it often ends up distancing you from it, but that's another whole discussion.)
Old 02-15-2004, 11:06 AM   #46
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
Not their intelligence. Their experience. And because of the limited experience, the tastes and opinions are suspect too. How can you expect your opinion of, say, food to be taken seriously if you have only experienced a few different types? Or movies? Or music? Or games? Or politics? Or interpersonal relationships? Or sex? Or literature? Or anything?

Being smart doesn't make you wise. It doesn't provide you with real-world experience. (In fact, it often ends up distancing you from it, but that's another whole discussion.)
So, a 300-year-old who lived all his life in a middle of nowhere in Alabama listening to Fox News is more experienced than a 26-year-old bum kid who backpacked with no money through Euroasia for seven years?
Old 02-15-2004, 11:07 AM   #47
Irritant F0rum Beasty

How exactly did it all come to this?
Old 02-15-2004, 11:08 AM   #48
Banned User

Kingz: You surely are bright enough to understand the difference between applying statistical analyses to groups of people and using them to apply to individuals. Yet you choose to put words in my mouth and say that I was talking about individuals. My statements were more like:

Premise 1: Adam Sandler movies are critical garbage.
Premise 2: Adam Sandler movies are hugely successful because of the support of young fans.

Conclusion: Young fans as a group can't be trusted to espouse about the critical worth of some films.

Also...

Premise 1: Young people reply in poll after poll that they won't watch black-and-white TV/movies.

Conclusion: If one wants a fair and worthwhile analysis of films/TV, one should question the input of young people as a group because they tend to discount anything black-and-white out of hand.

Don't twist this into my saying you must be an Adam sandler fan because you're young.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:08 AM   #49
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
This is simply not true. Old people were once young people and had the very same insights then. Then they matured and abandoned those "insights" which turned out to be invalid. We weren't born old, you know.
I see what you're talking about, and I wasn't trying to suggest that you were "born old." But it's not just a matter of how many years you've lived. The times are different for each generation, and that has a big effect on people's development. You can't seriously expect children growing up now to experience everything that you experienced growing up. I can see major differences just between when I was a child and the children growing up now, and it hasn't even been that long since I was a kid (although there are apparently some that still consider me a kid).

And just because ideas were abandoned doesn't mean they were invalid.

mag
Old 02-15-2004, 11:09 AM   #50
Banned User

Quote:
So, a 300-year-old who lived all his life in a middle of nowhere in Alabama listening to Fox News is more experienced than a 26-year-old bum kid who backpacked with no money through Euroasia for seven years?
Once again, you are trying to talk about individuals, while the whole nature and point of a poll (and the ensuing discussion) is to talk about groups and trends. Give it up.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:11 AM   #51
Banned User

Quote:
And just because ideas were abandoned doesn't mean they were invalid.
and just because you haven't abandoned them yet in light of your vast wealth of experience doesn't mean they are valid.

(Yes, that was sarcastic. We old people tend to get that way when kids try to lecture us about the nature of wisdom.)
Old 02-15-2004, 11:15 AM   #52
merely human

My god, what's this thread spiralled down into?!

BJ, your claim - no, your insult - that those younger than we don't count much for their opinion is really based more on your personal prejudice than the reality in which you ejaculate it. I think you should hang out a bit more with people of Marek's and Kingzlebub's age as well as those even older than you. You just might learn something.

Anyway, to steer back on topic. This question of what is more important to the adventure game should NOT be asked in a vacuum. Evan and BJ, both of you should know better than to treat it as such, shame on you. I'll have to think a bit before posting to elaborate on this.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:16 AM   #53
Doctor Watson

So the older you get, the more you start to understand that hey, puzzles are the basis of adventure games...

How can age change the way you see adventure games? We all have some logic skills, and that's what is needed when you need to figure out what little adventure games are made of, not wrinkles..
Old 02-15-2004, 11:18 AM   #54
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
So the older you get, the more you start to understand that hey, puzzles are the basis of adventure games...

ROFLMAO

deadworm, that was genius!!!

Oh, and that the older you get the more you realize that those younger than you aren't worth listening to. Interesting, here I am, in my upper 30s, reading and hanging out in a site and forum run by guys in their early 20s. I guess I shouldn't be in here. Do they card?
Old 02-15-2004, 11:18 AM   #55
Banned User

He did it again, Marek.

And Trep, virtually everyone I work with (and almost everyone I have worked with for the last several years) is 10-15 years younger than I am. I spend plenty of time with younger folks. I suspect more than you do.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:18 AM   #56
Tactlessly understated

This forum is not comprised of the same cross section that takes part in the statistics you brought up. This forum is comprised of individuals, most of whom both of us know and most of whose opinions we mildly respect (otherwise we wouldn't be wasting our time here). I cannot imagine most of them willfully being in the same group with Adam Sandler groupies and black'n'white movie haters.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:20 AM   #57
Banned User

Aren't adventure games an entertainment medium, deadworm? Age changes one's opinion and tastes and priorities about virtually every other entertainment medium. Music, movies, books, television... your opinions of all of them change with age. Games are no different.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:22 AM   #58
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
deadworm, that was genius!!!
Agreed
Old 02-15-2004, 11:23 AM   #59
Retirement is stupid

Update: in a passionate moment of guilt and self-loathing, I have ejected Billy Madison from the VCR and replaced it with City Lights.

Okay, that's not actually true. But Billy Madison did end, and I'm now watching the NBA All-Star marathon on ESPN Classic.

I probably just should never post again. Who agrees?

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 02-15-2004, 11:26 AM   #60
merely human

Quote:
Aren't adventure games an entertainment medium, deadworm? Age changes one's opinion and tastes and priorities about virtually every other entertainment medium. Music, movies, books, television... your opinions of all of them change with age. Games are no different.
Hmm, I don't think they so much change as become more varied or less, at least with me. My first exposure to games as an adult was through Tomb Raider and Silent Hill, but when I discovered GK3 I went through an adventure game phase. Now I'm at a point where I can enjoy adventures and action/adventures. Some things you keep, some you move away from, some you mingle with new things.

But I do agree, your experiences act as catalysts to move your tastes around a bit.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 02-15-2004 at 11:38 AM.