You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Story vs. Puzzles: Please chime in

View Poll Results: What is the true foundation of an adventure game?
The story. 59 69.41%
The puzzles. 7 8.24%
I really can't decide; they're both equally important. 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 05:40 AM   #301

My opinion:

The story and the atmosphere are far more important than the puzzles. I'm playing adventures because I want to dive into a certain atmosphere, I want to explore strange locations, and I want a story that really catches me.
Of course, annoying puzzles can spoil this, and boring puzzles give you the feeling of just watching rather than acting.
So, expressed in numbers on a scale of importance, story/atmosphere get 2/3, and puzzles 1/3.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:31 AM   #302

Perhaps there should be a record kept of the oldest threads revived such as this one which apparently was long-dead for well over a year. Often, as in this case, the post that revives it continues on as if no time has past, almost as if in some sort of time-warp and here is it was a response to a poster, BJ, who is long since gone. It's almost like an adventure game that one puts away half-finished & then returns a year or 2 later to complete it as though it was last played only the day before....

It's an interesting phenonemon and occurs periodically on the 3 main AG forums. I've often wondered how this occurs since someone has to scour threads that are pages & pages back. No big point here, I just find it interesting.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:40 AM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDave
Perhaps there should be a record kept of the oldest threads revived such as this one which apparently was long-dead for well over a year. Often, as in this case, the post that revives it continues on as if no time has past, almost as if in some sort of time-warp and here is it was a response to a poster, BJ, who is long since gone. It's almost like an adventure game that one puts away half-finished & then returns a year or 2 later to complete it as though it was last played only the day before....

It's an interesting phenonemon and occurs periodically on the 3 main AG forums. I've often wondered how this occurs since someone has to scour threads that are pages & pages back. No big point here, I just find it interesting.
Actually, this probably happened because of Jake's new sticky post about common discussions.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:41 AM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDave

This thread was listed on Jake's Sticky thread. I see a few other old threads getting revived thanks to Jake's effort.

Editarn you, Ninthsie, now you made my post comepltely pointless.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:59 AM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
This thread was listed on Jake's Sticky thread. I see a few other old threads getting revived thanks to Jake's effort.

Editarn you, Ninthsie, now you made my post comepltely pointless.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:04 AM   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Actually, this probably happened because of Jake's new sticky post about common discussions.
Hmmm, now I understand. I guess I particularly got a kick out of the poster's 'Ducks & Runs' comment when responding to a long-since gone poster (BacardiJim). Along those lines (and I know the relevant history at JA and I think some of it here), anybody seen any sign of BJ anywhere in the AG world? I know he was at Mystery Manor, but I don't see any sign of him there now? Again, no major point here, just wondering.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:37 AM   #307
Epinionated.

You best contact FGM on that one.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:42 PM   #308
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Man, that sandwich analogy still sounds pretty goddamn good, if I may say so myself.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:43 PM   #309
merely human

Yeah. Too bad I'm not hungry at the moment, though.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien