You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What are your top 10 Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2004, 04:37 AM   #21
Easily amused

1- Riven
2- Myst 3 Exile
3- RealMyst
4 -Rhem
5- Obsidian
6- Dark Fall
7-Zork Nemesis
8-Morpheus
9- Gabriel Knight 2 Beast Within
10- Riddle of the Sphinx
Old 07-04-2004, 04:54 AM   #22
Rookie Cop

In no order - and I'll probably miss out some that I love:

Monkey Island 1
Monkey Island 2
Police Quest 2
Broken Sword 1
Gabriel Knight 3
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Grim Fandango
The Last Express
Willy Beamish (stupidly hard and evil - but still loved it)
Old 07-04-2004, 05:08 AM   #23
Junior Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Krazy

1.The Secret of Monkey Island A+ (I'm so glad this was my first adventure game)
2.Day of the Tentacle A+ (what can I say this game was AWESOME in ever ascpect)
3.The Curse of Monkey Island A- (Not quite as great as DOTT but still loved it)
4.Sam and Max hit the road A (Excelent funny adventure)
5.Monkey Island 2 LeChucks Revenge A (Great adventure but ot hard)
6.Beneath a Steel Sky B+ (Excelent plot and quite enjoyable, slight to easy which I'll admit was kind of refreshing but it made the gameplay length less)

That's all for now

Last edited by Krazy; 07-06-2004 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:19 AM   #24
Big Wig

1) Grim Fandango - This game is awesome, but I think some people don't like it so much because of the controls. However, I was lucky to play it first time with a Microsoft Sidewinder which made it very easy. The satire of this game, especially with Glottis, is sublime and it's well written. The music and a lot of the dialogue is also great. It doesn't take itself seriously a lot of the time (eh ..what adventure game does) and that's what I like about it.

2) The Longest Journey - A lot of thought went into this game and it's paid off. Great dialogue, puzzles and characters. The fact that you start off on planet earth as the simple April Ryan and then the whole world(s) open up and you're right there in the middle of it. The heroine is great because many times, in Stark or Arcadia, she still thinks & acts like a normal girl. Awesome.

3) Blade Runner - I'm sad that Blade Runner didn't get rave reviews but I can see why. Westwood could have made it so much better than it is and I'm annoyed at that. This was the first PC game I played on the first day I got my computer - maybe that's why I like it so much. The whole point-and-click system was excellent (It's everywhere now) for back then and I just love the whole idea of a detective looking for clues - there should be more games like that. I love the film too and it you look closely you get some references to it in the game at some points, i.e.: you see Deckard from the movie. I still want a sequel to the game though Does anyone else have the DVD version of the Blade Runner game or is it just me? I understand the other version has 4 disks.

4) The Beast Within - I thought this was a tough nut to crack, but very much worth it. The acting by the main character, Dean Ericksson, is hardly what I'd call brilliant, but it doesn't need to be. Some of the puzzles are a little bit silly in some ways, but overall it's excellent.

5) Syberia - Another very challenging game with a lot of great puzzles. The mechanical aspect of the game adds a nice touch and it's another toughy in my book. Oscar the automaton adds the homour at times.

Here's another five, in no specific order: Syberia II, Post Mortem, Nightlong, In Memoriam & Myst.

Last edited by leggat; 07-04-2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:04 AM   #25
fov
Rattenmonster

I merged Zubizabata's thread with this one since they were very similar.

emily
Old 07-04-2004, 10:09 AM   #26

I suppose it's ok to use these top-10s for my poll
Old 07-04-2004, 11:58 AM   #27
some may call me tofu

Send a message via AIM to guybrush122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
ARG! This is a sensitive spot for me. I am going out on a big freakin' limb here, but...

I LOVE Tim Curry as Gabriel Knight! There, I said it.

And now I am excited to try out Day of the Tent.

Kirk
Let me rephrase; I'd rather listen to the voice acting in Runaway...

(if the voice acting in Runaway didn't make you cringe, I've got another one up my sleeve...)
Old 07-04-2004, 12:52 PM   #28
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

One word.

Bleh!

Sorry if I come off as grumpy, but these kind of threads have been done more often than Psycho's been remade. You'd probably get better results for your polls if you just searched for similar threads using the handy "Search" function on this forum. But I haven't tried it, maybe we've lost these oh so handy threads forever.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:16 PM   #29

1. The Longest Journey
2. Infidel (Infocom text adventure)
3. Hitchhiker's Guide (same)
4. Grim Fandango
5. Monkey Island 2
6. Broken Sword 1
7. Riven
8. The Neverhood
9. Ballyhoo (Infocom)
10. Trinity (Infocom)

Sorry, guys, but nothing superseeds the thrill of them ol' text adventures. The interaction was complete, the puzzles were hintless, the story was immersive, and the graphics... my mind was always the best graphic engine of them all

//edit: I might as well add "Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders" too. It was really vast and clever.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
One word.

Bleh!

Sorry if I come off as grumpy, but these kind of threads have been done more often than Psycho's been remade. You'd probably get better results for your polls if you just searched for similar threads using the handy "Search" function on this forum. But I haven't tried it, maybe we've lost these oh so handy threads forever.
Obviously you didn't read my top-10 thread... There is no recent similar thread and there are a lot good adventures released since the last one. Also this some kind of formal poll so a new thread explaining the hows and why is more appropriate than searching the old ones.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:31 PM   #31
Fienepien

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush122
Let me rephrase; I'd rather listen to the voice acting in Runaway...

(if the voice acting in Runaway didn't make you cringe, I've got another one up my sleeve...)
Best voice acting ever:

1. Last Express
2. Grim Fandango
3. Day of the Tentacle.
4. Zork Grand Inquisitor
5. Feeble Files

Old 07-04-2004, 03:25 PM   #32
After 2 years...

My Best Best

1)Grim Fandango
2)The Longest Journey
3)The Last Express

The others that i don't find it nice to put them in a 1 to 10

Gabriel Knight Trilogy
DOTT
Broken Sword Trilogy
Full Throttle
Discworld
Fate of Atlantis
Syberia
Monkey Island
Atlantis
Blade Runner
BaSS

(now i am waiting to put in the first places, Dreamfall (gonna be NAMBER 1 i know it) and Fahrenheit .
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 07-04-2004, 06:56 PM   #33
No justice. Only me.

1. Grim Fandango
2. Curse of Monkey Island
3. Sam and Max Hit the Road
4. Full Throttle
5. Shivers
6. The Longest Journey
7. Secret of Monkey Island
8. Riddle of Master Lu
9. Myst
10. Inherit the Earth

Edit: A bit of switching around, taking into account how much I enjoyed the games at the time.

Last edited by ConcreteRancor; 07-04-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:01 PM   #34
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

10. King's Quest 6. Loved the Green Isles, and the fact that many of Alexander's quests are optional.

9. Runaway. Oh well, I'm one of the few, but I liked it. A lot.

8. Ripper. GREAT game. Really regret letting a friend borrow it...especially after he moved.

7. Curse of Monkey Island. The sea chanty puzzle, the Goodsoups, it was all really wacky, and Guybrush was endearing in his innocence.

6. The Lurking Horror. An old Infocom text adventure, very Lovecraftian.

5. Grim Fandango. Classic game, with a really twisted setting. Loved the flaming beavers.

4. Zork: Nemesis. Was going through a health crisis when I was given this game by a friend. It hooked me, and really raised my spirits.

3. Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail. Classic.

2. Shivers. Love the museum, wish I could find other games with as much ambience.

1. Leisure Suit Larry 7. Love the Larry series, but this one's the ultimate...tons of Easter Eggs, desktop wallpapers awarded for solving puzzles, even an option to record your own voice in the game. My favorite.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:25 PM   #35

My top ten:

1. Gabriel Knight 3: My first foray into the GK series. The story and gameplay were more immersive than any other game I'd ever played (and yes, I enjoyed the voice acting). I'll never forget the moment, while playing as Grace, I called Gabe a jerk and then Grace called him a moron in the next second.

2. Grim Fandango

3. Monkey Island series

4. The Longest Journey: I first played it immediately after I finished GK3, and it definitely suffered in the comparison because of its less powerful story. However, it's still one of my favorites.

5. Syberia

6. ICO: Its only flaw is being too short. And not being the updated European version.

7. Zork Grand Inquisitor: My first and only Zork game so far. I have Return to Zork but haven't been able to get it working on XP.

8. Journeyman Project 2

9. Sanitarium

10. Tex Murphy Overseer
Old 07-05-2004, 03:32 AM   #36

1: Monkey Island 1
2: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
3: Simon the Sorcerer 1
4: Death Gate
5: Gateway 2 : Homeworld
6: Monkey Island 2
7: The Dig
8: Grim Fandango
9: Zork Nemesis
10: Loom
Old 07-05-2004, 04:12 AM   #37
all loved up

1. Curse of monkey Island - I like pretty much everything about this game, good graphics, great humour, memorable characters (particularly Murray!) enjoyable, logical puzzles...
2. Grim Fandango - close one between COMI and this. Love Grim because it's a truely epic adventure game, very cinematic and involving,
3. Sam and max - love the humour and puzzles.
4. Broken sword 1 - first BS game I played, like it as it incoporates many different elements of the adventure game genre - an action packed, involving story, humour, various types x of different puzzles, and melds them all seamlessly together..
5. The Secret of Monkey Island - The game that started my favourite adventure game series! I adore those close up cutscenes, and feel this is pure and simple adventure heaven.
6. Broken sword 3 - many things were attractive to me in this game, and most followed on from BS1. However, for some rather more tedious and trying puzzles (crates and a couple of the timed action sequences) it's below the original.
7. MI2, Lechuck's Revenge - classic game, and the first adventure game I ever played.
8. Escape from monkey Island - my least favourite of the MI series, this game still stands alone as a relatively strong adventure game, and the usual excellent voice acting and MI zaniness balances out some of the more obscure puzzles (*cough* Monkeycombat *cough*)
9.Little Big Adventure 2 - Not sure whether this should really be classed as an adventure, but the vastness of the worlds, length of the game (long enough to become immersed in the worlds, not so long as to become dull), balance between action and adventure puzzles, and cute graphics put it in the top ten for me.
10. The Dig - haven't actually finished this yet, but got suckede into it a while ago...

I'm pretty certain if I could get it working on any computer, discworld Noir would be on the list too....
Old 07-05-2004, 07:45 AM   #38
pain is love

1. Grim Fandango - the one and only
2. Broken Sword 1
3. Day of the Tentacle
4. MI1
5. Sam & Max
6. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
7. Full Throttle
8. Leisure Suite Larry 1 (and 2, and 3... and 6, and not 7)
9. MI2
10. The Longest Journey (didn't finish it yet, kinda put it aside).

Got much more advs to play, but as you can see I'm an LA fan all the way...

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 07-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #39

This is my top 10
1:broken sword1
2:gabriel knight3
3:indiana jones the fate of atlantis
4:monkey island1
5:broken sword2
6:gabriel knight2
7:monkey island2
8:beneath a steel sky
9:sam and max
10:broken sword3
Old 07-05-2004, 10:14 PM   #40
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth209
I've played the first 2 simon games but not 3d...whats so bad with it? i was thinking about purchasing it from the website...
It's just a really ugly game in the N64 sense except without the charm or fun of something like Mario 64. And it's the same problem with a lot of 2D to 3D crossovers as the gameplay suffers. What was bad about Earthworm Jim 3D? Prince Of Persia 3D? Dragon's Lair 3D? (Although Dragon's Lair 3D wasn't as bad as the other titles.) It really is a shameful sequel that does more harm than good for the original two games.

As for whether which Larry is superior 6 or 7. I'd say Love For Sail is "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly" of the Larry series while Shape Up Or Slip Out is the "Once Upon A Time In The West" of Larry games. Of course that means nothing but I just wanted to mention I like LSL7.

Last edited by JHousequake; 07-05-2004 at 10:21 PM.