Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   A New Beginning (a new game!) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/20684-new-beginning-new-game.html)

Melanie68 08-13-2007 12:06 PM

A New Beginning (a new game!)

Adventure Gamers just conducted an interview about a new game called Earth - A New Beginning. We had run a news item about it when it had the working title of Project Climate Change.

I really like the sound of the game, primarily due to its premise, that of global warming. It's a unique adventure game topic and very relevant in this day and age. I think the adventure genre is a great place to showcase it by really focusing on the subject within a story/character driven game and perhaps making it accessible to many different kinds of people (who might otherwise be put off by the political firestorm around it). I think the graphics (hand drawn 2D backgrounds and characters) look stunning as well (and I'm not a big graphics person :P). Also, it has a lot of potential for interesting gameplay. I'm interested to hear what sort of puzzles/objectives they have in mind.

Squinky 08-13-2007 12:42 PM

I'm very interested in this game too.

Now, I just hope it actually does have good writing, accessible gameplay that fits the story, and plenty of interaction density.

TheTwelve 08-13-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squinky (Post 434164)
and plenty of interaction density.

Been studying some Ince, have we? ;)

Squinky 08-13-2007 03:00 PM

What can I say? Density brought us together.

VoodooFX 08-13-2007 10:34 PM

The premise of this game instantly won me over. Now, they've just have to deliver on the promises, which will be the harder part, I guess.

aries323 08-14-2007 01:22 AM

I liked the sound (and promises) of this game, too. It is a real interesting take on how adventure games could develop - in the future, I think. The premise, global warming, also won me over, rather quickly. Although I had preferred that the game was set in 2050, not 2008, but that's a minor detail, I think.

dantebk 08-14-2007 05:32 PM

Man that game looks pretty. I love how passionate they sound about the genre, and the thought of having a unique response for every hotspot combination gets my clicker finger a-tinglin'.

RPGCrazied 08-14-2007 07:52 PM

ugh.. so many 3rd person point an click coming q407 an early 08.

Will i have time to play them all? :P

Dawner 08-19-2007 05:09 AM

Very interesting gameidea. I presume the gamesite will be earth-game.com

Yixian 08-19-2007 08:25 AM

Story sounds great, it's 2D which I love, the hand illustrated backgrounds are GORGEOUS, although the characters don't look... particularly well drawn.

But it's probably my most anticipated adventure game on the plot alone.

Legolas813 08-21-2007 01:07 PM

New adventure game announced for Wii

Most Wii fans probably already know about Zack and Wiki, but now another new adventure game has been announced for the Wii. This one, titled "A New Beginning", is being labeled as an eco-thriller and will feature hand drawn backgrounds and classic adventure gameplay. The game is being developed by the German publisher of Ankh.

EDIT: Wow, how did I miss this on the homepage? Sorry for making a new thread.

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/396...g082107ok3.jpg

Melanie68 08-21-2007 01:32 PM

That's why the merge function is nice. :)

FrodoZapp 08-27-2007 02:17 AM

So, did anyone see this at the Games Convention? Did they show anything at all?

VoodooFX 08-27-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPGCrazied (Post 434376)
ugh.. so many 3rd person point an click coming q407 an early 08.

Will i have time to play them all? :P

Will I have the money to buy them all? :D

Marek 08-27-2007 01:25 PM

Yeah, I saw it at Games Convention. Impressive demo. If you are going to be nitpicky about the graphics, the character art and animation isn't always smooth as butter, but it's fine as it gives a comic book-like feel to the game.

Somehow I was a little bit reminded of The Dig. But only for like a third of what I saw, so ultimately that comparison may be meaningless. But it's got a bit of sci-fi going on, and it has characters in jumpsuits, so there you go.

You travel back in time in a capsule(I believe from the future to an alternate version of our present time), and then you have to do this puzzles to set up this tripod with an elaborate antenna to make contact with the other time travellers. When you walk to the edge of the scene, multiple layers scroll horizontally to reveal that you are in fact on the edge of a hill looking out on a destroyed/abandoned San Francisco, with the Bay Bridge in the distance. The music swells up, the character is like 'oh shit, this is what happens when we screw up', and it all really works.

There's still a lot of questions in my mind about this project. I can't really judge the writing at this point, for instance. But it looks good so far.

Oh, and it should be said that while the climate theme is pretty on-the-nose in the trailer, the theme appears to be woven into actual game in a much more natural way.

Galapago 09-18-2007 09:17 AM

A New Beginning is absolutely one of the most interesting games that are in development. It looks gorgeous and the story is very promising. And most importantly, everthing is in 2D. I'm really looking forward to any news about this game!

Melanie68 09-18-2007 10:08 AM

Welcome to the forums Galapago! :) It is a cool premise for an adventure game story. I'm definitely looking forward to it as well. Having the entire game be in 2D is a very ambitious undertaking. It looks terrific so far.

Cage 09-18-2007 10:22 AM

This game looks rad, and I've always been a fan of having these kinda games in 2-D. NICE!

samIamsad 09-18-2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

by adhering to what you know about your target audience, you can make a very successful game
Quote:

We believe that we have a very keen eye for the market and its demands and we intend to deliver what adventure gamers clamor for.
:shifty:

Isn't that what you'd expect a marketing director or someone to talk like?

Quote:

Carsten, you previously held the Marketing & Product Director position at dtp entertainment..
:D

Ah, fair enough! Still not all that much info about the game, though, well except that they're adhering to some kind of target audience. :P Nah, looks promising.

Rhodan 09-23-2007 12:07 PM

Presidents of USA and Czech republic are going to have heart-attack after they´ll hear about it... Well that´s just a nice dream.