You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A New Beginning (a new game!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #81

Amazon.co.uk have sent out my copy so it's definitely this week
Old 06-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #82
DirectX Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilka View Post
Amazon.co.uk have sent out my copy so it's definitely this week
Mine too , looking forward to playing it on Tuesday when it arrives, It looks very promising
Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #83

The review on the main site sounds promising, although I am very disappointed to see this has some of the similar technical/localisation issues as Whispered World did i.e. the pauses between loading scenes (clearly this a consequence of the engine the game was programmed in - is Edna and Harvey similar?), untranslated lines etc. I guess that the beta testing wasn't particular thorough for the game - disappointing given the number of times it was delayed.

My copy has still not shipped out today so I guess I won't have it for the weekend, which is disappointing.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenger View Post
Mine too , looking forward to playing it on Tuesday when it arrives, It looks very promising
Mine arrived today and that was by Super Saver Delivery, so hopefully you got yours too!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #85
Strategy Guide Author

Why does amazon.co.uk ship some things to the US but not other things... like this game for instance.

boo
Old 06-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #86
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
Why does amazon.co.uk ship some things to the US but not other things... like this game for instance.

boo
You can get it at the very reliable store www.interactcd.com.
They import lots of European adventures.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #87

Not in widescreen? What is this 1999? ;/
Old 06-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #88

So my copy finally turned up today.

Lace Mamba have put together a lovely package for the game with the soundtrack CD, poster, nice box etc. But why oh why oh WHY couldn't they have taken such care with the localisation?

I'm about five minutes in and already I've come across the bizarre question "Do you wish an introduction into the controls?". Bent mispronounces "Sisyphean" as "Sispheen". There's a "refirgerator" in the THIRD location you can enter.

I can live with the ropey voice acting - it's hard to do adventure game dialogue when you have to read descriptions for items that no-one would ever say, and I can just turn it off if it starts getting too annoying. But there's no excuse for poor localisation when that's essentially all the work you have to do on a title - particularly irritating given how lacking Lace Mamba's promotion has been for A New Beginning compared to their other titles recently. Maybe there just wasn't the money there - but then they managed to put together such a nice box for the game...
Old 06-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #89
Senior *female* member

Where did you get the idea that Lace Mamba was responsible for the localisation?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Where did you get the idea that Lace Mamba was responsible for the localisation?
I had presumed that in distributing the title in English language territories they would be responsible for localisation. In the branch of the entertainment industry I work in that's how it works - the licensee localises the product for their territory, then provides a copy of the translated script and a back-translator to my company as licensor for sign off and discussion.

The manual doesn't list a translator, nor does it list any of the English voice cast. It lists the entire German voice cast - with German character names, not localised - and several other job titles are untranslated from German.

I had to go into the in-game credits to find the localisation team, Translocacell, who are based in Germany. Unfortunately they don't credit individual actors with the parts they play.

I assume that Daedalic engaged Translocacell directly to translate the game into English and then shopped it to Lace Mamba "ready to go"? And Lace Mamba didn't check the manual they were printing to package up in the game was properly translated either?

I've spent more time researching this than I have playing the game so far! It seems okay - animation's improved from Whispered World at least...
Old 06-18-2011, 02:25 AM   #91

I still can't fathom that this game was given 4/5 stars in the adventure gamers review. The rating system feels seriously flawed. I'm nearing the end of the game and my experience so far has been FAR from memorable