You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A New Beginning (a new game!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 03:18 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Just caus you speak German
Here in the Netherlands we speak dutch, amigo.
But it's not too difficult for us to understand German.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
Here in the Netherlands we speak dutch, amigo.
But it's not too difficult for us to understand German.
I did mean Fien, unless Fien is from Netherlands too...?

But I've never been called amigo before! I like it...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #43
Jumping peanut on a stick

After a fantastic The Whispered World I'm really looking forward to play this. Very nice cover and the whole concept sounds interesting. I just hope it won't take another year for the English version to come out.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #44
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I did mean Fien, unless Fien is from Netherlands too...?
Yeah, she is. Look at my "location". Low Lands/Countries is the literal translation of the Netherlands, although historically the relevant region was much larger. Even now, the term is used to indicate both Holland and Belgium.

Dutch is definitely related to German, but I would have a hard time understanding German if it hadn't been a mandatory school subject.

And of course I have already pre-ordered A New Beginning.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Yeah, she is. Look at my "location". Low Lands/Countries is the literal translation of the Netherlands, although historically the relevant region was much larger. Even now, the term is used to indicate both Holland and Belgium.
Ooooh, hehe. My apologies But still, damn you... Netherlands-speaking-German people!

EDIT: Congrats on your success in the World Cup too!

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #46

it's always amazed me how most of europe, excluding UK, is full of people who are fluent in multiple languages, while in UK half the people barely even speak english yet alone a second or even third language. I blame the education system, if only we'd been taught dutch at a young age when it's easier to learn things then it wouldn't be so difficult for me to learn it now I live in a dutch-speaking country
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #47
Failed Birthday Elf

Partly the education system, and partly just the fact that we don't see any other languages around us.

By this I don't mean that we ignore everyone else (although some of us definitely do!) but that in other european countries there are English films, books, games etc. everywhere, and also to a lesser extent in the languages of surrounding countries. Over here there is virtually none of this so there is very little chance to practice languages, except for holidays.

Also seeing as English is so prevalent there is (in the view of many) less of a reason to learn another language when English will likely get you by in most places.

Although those who say we are simply lazy probably have a point too!

[/offtopic]
Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #48

I've just peeked at the official site at deadalic.de, and I'm very intrigued about this game. I like it's visual style very much and the story seems interesting. Also, I haven't played many AG's with the Sci-Fi elements that appealed to me much so far. I still haven't played "The Whispered World" because fantasy isn't my cup of tea either, but I really like it's recognizable design.

BTW, I agree with the discussion on knowing the multiple languages. I myself am from Croatia and I speak english and german fluently. But, like I've said in some previous topic, most of us are just used to hear english language in films and games. True, it's mainly due to the inertion, but this is how the things are.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 07-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #49
J.H
Frak.

A Video Preview is available.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #50

Mamba Games has acquired UK distribution rights to Deponia, Edna bricht aus and A New Beginning from Daedalic
Old 08-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #51
Senior *female* member

That's marvelous news!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #52

Seems Daedalic is on the rise.....after the whispered world the interest in the company remains with A New Beginning and also Deponia seems pretty worth the wait.

@Oli:Let me say that my faith in the 2D hand drawn games seems to be renewed.Excellent job on all three and hats off to the artists.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #53

Official trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKfc_5KxuKs
Old 08-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #54

to be honest, the trailer sorta put me off.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataku View Post
to be honest, the trailer sorta put me off.
I agree, the animations, if you can call them that, are just horrible. The story sounds rock solid and definetely one I want to experience but visually they could've definitely done better
Old 08-27-2010, 03:59 AM   #56

Wow, the trailer looks fantastic! If the atmosphere through the whole game is as good as in that game, I'm going to love every second of it! Well done Deadalic!

However, while I think you're way too harsh on the animation quality, I do have some gripes about the animation. Most of it is really quite good and conveys the right atmosphere, but especially the environment animations could use more love. Here's the problems for me:

1) This is much, much more important than point number two. Judging by the trailer there is a big discrepancy between the speed of some environmental animations and the character animations. The flames at 0:38 seem to flicker way too fast compared to other events in the game, they should be slowed down considerably to not seem out of place. The volcano eruption at 0:42 could have a much more epic feel if slowed down a little bit (it seems quite unrealistic in the trailer). Perhaps the biggest offender are the waves at 0:43. They seem really weird moving that fast, like it's on fast forward. I'd also slow down the animation on the waterfall at 0:48. It really feels like the environment is on speed compared to the rest of the stuff in the trailer.

2) Animations where the whole body is visible, but only the hand(s) move(s) feel a bit lazy. Examples: the girl at 0:53 and the demonstrators at 1:19.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #57

And it's on the shelves, in Germany. Has anyone given it a go yet?
Old 10-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #58

Yes, me.
I started it one hour ago. Just played the Prolog. It's nice and interesting. The puzzle was an warm-uper.
It may be that some people would complain about the grafics, they are cartony and the charakters dont't fit optimal with the background.
But i like them.
The story sounds intriguing.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #59
Senior *female* member

How are you getting on with it, seagul? I haven't received my copy yet, but I've read at German forums and at amazon.de that the game is buggy as hell. Crashes, savegames not functioning, etcetera. Apparently the game was tested without the copy protection. Might be one reason everybody is complaining.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:51 AM   #60

love the look of all the games from this developer, glad about the mamba games announcement, hope to see all of them (especially Edna bricht aus, which sounds liek my cup of tea for sure) really soon in english.