You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Myst Online Episodes Retail?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #1

Default Myst Online Episodes Retail?

Hey everyone,

I just read the news story about the newly released Myst episode. See, I'd very much like to play the episodes, but don't want to subscribe to Gametap. Are they going to be releasing the episodes in a retail box, like with Sam and Max, at some point?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
Hopeful skeptic

I can't say for sure that they won't ever, but it's very very unlikely. Unlike Sam & Max, Myst Online is a multiplayer game meant to be played... well... online, in a persistent universe that's being updated constantly, and GameTap provides that service. And unlike a lot of MMORPGs, the Myst plot updates are progressive, so you can't really turn back the clock and start all over again for a retail release.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Adventure Game Researcher

Jackal you are totally correct, MOUL is an online multiplayer game with dyanmic content and unfoldling events that are unique in that the community (the players online) create the episodes as they unfold, which means things happen that are unplanned, and alive daily during the episodes. So really there is no way to package them after they happen, and to know exactly what will happen. The core game, URU is available with expansions called the Path of the Shell, and that complete set is called URU The Complete Chronicles and can be played single player off line with the CD or DVD editions.

I was hesitant myself to subscribe to GameTap but have found the subscription well worth the cost, which is quite reasonable, ad there are great games available and new ones released, such as Lara Croft Anniversary, and the new Sam and Max episodes, and the interface and GT environemnt is quite easy to use.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM   #4

I am saddened by this unfortunate turn of events
Old 07-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
I am saddened by this unfortunate turn of events
Not much of a "turn of events," considering that the game has always been planned this way. These new "episodes" just don't work as a single-player experience, really. If you aren't in the cavern at the right moment to catch the story, you'll miss it - just like in real life, I suppose, but a bit disappointing in a game. As a non-subscriber, though, you can read along with the rest of us in the Myst Online forums... and you'll have about as immersive an experience as I've been having as a subscriber

As for the ages themselves, I'm sure they may make their way to boxed versions eventually, but we're talking, not until Uru gets canceled/closed again. That would be an unfortunate turn of events. :/
Old 07-31-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
Friendly Server Admin

For what it's worth, you may find this a helpful summary of cavern events:

http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index.php?act=SF&f=56
Old 07-31-2007, 09:33 PM   #7

I wouldn't mind giving Myst Online a try, but the European price ($12.95 just for it) is beyond ridiculous, so I guess I'll be missing the first online, interactive soap opera. :/
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 08-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #8

Would you guys say Myst Online is worth it? I have all the Myst games lying about in my room here, have only played through and completed the first one. I think I should start playing Riven .. but it seems so god darn hard! Where the first was lite and accesible, I find Riven abit harder to swallow .. I don't know. Is Riven worth it?

Also, has anything changed in Myst Online? I always got the feeling, if you complete the puzzles, there is absolutely nothing for you to do until they release a new Age, which takes months.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDS View Post
Would you guys say Myst Online is worth it?
GameTap is worth $10 a month. Uru is an excellent value-add to GameTap, but not really worth $10 a month by itself. That's my opinion, anyway.

There's not a whole lot to do between episodes once you've finished all the available puzzles, although the addition of user-created marker quests adds a bit of replay value, I think.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:25 AM   #10
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Would you guys say Myst Online is worth it? I have all the Myst games lying about in my room here, have only played through and completed the first one. I think I should start playing Riven .. but it seems so god darn hard! Where the first was lite and accesible, I find Riven abit harder to swallow .. I don't know. Is Riven worth it?

Also, has anything changed in Myst Online? I always got the feeling, if you complete the puzzles, there is absolutely nothing for you to do until they release a new Age, which takes months.
It's worth it. You have the online environment Cyan always imagined since Uru came out, and ALL ages (not only the new ones) are 'enhanced' in several ways in Myst Online. The colours are better, and your Relto can be made to look nice for you. I must say I don't follow the story so much, and there have been several complaints on the fora from people who felt 'left out' (see here for instance). The fact is that the story unfolds in real time, so if you're offline or in another Age at the time something happens you can miss the events. But that is also the case in real life so I don't worry about it too much. The new Ages that are being released, and the friendly people that walk around in the City are worth paying for MystOnline in my opinion.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:27 AM   #11

Quote:
I think I should start playing Riven .. but it seems so god darn hard! Where the first was lite and accesible, I find Riven abit harder to swallow .. I don't know. Is Riven worth it?
It's soooo worth it and the best in the series IMO. It really is a different mystical world where you are treated to great adventure. Anyway, there are hint guides that give various degrees of help along the way if you are completely stumped.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 08-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
Lurking Myst Missionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiHann View Post
There's not a whole lot to do between episodes once you've finished all the available puzzles, although the addition of user-created marker quests adds a bit of replay value, I think.
Jalak has added quite a bit of replay value. If nothing else, figuring out how to trap your comrades and rain GEOMETRIC DOOM down on them is worth the price of admission.