You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Great 2007 Quest for Glory Series Playthrough!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
QFG

Default The Great 2007 Quest for Glory Series Playthrough!

Hey all,

As anyone who caught my small post over in hints/help knows, I'm about to begin my fifth overall playthrough of the entire QFG series - by far my favorite games, ever, of all time.

A little background: I had a very good friend growing up who I saw only maybe once a month or every two months due to scheduling conflicts, etc. etc. He was also an avid computer gamer, and also a diehard fan of the Sierra games. Where I had to rely on the kindness of yard sales (where I eventually picked up KQ3 and SQ3), or people who had finished the game and were bored with it (KQ4), or the multiple mercies of Santa Claus (KQ5, KQ6, SQ4, SQ5)... my friend had pretty much the entire Sierra run of games. All the KQ games, all the SQ games, both Laura Bow games, all the misc titles (Conquest of the Longbow, etc.), all the Dynamix titles; the only exceptions were, obviously, the LSL titles which were much too adult for us back then (late 80s).

I can only hope and pray he still has all those old classics; we have been out of touch for some time now.

Anyway, I first encountered the EGA version of the first Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero? at my friend's house. I was literally mesmerized my entire visit as he created a new character for me, and proceeded to "show me" the game... you all know how this works, a friend proposes that you play, but then plays FOR you the entire time. Sometimes even cruelly using the second-person address when playing "Here you're picking up an apple... and you give it to this bird... and then we better save the game, because this next part is hard..." when THEY are doing every action.

So I proceeded to beg and beg and beg my father for QFG. I had to wait long enough that QFG2 came out, and then QFG1 VGA - which I got. I played endlessly, as all three "professions." I only played #2 - which, for some reason, was really hard to find in my area (DC/MD Metro) after it was released - at my friend's house, so until a few years ago I had only a dim memory of it. Bought QFG3 the day it came out, beat it multiple times. Bought QFG4 the day it came out, beat it multiple times - my favorite. Then Sierra collapsed, and though I managed to pick up QFG5, I still have not played it, to this day - because I either couldn't find my character imports, or couldn't find QFG5.

Over the years, I've gone back through 1-4 repeatedly... only as computers got faster and Windows came in, I had more and more problems (as we've all experienced, probably) ... especially the horrible Error 52 in QFG4. It's that bug which prevented my last playthrough about four years ago.

This time I'm going to keep a running diary as I progress with my character through all *five* games - since apparently DosBox has defeated all problems any of the games might have had with running on a modern platform. I could kiss DosBox, I really could.

The only downside? I can't find my QFG4 CD edition, with the voice acting. Oh well - I still have my diskette version, so I'll play it like I did originally, with no voices.

So... starting some time tonight, I'll begin and start posting here!

Anyone who wants to play along at the same time and happens to have all four games, please feel free to do so! Even old memories of these games are completely welcome here.

Last edited by QFG; 07-29-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #2

Heh, I actually just joined this site because of this post.

I can remember taking my character all the way through the games.

Theif, Warrior, then Magic user. Through all of them. It must of taken me forever, and by the time I was done, I was upset that the whole series was over. Don't forget QFG: Dragon's Fire when you re-play through them.. it's easily the worst of the series, but it's a closure, which all of us QFG fans desperately needed.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:54 AM   #3
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

I actually loved Dragon Fire! It is my 3rd fav QFG game (#1=IV, III, 5, I and II). There's plenty of stuff to do (ok, the combat is pretty boring), the music is pretty cool and you can get it on with Katrina or Erana!

What's not to like about that
Old 07-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
QFG

OK, I'm beginning the first game now. My character will be a thief (always my favorite) named "Roderic" after one of my favorite book characters of all time, Roderick Childermass in the novels of John Bellairs.

First impressions: man, I love those painted backgrounds (VGA remake). Also: great sound!! Sierra had such great attention to details...

Ok, more to come, I have to play now
Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #5

You did apply the NewRisingSun patch, besides just playing it in DOSBox, didn't you? Between the two, You can actually defeat the sword master.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:09 AM   #6
QFG

Ok... taking a break for a while. More impressions:

First, Kaspar's name is mispelled Caspar in some of the dialog. Small point, but worth noting.

The weird keening melody that plays on the sheriff/Otto screen can quickly become VERY annoying.

I miss games where if you "look" at any misc. item on the screen that looks intriguing, you often would get a funny (or at least detailed) description of said item. This game has a ton of those little details.

I also miss Sierra's (occasionally) hilarious deaths - like when I tried to "pick" my nose. Whoops!

A flaw: it's ridiculous how quickly you can get some stats to max out; I had Sneak up to 100 after maybe five minutes of simply sneaking around in broad daylight in front of people. I had throwing up to 60something from just playing The Chief in darts. I had magic above 50 within five minutes of playing. Etc. Is there any sure way to increase Luck?

Which reminds me: my Thief is also a hybrid Magic User - which once got me in trouble in game #3 when I had imported straight from #1, and didn't have any of the spells from #2, which are needed in the duel near the end.

Ok, I'm going back to the game in a minute or two... more later!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
QFG

Played a little more tonight, but got an unexpected dump-to-Dos(Box) ... something about a handle or handler beign unexpected...?

Still a lot of fun. Trying to resolve the problem. More soon!
Old 08-04-2007, 06:05 AM   #8

I should really play through the entire series as a thief. I wonder if you ever find the Maltese Falcon (I forget what the game called it)...

I played through the whole thing again a while back as a warrior so I could become a Paladin the "right" way.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:34 AM   #9
Dread Pirate

Ah, memories. QFG is my favorite, too. Let's see, my warrior was named Vance the Valiant, my thief was Sly the Sneaky, and I have no idea what my wizard was. And before you mock me for those names, remember... I was like 10 years old. OK, you can still mock me--they are pretty stupid names.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:38 AM   #10
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantebk View Post
I should really play through the entire series as a thief. I wonder if you ever find the Maltese Falcon (I forget what the game called it)....
I think it was just called "The Black Bird." And IIRC, you can finally get the real one in QFG5.

I still have all of my original saved characters for 1-4 on a zip disk somewhere (not that I have a zip drive anymore!). I've probably played QFG1 and 2 at least 10 times each, and QFG4 probably the same. I only played QFG3 a few times because I don't like it nearly as much, and I only played QFG5 once. I actually liked QFG5 a lot, but by the time it came out I was just out of college and my computer gaming time was much reduced.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
QFG

I posted this in the "unpopular opinions" thread, but I've never been sure why the third game has such a poor reputation. I know I loved the hell out of it... but nearly every QFG player I've talked to disliked it. Go figure. The big sprawling map, the moral choices, the game (mancala? I disremember), the hot girl at the inn... man, great memories already!

Ok, more playing tonight and an update, I promise. Not much left to do in the first game now
Old 08-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #12

Loving this thread. It's inspired me to dust off the old QFG discs and give em a whirl.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 08-05-2007, 07:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFG View Post
I posted this in the "unpopular opinions" thread, but I've never been sure why the third game has such a poor reputation. I know I loved the hell out of it... but nearly every QFG player I've talked to disliked it. Go figure. The big sprawling map, the moral choices, the game (mancala? I disremember), the hot girl at the inn... man, great memories already!
QFG3 rocks just as hard as every other QFG (including QFG5, you naysayers out there). QFG2 is the exception, only in that rocks slighty harder than the others do.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

The only QfG game I've played is the VGA remake of #1, but I have them all. I was intending to play them all in order once Tierra's QfG2 remake came out...
Old 08-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #15
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
The only QfG game I've played is the VGA remake of #1, but I have them all. I was intending to play them all in order once Tierra's QfG2 remake came out...
You really should play them all as soon as you get the chance. There's no guarantee AGDI will ever release the damn thing at all. Besides, you're missing out on a quality game series with top-notch humor.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:34 PM   #16
QFG

Ok, finishing QFG1 tonight. Will post the results as soon as it happens. Anyone else playing along with me?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #17

Wow! You finished that quick! Was never able to start playing it with you. LOL!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #18
QFG

It helps when you remember almost all the puzzles well in advance! The only one I got half-stuck on was the Three Stooges brigand puzzle... forgot the exact order of events and forgot that
Spoiler:
you could jump on the table
... otherwise I even remembered the exact order of the Warlock maze, etc.

I did, however, forget to claim my reward for Elsa - I went straight to Baba Yaga. Damn.

Well, if I had done what I did as a kid and spend much of the game simply maxing out stats, my character would have been much more impressive - 100 in all the things you can practice, above 70 in all the "base" stats. As it is, I only maxed out stealth and picking locks, and made it above 70 in climbing and throwing. Again - is there any way to work on "luck" ?

I had forgotten how beautiful the day/night shading was - very impressive. I never had a chance to play the EGA version - does it do the same thing there?

In fact, I have a lot of questions about the EGA version - are there any additional things you can do with the parser? Any additional eggs? Do day and night cycle? Any screens would be very welcome.

OK, I'm importing my character into QFG2 tonight and beginning... TRIAL BY FIRE!

Wish me luck.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

I agree, the day/night cycle in this game is gorgeous.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #20
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFG View Post
It helps when you remember almost all the puzzles well in advance! The only one I got half-stuck on was the Three Stooges brigand puzzle... forgot the exact order of events and forgot that
Spoiler:
you could jump on the table
... otherwise I even remembered the exact order of the Warlock maze, etc.

I did, however, forget to claim my reward for Elsa - I went straight to Baba Yaga. Damn.

Well, if I had done what I did as a kid and spend much of the game simply maxing out stats, my character would have been much more impressive - 100 in all the things you can practice, above 70 in all the "base" stats. As it is, I only maxed out stealth and picking locks, and made it above 70 in climbing and throwing. Again - is there any way to work on "luck" ?

I had forgotten how beautiful the day/night shading was - very impressive. I never had a chance to play the EGA version - does it do the same thing there?

In fact, I have a lot of questions about the EGA version - are there any additional things you can do with the parser? Any additional eggs? Do day and night cycle? Any screens would be very welcome.

OK, I'm importing my character into QFG2 tonight and beginning... TRIAL BY FIRE!

Wish me luck.
You really shouldn't go back to the castle after rescuing Elsa, as the game ends prematurely. You still get a happy ending, but there's no final confrontation with Baba Yaga.

The EGA versions (Hero's Quest and then QFG1EGA) are nice. Some of the Easter Eggs derive extra humor from the parser (you actually have to type in "pick nose", for instance, instead of just clicking your lockpick on yourself).

The day-night cycle exists, but instead of having a gentle transition, night crashes down like a chandelier in the Opera Garnier--usually when you walk from one screen to another. There was just no way to have a suitable twilight effect back then.