You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Hardest puzzle EVER!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #1

Default Hardest puzzle EVER!!!!!!

OK I'm sure this has been covered in some form but lets make the definitive list. There's got to be a single puzzle that's considered the most obtuse, ridiculous ever. I've heard the last puzzle in Schism required literally trial and error and there are over 1000 combinations.

Anyone?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
QFG

I'm not familiar with that puzzle, but if that's true it's got to be a prime candidate.

I'm going to nominate "Infection" - the Go-style bacteria puzzle in The 7th Guest. Not only was there NO "solution" - you just had to improve at the game until you got very lucky and outplayed the devious (and ingenious) AI - but, for me at least, it came early in the game and really killed momentum.

If Stauf had simply put in a dozen variants of the bacteria puzzle in his mansion, no one would ever have learned his secrets, trust me. He would've been home free.

A lot of people nominate the "retrieve the key" sequence in The Longest Journey, but I didn't have problems with that, and my wife literally solved it at first glance.

Looking back, I thought that the entire first sequence of KQIII was devilishly hard, ESPECIALLY the spell-making.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

I would say answering any question in Zombieville. If you picked the wrong answer, you died. Only numerous trial and error would yield the answer after you died, reloaded, and died again over and over again.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I don't know if the Babel Fish puzzle in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the hardest puzzle ever, but IMHO it's a solid candidate for *evilest* puzzle.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."

Last edited by Jeysie; 07-12-2007 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
OK I'm sure this has been covered in some form but lets make the definitive list. There's got to be a single puzzle that's considered the most obtuse, ridiculous ever. I've heard the last puzzle in Schism required literally trial and error and there are over 1000 combinations.
Schizm was full of difficult puzzles, but they were all clued somewhere.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
QFG

Oooooh... forgot about the Babel Fish puzzle. That WAS dastardly in every way.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFG View Post
Oooooh... forgot about the Babel Fish puzzle. That WAS dastardly in every way.
Hm... there must be hundreds of develish puzzles I couldn't do without some help, but the Babelfish isn't one of them, I solved it without blinking an eye. Piece of cake.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:44 AM   #8
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Hardest puzzle ever was the Chinese Checkers puzzle in Shivers
Old 07-12-2007, 01:57 AM   #9
The Quiet One

I'd probably nominate that picture sliding puzzle in The Black Mirror. That puzzle really does my tree in and i dread it whenever i play the game. I think i've only ever successfully cracked it once and i can't seem to do it again. It causes the game to grind to a halt and i find it tedious just randomly moving the blocks around hoping i get it.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-12-2007, 02:01 AM   #10

The 'Rubber Ducky' puzzle in The Longest Journey.

Spoiler:
April needs to get a key that's caught on a subway rail. She has a rubber glove. That doesn't work. You need to find a clothes line, a rubber ducky and a band aid to combine with the rubber glove into an improbable contraption to lift the key off the rail. The worst part was a total lack of indication that you needed to find or combine those items or even how the end item worked. It was a serious error in logic and seemed to only extend the game and frustrate players. I don't know anyone who solved that puzzle without asking online.

Last edited by stepurhan; 07-13-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #11
LA-S-LE

Figuring out the code in Feeble Files. Clever, inventive puzzle, which is also damn hard.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:54 AM   #12
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
Figuring out the code in Feeble Files. Clever, inventive puzzle, which is also damn hard.
Yep, way too hard. The paint puzzle was impossible as well. For me, that is. I should be ashamed to admit that it took me a loooong time to figure out the step-by-step instructions in the walkthrough. But I'm not. I solved the Babelfish.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:11 AM   #13
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
I don't know anyone who solved that puzzle without asking online.
Me.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-12-2007, 05:01 AM   #14
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie View Post
I don't know if the Babel Fish puzzle in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the hardest puzzle ever, but IMHO it's a solid candidate for *evilest* puzzle.
I agree, with the disclaimer that its alignment is lawful evil. Even though I did get stuck and mildly frustrated on the last stage of the puzzle, I never stopped feeling that I'm in on the joke (rather than that the game is hampering my progress just because). It's totally subjective, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
I'd probably nominate that picture sliding puzzle in The Black Mirror. That puzzle really does my tree in and i dread it whenever i play the game. I think i've only ever successfully cracked it once and i can't seem to do it again. It causes the game to grind to a halt and i find it tedious just randomly moving the blocks around hoping i get it.
Hm. I guess there is one problem with this puzzle, ie.

Spoiler:
the use of Zodiac signs,

which, (judging from the bad reputation the puzzle gets) aren't as commonly identifiable as the designers assumed. But if you've got that part right, it's the most mundane version of the slider puzzle, isn't it?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Me.
And me. And:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QFG View Post
A lot of people nominate the "retrieve the key" sequence in The Longest Journey, but I didn't have problems with that, and my wife literally solved it at first glance.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Me too, I'm afraid.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 AM   #16

The "bacteria" thing in The 7th Guest is, strictly speaking, a game and not a puzzle. You're competing directly against an AI opponent. The idea of having several puzzles and then a "boss" game against Stauf to end each level was spelled out much more clearly in The 11th Hour.

I'll agree that the solitaire ("Chinese checkers") in Shivers was horrendous for me personally, because I've never been able to solve peg-jumping puzzles. Like sliders, they're something you either have a knack for or you don't. But it had the advantage of being a very traditional, standard puzzle. I instantly said, "I know what that is, I know what to do, and I know I can't do it", and went and looked it up in a puzzle book. That's my solution, and I stand by it.

The marble-flipping thing in Shivers was very challenging, and would have been impossible to solve by trial and error, but again it was at least easy to understand what the goal was. I solved it fairly easily once I mapped it out on paper, and it was tremendously satisfying to get right.

The REALLY hard puzzles are the unfair ones, where you don't even know what the problem is or what you're supposed to do.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:12 AM   #17
Your average crooner

Name a game by Detallion. Pick a puzzle. Yes, that one.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:26 AM   #18
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
The REALLY hard puzzles are the unfair ones, where you don't even know what the problem is or what you're supposed to do.
You mean like all the puzzles in the Goblins series!

My god! My head still hurts!
Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #19

Well, I hate mechanical or Myst style puzzles because I find them the hardest. Other than that, the maze and gem puzzles in Legend of Kyrandia were very hard.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #20

I had a very hard time with several MI4 puzzles. It took me forever to get the hang of the whole dual realm swamp scene. I figured out the clock, direction puzzle after a while. The hard part was talking to Guybrush from the future and figuring out the correct order.

Another toughie was the rock puzzle where you had to bang the rocks off eachother fromt he seperate holes in order to direct the main rock where it needs to be.

Another was the dumb combat sequence.