You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Pirates of the Caribbean Ride reference in CMI

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
Retired Buccaneer

Default Pirates of the Caribbean Ride reference in CMI

Another one of my game history/resource file investigation threads! It's been far too long since I've done something like this.

So I was looking through the Curse of Monkey Island disk 2 resource files today and noticed these two images:

They're from the advertisement for grog in the Goodsoup Hotel lobby, which changes subtly each time Guybrush enters the room. Notice the woman looks almost exactly like CMI's Elaine.

The left picture is the intended first frame in the sequence, which oddly never gets shown during gameplay. On the right is the one that does appear the first time Guybrush enters the hotel.

Now, a few exits and reentries later, you have this:

And this is where Pirates of the Caribbean comes in.

Back a month ago when POTC3 came out, I picked up a book on the history of the original ride, which sparked this train of thought and provided most of the info below. We all know MI1 and MI2 have ride references, most obviously Walt the Dog and the MI2 ending, but CMI is less talked about in this regard.

One of the most well-known characters in the POTC ride is the Redhead, a fetching young lass being auctioned off as a bride for some lucky buccaneer. Among the most famous phrases from the ride is the bidding pirates' cry of "We wants the redhead!" during the auction scene.

(In fact, the Redhead, nicknamed "Scarlett", became so famous that she was turned into a minor character in the POTC movie series.)

Concept art of the Redhead, by Imagineer Marc Davis.

Now, Marc Davis also painted a mural for the POTC ride in Anaheim, showing the Redhead after her marriage and descent into piracy. It's called A Portrait of Things to Come. Davis' concept art for it is shown here below:

Red-haired woman; an eyepatch; a plumed pirate hat; a full flagon of liquor. Rather a lot of the same elements, no?

Seems the CMI team were poking a bit of fun at this famous image by putting a twist on it with their own red-haired character.

(And then, of course, there's the final image in the series, which adds a black goatee in reference to Marcel Duchamp and Dadaism. But that's a whole different kettle of fish.)

More and larger images are available here at my website (scroll down to the bottom).

ETA: Never having ridden the Anaheim ride myself, I wasn't sure where this mural was exactly. Turns out it's... behind a liquor bar! No wonder the CMI team thought it would be a cool thing to reference in the Goodsoup lobby.

Last edited by ATMachine; 06-29-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Wow, that's some cool info ATMachine.

You are like the official AG archeologist, these posts of yours should be made into some sort of article series on the official frontpage.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #3

Hehe - nice
Old 07-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
Wow, that's some cool info ATMachine.

You are like the official AG archeologist, these posts of yours should be made into some sort of article series on the official frontpage.
Im all for that!

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 07-11-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
Now, Marc Davis also painted a mural for the POTC ride in Anaheim, showing the Redhead after her marriage and descent into piracy. It's called A Portrait of Things to Come. Davis' concept art for it is shown here below:

This is killing me: is A Portrait of Things to Come a parody of a particular painting, or just the general Venus-and-Cupid-related imagery from Renaissance and onwards? Because the whole composition, especially the way Redhead is holding the cup and Cupid is pouring the wine into it seems so uncannily familiar.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Headbanger

On a sidenote, redheads rule.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I second that.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
QFG

Thirded.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #9

Natural red-heads or dyed red-heads?
Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
This is killing me: is A Portrait of Things to Come a parody of a particular painting, or just the general Venus-and-Cupid-related imagery from Renaissance and onwards? Because the whole composition, especially the way Redhead is holding the cup and Cupid is pouring the wine into it seems so uncannily familiar.
FYI - ATM is on vacation so it may be a bit before he can rescue you. Can I hook you up to an IV in the meantime to keep you stable?

Old 07-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelza View Post
Natural red-heads or dyed red-heads?
Doesn't matter.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #12
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
FYI - ATM is on vacation so it may be a bit before he can rescue you. Can I hook you up to an IV in the meantime to keep you stable?

Ugh, take that needle away from me! *shudder*

And the question was aimed at anyone who might know, not just ATM. I had wasted an hour of my life looking for the answer prior to making the previous post, but found nothing. Which means that either the answer is "No, it's not alluding to one specific painting." or that I didn't know where to look. (By the way, Google really needs a true image search, ie. I sketch something, and it shows me similar images. )
Old 07-15-2007, 08:27 AM   #13
Retired Buccaneer

The reclining woman is a very popular image in art, especially from that angle. One that you may be thinking of is Titian's Venus of Urbino:

Or Manet's Olympia:

There are literally uncountable images of nude women reclining in that position with that particular angle. But these are the two most famous.

PS: I found a picture of the actual, finished Redhead painting as opposed to the concept art:

Last edited by ATMachine; 07-16-2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Photobucket doesn't know jack about classical art
Old 07-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
Retired Buccaneer

Oh dear God. Classical Venetian Renaissance art violates Photobucket's terms of service?!

Oh well. Earlier post edited to avoid the Nipple Police.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:28 AM   #15
Dungeon Master

Quote:
There are literally uncountable images of nude women reclining in that position with that particular angle. But these are the two most famous.
Yeah. In particular, Titian's Venus was what I immediately thought of - but the scene lacks Cupid as servant! Conversely, no painting or ornament (that I managed to find) with Cupid and wine contains a reclining woman. I guess it's a testament to Marc Davis' artistic intuition that he picked two memes so complementary that I assumed I must have seen them together before.

Anyway, great research, as always.

Quote:
Oh dear God. Classical Venetian Renaissance art violates Photobucket's terms of service?!
Haha, this made my day. Now let's wait for someone to report your posting said art as offensive.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #16

Hmmm... the 'Cupid' pouring the wine reminds me of something in Fantasia but I can't remember exactly what...