You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #1

Default Game Versions

Just wondering how many different versions of certain Adventure Games there are?

For example, there are three versions of 'Kings Quest 1'.

EGA Version
EGA Version with more detail and mouse pointer.
VGA Fan Remake

I also heard that there's disk version of Gabriel Knight (I have CD version).

So on and so forth.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Day of the Tentacle as well as Sam & Max: Hit the Road came in 3.5" disk and CD-ROM (the CD version had voices) versions.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:49 PM   #3

Yep , i played DOTT & Sam & Max in disk format. No voices then , just the text. Had voices at the intro but not in game. I was used to it since i played monkey island 1 & 2 also in disk format.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Retired Buccaneer

*rolls up his sleeves and takes a deep breath*

Right.

Maniac Mansion
A) Original C64 release with 160x200 res, EGA
B) PC release with 160x200 res and slightly modified EGA graphics
C) Amiga, Atari ST, and PC release with improved 320x200 EGA graphics

Zak McKracken
A) Original C64 and PC floppy (or tape for C64) release with EGA 160x200 res and internal speaker music
B) Amiga, Atari ST and PC floppy release with improved EGA 320x200 res (internal speaker music on PC, a bit more sophisticated sounds on Amiga and Atari)
C) FM Towns Japanese CD release with CD music tracks and VGA 320x240 res (languages on CD both English and Japanese, each with slightly different animations)

Loom
A) Original PC/Atari ST/Amiga floppy release with EGA graphics and MIDI music
B) FM Towns Japanese CD release with CD music tracks and VGA graphics (basically an upgrade of the disk version)
C) US/Europe PC CD release (with voice acting). This version has completely rewritten and condensed dialogue when compared with the original disk release, plus quite a few of the VGA graphics are different than in the FM Towns version. Also, most of the CD music from the FM Towns version is missing as well.
D) Macintosh version, like PC EGA floppy but with alternate fonts and a high-res EGA interface

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
A) Original PC/Atari ST/Amiga EGA floppy release
B) PC VGA floppy rerelease
C) Japanese FM Towns CD with VGA graphics and CD music
D) Macintosh version, like PC EGA floppy release but with alternate fonts and a high-res black-and-white verb bank

The Secret of Monkey Island
A) Original PC/Atari ST floppy version with EGA graphics
B) Amiga version with 32-color graphics
C) PC VGA floppy version with 256 color graphics and Adlib music
D) PC VGA CD version with 256 color graphics, altered interface, and CD music tracks
E) Macintosh version, like PC VGA floppy release but with a pixel-smoothing filter

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
A) Original PC floppy release with VGA graphics
B) Amiga 32-color 11-disk floppy release
C) VGA PC CD (which is oddly missing a few lines of dialogue for some reason)
D) Macintosh version, like PC floppy release but with a pixel-smoothing filter

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
A) Original VGA PC floppy release
B) Amiga 32-color floppy release
C) VGA PC CD with full voice acting
D) Original Macintosh version, like PC floppy but with a pixel-smoothing filter
E) Rerelease Macintosh version, like PC CD but with a pixel-smoothing filter

Day of the Tentacle
B) VGA PC CD with voice acting
C) Macintosh version, like PC CD but with a pixel-smoothing filter

Sam and Max Hit the Road
B) VGA PC CD with voice acting
C) Macintosh version, like PC CD but with a pixel-smoothing filter

Full Throttle
A) Original VGA PC CD release
B) Macintosh version, like PC CD but with a pixel-smoothing filter

The Dig
A) Original VGA PC CD release
B) Macintosh version, like PC CD but with a pixel-smoothing filter

King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella
A) AGI version for old computers, 160x200 res
B) SCI version for new computers with sound cards, 320x200 res

King's Quest V
A) Original VGA PC floppy version with turquoise icon bar
B) EGA PC floppy version (a 16-color downgrade of the VGA floppy release, for old computers)
C) VGA PC CD, like floppy release but with simplified gold icon bar and horrendous voice acting
D) Amiga version, 32 colors, no voice acting but gold icon bar from CD version
E) Macintosh version, 256 colors, no voice acting but gold icon bar from CD version

King's Quest VI
A) Original PC VGA floppy version with gold icon bar
B) VGA PC CD with extended intro animation and redrawn gray icon bar
C) 32-color Amiga version with condensed and simplified intro animation (ported by Revolution Software, makers of Broken Sword)
D) 256-color Mac floppy version with a different simplified intro animation

Police Quest III
A) Original PC VGA floppy version
B) EGA PC floppy version (a 16-color downgrade of the VGA floppy release, for old computers)

Space Quest IV
C) PC VGA CD version with voice acting, some art redrawn, and background images more heavily compressed. Oh, and the timed sequences are MUCH, MUCH harder.
D) Amiga version, 32-color port of the PC floppy release

Space Quest I remake
C) Amiga version, 32-color port of the PC floppy release

Leisure Suit Larry I remake

Leisure Suit Larry V

Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: Case of the Serrated Scalpel
A) VGA PC floppy and CD releases (with only occasional voice acting, and pixelated artist-drawn character portraits)
B) 3DO CD release (with very good full voice acting, and FMV clips of actors in costume replacing the pixelized drawn portraits)

Feel free to point out anything I missed. I know there's a long and complex history of Sierra AGI ports that I haven't covered, for example.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #5

Woah!!! An amazing amount of research ATMachine! You really are a machine! Thanks for all your help!

Are there talkie versions of Monkey Island 1 and 2?
Old 06-29-2007, 03:17 AM   #6
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelza View Post
Woah!!! An amazing amount of research ATMachine! You really are a machine! Thanks for all your help!

Are there talkie versions of Monkey Island 1 and 2?
Unfortunately not.

Heh. I forgot to include the KQ5 NES port (which has absolutely awful graphics).
Old 06-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
Elegantly copy+pasted

And the Maniac Mansion NES port (with infamous Nintendo censorship applied), as well as the fan remake Maniac Mansion Deluxe with VGA-style graphics and DOTT-style interface.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
And the Maniac Mansion NES port (with infamous Nintendo censorship applied), as well as the fan remake Maniac Mansion Deluxe with VGA-style graphics and DOTT-style interface.
Oh yes. MM for NES. Douglas Crockford's article on the subject is still the gold standard in criticism of Nintendo of America's censorship policies.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:34 AM   #9

You only barely scratched the surface of Sierra games with multiple versions. Most of the AGI games had versions for several platforms; that was part of the purpose of AGI -- to be portable. There were floppy and CD versions of many of the early to mid '90s SCI games. Even LSL6 had two PC CD versions. Then there are the Sierra family games, such as Willy Beamish, which had a floppy version, talkie PC CD and Sega CD versions.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
Ronin

I'd like to contribute Schizm: Mysterious Journey to the list. There is a CD-ROM version and a DVD version. The CD-ROM version has low quality animations tons of disk swapping. Unfortunately, this is the version that I played.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
You only barely scratched the surface of Sierra games with multiple versions. Most of the AGI games had versions for several platforms; that was part of the purpose of AGI -- to be portable. There were floppy and CD versions of many of the early to mid '90s SCI games. Even LSL6 had two PC CD versions. Then there are the Sierra family games, such as Willy Beamish, which had a floppy version, talkie PC CD and Sega CD versions.
Do elaborate, please. My knowledge of Sierra versions has always been a little spotty.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm View Post
I'd like to contribute Schizm: Mysterious Journey to the list. There is a CD-ROM version and a DVD version. The CD-ROM version has low quality animations tons of disk swapping. Unfortunately, this is the version that I played.
Tex Murphy: Overseer also came on CD and/or DVD, with differences in the video clip quality. And of course there are the original and updated versions of Bad Mojo.

Last Half of Darkness has been more or less continually updated since its original release. I don't know how many separate versions have been published.

Then there are the three versions (and soon to be a fourth, IIRC) of Myst, with the original, the anniversary edition and RealMyst.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
lobo.rojo

Cryo games like Faust, Atlantis I and II (aka Beyond Atlantis), Odissey, Aztec (aka Sacred Amulet), Pompeii (aka Timescape), Versailles I and II, etc... have CD and DVD multilingual versions, easy to find on Ebay.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
Do elaborate, please. My knowledge of Sierra versions has always been a little spotty.
There used to be a thread on the now defunct Mega Tokyo boards about SCI games that had EGA/VGA/floppy/CD/Language/platform variations. Some of the games were remade not once, but twice (Mixed-up Mother Goose) and although not exactly a remake, KQ5 (which already has many graphics/multimedia/platform and language versions) is loosely based on a very early Sierra game, "The Wizard and the Princess". Without having to spend too much time on a list myself, a couple of links can get you started. From IF-Legends:

http://www.if-legends.org/~adventure...Line,_Inc.html

From the ScummVM Wiki:

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Sierra_Game_Versions