Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Monkey Island 5 news! (rumour!) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/20056-monkey-island-5-news-rumour.html)

Isak 06-12-2007 03:54 AM

Monkey Island 5 news! (rumour!)

Well, this far it's only a rumor, but atleast something and worth to check out:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/you-fight-l...and-267962.php

chapter11studios 06-12-2007 04:38 AM

*checks calendar* Nope, it's not April Fool's Day!

Well, huh. Interesting rumor. I suppose it's possible. In fact I was just thinking the other day that there are more traditional graphic adventures either out now or coming soon that look very promising than I remember in a long, long time. Adventures seem to be making something of a comeback.

If *I* ran LucasArts, I'd look into developing some of those old properties too.

Then again, LucasArts has been basically dead to me since they went all Star Wars all the time, so I'll need more than just a rumor to get me *too* excited.

D.C. 06-12-2007 04:58 AM

At the very least we've got some nice art to look at. It'd be cool if something eventuated, though.

Spiwak 06-12-2007 05:05 AM

If none of the writers that made Monkey Island as great it was would be working on this project, then I have no reason to get too excited about it at this very early point in time. I'm imagining an even worse Monkey Island 4 with robots.

Hammerite 06-12-2007 05:09 AM

I can see it now.

Act 1 - A New Hope.
[Wally] - Come along, Monkey, we must get Elaine off of the ship
[Monkey] - Ook, ook, ook-eek!
*Stormtroo... uh, Zombie Pirates, shoot the crew*
[LeChuck] - Where AAAARR the plans?

*switch off computer, take game in a bag to GameStation, see how much store credit I'll get*

Thaurin 06-12-2007 05:11 AM

Monkey Island 4 was not a bad game.

RLacey 06-12-2007 05:20 AM

If LucasArts announce a new Monkey Island game within the next year I'll go out and buy a hat just to eat it.

Hammerite 06-12-2007 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaurin (Post 418237)
Monkey Island 4 was not a bad game.

What a lovely statement.

samIamsad 06-12-2007 05:25 AM

You forgot about

Act 2 - Arrrr matey! Ok now that we've got this off of our chests where's that bloody map?

Act 3 - Avast, at last that bloody ship and a crew of zany seabears!

and Act 4.1 - Planet of the apes

and Act 5 - It's not quite over yet!

and Act 6 - The Secret Of Monkey Island plus an ending of Lynchian proportions (WTF!!! oh, and TBC, maybe.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiwak (Post 418233)
I'm imagining an even worse Monkey Island 4 with robots.

You make it sound as if EMI was a bad game. :D

Nah, seriously, went through this all countless times before, so I'll just say this: it might have lacked coherence. It might not have been a true Monkey Island game (good heavens!). And God knows what else. But the wit that went into sequences like the time paradoxon in the swamp blows far too many things to pieces. If you ask me, at least, heh. Not sure yet what that says about other games I played though... :P

So eh, if this ever gets to be made, a wild guess: Telltale. Remittance work. :P

Isak 06-12-2007 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samIamsad (Post 418250)
So eh, if this ever gets to be made, a wild guess: Telltale. Remittance work. :P

That's probably not a bad guess, but then I guess they need to buy the license or copyright or whatever it's called for Monkey Island from LucasArts. Can't imagine it would be cheap.
Although, they've already got Sam and Max but I think that license probably was cheaper than the Monkey Island games, considering Monkey Island series popularity.

Trader 06-12-2007 06:12 AM

If you go to the World of Monkey Island web site you can download a bunch of wav files of the fake Monkey Island 5.

chapter11studios 06-12-2007 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isak (Post 418251)
That's probably not a bad guess, but then I guess they need to buy the license or copyright or whatever it's called for Monkey Island from LucasArts. Can't imagine it would be cheap.

Couldn't LucasArts outsource the development and remain the publisher and rights holder?

Hammerite 06-12-2007 06:22 AM

I don't see why they insist on keeping the copyright, they won't use it, because it won't make money, and they won't give it to someone else, because they'll be LOSING money!

Melanie68 06-12-2007 06:23 AM

Look at this page of a thread at Telltale.

It was concept art for a cancelled Monkey Island animated movie.

Bobske 06-12-2007 06:23 AM

A link to a Dutch newssite: http://games.fok.nl/news.php?newsid=18358

And, OMG it looks nothing like MI4!

Dale Baldwin 06-12-2007 06:27 AM

*pours a big pile of salt into the thread for everybody to take pinches from*

samIamsad 06-12-2007 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isak (Post 418251)
I guess they need to buy the license or copyright or whatever it's called for Monkey Island from LucasArts. Can't imagine it would be cheap.

That's not what I meant, hence the reason I used the term "remittance work". What chapter11studios said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel
Look at this page of a thread at Telltale.

It was concept art for a cancelled Monkey Island animated movie.

Awww man! Party pooper alert! :P

Hammerite 06-12-2007 06:30 AM

Ho ho ho.

chapter11studios 06-12-2007 06:39 AM

Quote:

Look at this page of a thread at Telltale. It was concept art for a cancelled Monkey Island animated movie.
That's what the thread says, but when I looked at the concept art from the cancelled movie and compared it to the stuff just posted at World of MI, I didn't see a whole lot of similarities.

It probably doesn't mean anything, of course. I just sayin'.

ATMachine 06-12-2007 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapter11studios (Post 418284)
That's what the thread says, but when I looked at the concept art from the cancelled movie and compared it to the stuff just posted at World of MI, I didn't see a whole lot of similarities.

It probably doesn't mean anything, of course. I just sayin'.

There were two artists working on the MI movie, with vastly different styles. One was Tony Stacchi, whose art is the stuff shown in the Telltale forum thread. The other was Steve Purcell, who sent some of his own art to World of MI just recently.