You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Lets rate Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon...

View Poll Results: What would you give Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon?
10 3 4.69%
9 7 10.94%
8 17 26.56%
7 32 50.00%
6 2 3.13%
5 0 0%
4 2 3.13%
3 1 1.56%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2004, 10:50 AM   #1
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger
Default Lets rate Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon...

Ok there is a frighteningly huge Broken Sword 3 thread, and it's hard to judge what the community overall thinks of the game because of this. So I think it might be good if we all rate the game out of 10 in the poll so we can see what the overall judgement is.

I rated the game 8/10; it's a very enjoyable adventure game with extraordinairly high production values and a very fun mix of gameplay styles. I loved the plot, the characters and the locations. I think the graphics are stunning, and the music and acting superb. But I felt there were a few too many crate puzzles, and that the puzzles overall were not very challenging. But despite those flaws it's become a personal favourite of mine.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 02-08-2004, 11:14 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

Well... lemme think:

- to be able to die
- sneaking
- crate puzzles
- keyboard control (still negative for me, has still not proven to be nice)
+ story
+ the 2 characters (both the characters as well as being able to play with both of them)
+ graphics
+ sounds etc

In general... well taking all stuff (including above mentioned few points)... a 7 to 7,5... So I mark the 7.

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 02-08-2004, 11:19 AM   #3
Iconoclast

I have three separate ratings for this game. I am not sure how you want me to vote.

As a console action-adventure: 6

As a PC action-adventure: 4

As a PC adventure: 2

Under which one am I supposed to rate it?
Old 02-08-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I overly enjoyed this game, so I would be tempted to give it an 8, but the last fraction towards the end was a real letdown, so i'm going to drop it to 7.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:31 AM   #5

I gave it a 7 to take revenge for the "P&C is dead" quote.

Old 02-08-2004, 11:44 AM   #6
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
I gave it a 7 to take revenge for the "P&C is dead" quote.

What 'point & click is dead' quote?
Old 02-08-2004, 11:53 AM   #7
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
I have three separate ratings for this game. I am not sure how you want me to vote.

As a console action-adventure: 6

As a PC action-adventure: 4

As a PC adventure: 2

Under which one am I supposed to rate it?
Wouldn't it be better to just rate it as a GAME?

I gave it 7/10 - less crates, more characters and original puzzles, please.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:27 PM   #8
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
Wouldn't it be better to just rate it as a GAME?
That would be nice, but how good the game is, is somewhat relative to the platform it is on. BS3 was designed for a console and is a more enjoyable experience on one because of it, hence why I rate it higher in that category. I guess since I am a PC gamer, I should just give it a 4 though.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:52 PM   #9

I've only just started the game, after not being able to get it installed since early December. Then thanx to a chick from Dreamcatcher, lo and behold she found out what my problem was!!

I am quite enjoying the game, it starts well, but is a let down as far as the story is concerned, I'm finding it a bit boring. B/S 1 & 2 I couldnt leave alone, but this one doesnt seem to grab me the same.

I dont like the keyboard control, cos George wont run straight, he prats about and goes the wrong way, banging into walls etc.

I played the other 2 games on psx, and found it much easier to control him.

And i do love to be in control I'll rate it when I'm done, but so far I would give it 5/10. I've just finished the crystal puzzle btw.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #10
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I gave it a 7, I was disappointed that there was actually only one puzzle I enjoyed as challenging and that was the wine bottle puzzle.

And the crates, I'm not going to say anything about that...

Controls were sometimes fine, but not even near good.

And as Bastich said, it's designed for a console.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:41 PM   #11
lemonhead11

I loved most of the game so I gave it a 9. At first the crate puzzles were fun but there were just too many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
What 'point & click is dead' quote?
The one made by Charles Cecil, who was the project leeader.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:05 PM   #12

I gave it a seven. I really liked the game but it did have alot of flaws.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:26 PM   #13
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Cecil, yes that rings a bell. I remember reading the PCGamer UK review of Broken Sword 3, and I found it irritating how the reviewer was blatantly kissing this guys ass.

They kept going on about how BS3 is the saviour of the genre, and about "Lucasart's mistake" - referring to how they made Grim Fandango and Monkey 4 using 3D characters against a pre-rendered backdrop, as appose to the full 3D method used in BS3. This really pissed me off.
Grim Fandango is a much better designed adventure game, regardless of whether or not BS3 has a better interface or technology.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:55 AM   #14
Cognitive Dissonant

I meant to hit 8, not nine, darnit!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:10 AM   #15
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

7/10. It was certainly innovative in some ways, but still flawed and with some annoying plot holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
Cecil, yes that rings a bell. I remember reading the PCGamer UK review of Broken Sword 3, and I found it irritating how the reviewer was blatantly kissing this guys ass.

They kept going on about how BS3 is the saviour of the genre, and about "Lucasart's mistake" - referring to how they made Grim Fandango and Monkey 4 using 3D characters against a pre-rendered backdrop, as appose to the full 3D method used in BS3. This really pissed me off.
Grim Fandango is a much better designed adventure game, regardless of whether or not BS3 has a better interface or technology.
I lost faith in PC Gamer after seeing in the latest issue (Or next-to latest) where Kieron Gillen kissed Eidos' and Ion Storm's ass by giving Deus Ex: Invisible War 92%. The game was okay, but worthy of a Game of the Month award it was not; way too many shortcomings and glitches.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:55 PM   #16
Disciplined Breakdown

I gave it an 8, I really liked it, my only comlaint was that it was kinda short. Didn't really mind the crates too much, they were easy, and never took more than a minute or too. I think if it had been longer, the puzzles would have felt more numerous, as they needed to be. Also, I loved the ending sequence, I thought it was a blast.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:55 PM   #17

I gave it a ten.
I really enjoyed this game, and despite it's few problems, it's one of the few recent games I just wouldn't want to end. It had a nice length, too. Revolution should take our thoughts about the crates, more characters and such into consideration, but while it's not a perfect game, I had a blast playing it the way it was, so I have no problems giving it the top score.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:19 AM   #18
Rookie Cop

I liked the game a lot.

Ok, the crates were very annyoing.
But the storyline, music and dialogue was great as usual.

The puzzles seemed a little too easy in places - but that didn't make the games worse in quality really - it just meant the game seemed shorter.

I'd probably give it an 8.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:58 PM   #19

I liked it a lot... but I I have to say, the fact that you couldn't skip cutscenes once you had seen them was annoying, and the crate puzzles... well, they were fun but there were just too many of them as has been said. I liked the ending story-wise, but the gameplay there felt a bit anti-climatic.

... but beyond that, great story, fantastic characters, fun puzzles and the music, I have to agree, was excellent. Animation was great but I felt there wasn't enough of it... a lot of "magic hand" actions.

All in all a solid step forwards for the genre. An 8 from me.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:30 AM   #20
AGSer

Send a message via Yahoo to Nellie

It made some steps forwards (which we all know about), but also a few steps backwards (non-contextual puzzles, very easy puzzles, badly implemented action events, blah). Pretty solid game but an 'above average' 7, rather than a 'very good' 8 for me.

I see Steve Ince modestly gave it a 9.

And I'd be interested to hear Zanthia's reasons for giving it a 3. (Note: I am genuinely interested in hearing the reasons, and am absolutely not interested in starting an argument.)