Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Bone: The Great Cow Race (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/19956-bone-great-cow-race.html)

Trader 06-02-2007 09:16 AM

Bone: The Great Cow Race

has anyone played Bone: The Great Cow Race just want to know if it is anygood? It got a good AG review.

Udvarnoky 06-02-2007 09:43 AM

Yes, it is. I don't know if you've played the first one, but this one is a tremendous improvement.

Trader 06-02-2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Udvarnoky (Post 415952)
Yes, it is. I don't know if you've played the first one, but this one is a tremendous improvement.

No I havent played the first one, but after reading the review I think I might hunt it down.It looks interesting.

Melanie68 06-02-2007 10:25 AM

You don't have to hunt very hard, you can download them at Telltale's store. :)

There will be physical copies of both games (the updated versions) but they aren't out yet. See this thread.

dmeps 06-03-2007 05:22 AM

I didn't like the second part at all. While the first one had a sense of urgency, "The Race" lacks this momentum. More so, while I'm all eager to help any Bone get out of his predicament, i just couldn't relate to the love problems of these creatures to the extent of poetry-writing and 'marching up and down the square' in order to just get the girl's attention. (Hope, I gave no spoilers in here!)

Hamham Chan 06-03-2007 09:59 AM

The Great Cow Race was much, much better. The first game wasnt really a adventure game, was it? It consisted mostly of annoying minigames, like when you play hide and seek with the possum kids, and such.
Thankfully we didnt have to suffer thru any such things in the second game. :)

Lucien21 06-03-2007 10:09 AM

It's too bad Telltale dumped it with no sign of them resuming so far.

Sam and Max is taking precedent.

We need a BRING BACK BONE campaign.

Squinky 06-03-2007 10:15 AM

I think I'm the only person in the universe who actually liked Out from Boneville's minigames.

Melanie68 06-03-2007 10:16 AM

I don't think they dumped it (mind you this is just my impression). There was an interview with Dan Connors in which he mentioned Bone:

Quote:

We haven’t seen a new Bone chapter since this season of Sam & Max began. Is there anything that you can reveal about Bone episode three? When do you expect to release it?

Dan Connors: We’ve been really focused on Sam & Max and nailing the episodic model. This has helped the company better understand digital distribution, and we’re in a great position to take advantage of the Bone license, but our teams are very busy right now. As the company grows we will revisit Bone.
Edit: I liked the mini games too (except I could never get past the Locust chase so I bypassed it)! :)

Udvarnoky 06-03-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squinky (Post 416173)
I think I'm the only person in the universe who actually liked Out from Boneville's minigames.

You were not. Lots of reviewers picked on them because apparently the inclusion of minigames or action sequences makes Bone not an adventure game. (I'm not singling you out, Hamham Chan, several reviewers suggested it.)

Squinky 06-03-2007 12:31 PM

Oh really? I can understand people complaining about the locust chase, which was really the only action sequence there was (though I'd find this a tad hypocritical, as no one complained similarly about the driving sequences in Sam & Max), but things like the possum hide-and-seek game and the logic puzzle involved in taking Ted the Bug to the other side of the river? How does that make the game "not an adventure game", exactly? Are people using so narrow a definition that any gameplay that doesn't involve "use foo on bar" inventory puzzles must be excluded?

SnorkleCat 06-04-2007 06:47 AM

We've just begun the Great Cow Race- last night in fact.

I agree with Squinky here about the game play elements. I'm a bit tired of hearing that an adventure game can only be a point and click-inventory-3rd person game. I think it's silly to limit an entire genre to one specific style/game play type/perspective.

As for the first Bone...I didn't think the mini games were unreasonable, out of place, or inappropriate- but then again, I'm something of a liberal when it comes to game design.

Udvarnoky 06-04-2007 09:19 AM

And it's not like you need to be. If Bone isn't a traditional graphic adventure game, I don't know what is.

HieroHero 06-04-2007 10:13 PM

i liked the possum hide and seek i thought it was fun and cute.. cow race is a pretty good game.. more for kids though.. i played the game with my 7 yr old nephew and 5 yr old niece and they loved it

Starflux 06-06-2007 04:21 AM

The first one was nice (I just reviewed both games for Dutch gaming magazine GMR), but a bit short and very linear. I didn't really feel like I was playing a sophisticated game by any means, though it had much charm. The Great Cow Race, however, was an astonishing improvement. Using the non-linear character-switching structure of Day of the Tentacle, it had so much more depth and character growth. I thought the love storyline and the greed storyline (if I may be so bold to term them) were very nicely intertwined, and it all felt very charming, deceptively innocent and adventurey. And less shallow than the first game; gameplaywise.

GhostPirateLechuck 06-06-2007 03:41 PM

How long are these two games? I have been wary of downloading them due to lack of content. Hopefully somebody can change my mind.

Terramax 06-07-2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squinky (Post 416173)

I loved them. For me it was funny, unexpected and for the younger generation and well interegrated into the story.

I did find the final chase at the end of the first game hard though, mainly because there was a bug of some sorts and the controls were unresponsive (whether this was the game or my mouse I cannot remember).

jp-30 06-08-2007 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostPirateLechuck (Post 416924)
How long are these two games? I have been wary of downloading them due to lack of content. Hopefully somebody can change my mind.

If memory serves me correctly Out From Boneville is probably about as long as the average Telltale Sam & Max episode (but with way more locations, some cute minigames and slightly easier-than-Sam&Max puzzles).

Cow race maybe 1.5 to 2x longer than a Sam & Max episode. More interactivity, more populated scenes, harder puzzles, many more locations. The race itself is one of my favourite adventure puzzle sequences ever (due to fun, not difficulty).

Well, for me and my playthrough style, anyway.

HieroHero 06-08-2007 04:31 PM

great cow race must be atleast 5 hours.. it took me a few months playing bits and pieces when I had the time