Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Flight of the amazon queen (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/19936-flight-amazon-queen.html)

sand maester 05-30-2007 04:04 PM

Flight of the amazon queen

I just noticed this game on the ScummVM site. Has anyone ever played it? Whats it like?

Marian 05-30-2007 04:41 PM

I played this last year through ScummVM. The graphics and interface are similar to 1990s Lucasarts adventures. Gentle, offbeat humor, and a very nice game overall. Be sure to play the talkie version if you decide to give the game a try.

I quite enjoyed it. :)

Kingzjester 05-30-2007 07:09 PM

The writing is abysmal. The story retarded and nonsensical and the humor fails to be humorous every single time. It is a true achievement in bad. It is not even amusing.

I remember liking it when I was wee, but having played it recently again, I was very disappointed in the kid I used to be.

Marian 05-30-2007 07:43 PM

Heh. I just discovered a review of the game right here at Adventure Gamers:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,82

I'd say that review summarizes it nicely. It's not in my top ten or anything, certainly. But I found it fair to middling at times but overall good, just like the reviewer.

QFG 05-30-2007 08:17 PM

I agree with the review posted above; worth spending some time with, to find out if it hits your fancy or not.

Hamham Chan 06-01-2007 05:00 AM

Amazon Queen is freeware, so you can download it for free. :) :7

GhostPirateLechuck 06-01-2007 09:55 PM

The voices are embarrassing in this one. Kind of fun though if you accept the fact that it is almost 15 years old.

insane_cobra 06-01-2007 11:26 PM

I love it, it's one of my favorites, although I have to agree that it's better played with the voices turned off. I even prefer it to some Lucasfilm Games classics, but I guess you need to be a fan of pulp adventure stories to fully appreciate it.

Mikekelly 06-03-2007 05:42 PM

:D
Kinda like an Indy part 2. Played like a classic Amiga adventure game.

Well worth free - I would have paid $59.95 in 1995.

;)

GoT 06-03-2007 06:42 PM

one of the only aussie adventures that really made it onto the list of games that people actually remember or know about.

Give it a shot, why not :)

SnorkleCat 06-04-2007 07:55 AM

We tried this one out some time ago but never finished it...guess we just lost interest.

Erwin_Br 06-04-2007 11:59 AM

I love this game. It's a ridiculous game, but that's the charm.

--Erwin

RLacey 06-04-2007 02:51 PM

I liked it a lot when it was originally released. It's certainly not perfect, but you can't really go wrong with free; it's well worth downloading it and seeing if you like it.

Nelza 06-04-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoT (Post 416269)
one of the only aussie adventures that really made it onto the list of games that people actually remember or know about.

Give it a shot, why not :)

Is it really an Aussie Game? All the characters seem to sound American to me except for one (who is an Aussie character) but even then it sounds like a fake Aussie accent.

Larry Emmo 06-04-2007 10:50 PM

Just cause it's an aussie adventure it doesnt mean they have to sound australian, Gilbert Goodmate is swedish and they sound american, same goes for Norweigan TLJ and spanish Runaway. So why not an aussie adventure with american actors.

Brilliant game anyway but too short!

chapter11studios 06-05-2007 12:31 AM

I'm actually playing it right now. It's OK, but I had high expectations and it's fallen short. It features some of the stupidiest puzzles ever. That confused gorilla, anyone? It's also trying too hard to be funny using other people's jokes. I counted at least two direct quotes from Indiana Jones and Star Wars, another from the Terminator. And yet, despite all that, it does have a certain charm.... with the voices turned off, that is.

jcornwall 06-05-2007 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelza (Post 416524)
Is it really an Aussie Game? All the characters seem to sound American to me except for one (who is an Aussie character) but even then it sounds like a fake Aussie accent.

Somewhere floating around the net is a short demo of Flight of the Amazon Queen. Rather than being a clip of the game itself, instead you're sent to interview the programmers on a remote island. If that's what Australia looks like then I'm packing my bags!

Now I come to think of it that demo was more entertaining than the game itself. :D

Ah, here it is.

malmac 06-05-2007 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingzjester (Post 415246)
The writing is abysmal. The story retarded and nonsensical and the humor fails to be humorous every single time. It is a true achievement in bad. It is not even amusing.

I remember liking it when I was wee, but having played it recently again, I was very disappointed in the kid I used to be.

I would agree. I played it with a friend for a couple of hours, we both hated it.

It is in no way similar to a Lucas Arts adventure, at least not quality wise.

Malcolm

CaptainDread 06-10-2007 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapter11studios (Post 416540)
It's also trying too hard to be funny using other people's jokes. I counted at least two direct quotes from Indiana Jones and Star Wars, another from the Terminator.

Show me a humourous game that doesn't have quotes from other sources and I'll show you a blank CD.

rlpw 06-10-2007 06:56 PM

I found it in the Ubuntu repository. It was fun!