You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Hello, new member who's rediscovered the genre

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon
Default Hello, new member who's rediscovered the genre

Hi, I'm a new member, and remember being into adventure games since the days of such games as Mountains of Ket, Terromolinos, and Hampstead on the ZX Spectrum.

However, I really got into the genre with the Maniac Mansion style graphic games. Since Gabriel Knight 3, the genre pretty much seemed to die a death, but recently I've managed to get hold of some newer games that I've thoroughly enjoyed.

I got hold of Secret FIles:Tunguska. While not a perfect game, I've got to admit that the graphics are gorgeous, some of the puzzles are frustrating, but I enjoyed the game.

Runaway and Runaway 2. Finished these as well, and while they have their foibles and aren't perfect I enjoyed them a lot.

I'm always looking for new games of the genre and hope to have a blast at this forum.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Psychonaut

Cool a fellow Scot.

Welcome to the forum.

The rumours of the death of adventures was just a myth spread by those damn Doom fans.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
Doctor Watson

I think adventure games have caught leprosy instead of dying. The last adventure game I liked was The Longest Journey, after that I've mostly been disappointed by uninteresting games. Sam & Max might be interesting, although the demo wasn't as brilliant as I had expeced from all the hype...
Old 05-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #4

The genre does seem to be enjoying something of a rebirth. While I like a wide variety of games, adventures have always been one of my favourites.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
Dungeon Master

Welcome, Jadefalcon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie View Post
I think adventure games have caught leprosy instead of dying. The last adventure game I liked was The Longest Journey, after that I've mostly been disappointed by uninteresting games.
Why didn't you try playing the interesting ones instead?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
tsa
Playing character

Welcome, Jadefalcon!
Old 05-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #7
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie View Post
I think adventure games have caught leprosy instead of dying. The last adventure game I liked was The Longest Journey, after that I've mostly been disappointed by uninteresting games.
But apparently you did also play some interesting games that didn't disappoint you. Which ones where they?
Old 05-26-2007, 12:44 AM   #8
Passion Adventurist

Send a message via MSN to Hysteria

Welcome, Jadefalcon!
If u didn't play Fahrenheit, The Longest Journey, Still Life, Broken Sword series, Syberia series, Dream Fall (or The Longest Journey 2) - I recommend you. Oh, & of course Sanitarium.
Wishlist: Belief & Betrayal, Gabriel Knight Series, Black Dahlia ...
Old 05-26-2007, 01:42 AM   #9
The Quiet One

Welcome Jadefalcon

Great avatar, i have the same picture as a desktop wallpaper on my computer.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Welcome, Jadefalcon!
If u didn't play Fahrenheit, The Longest Journey, Still Life, Broken Sword series, Syberia series, Dream Fall (or The Longest Journey 2) - I recommend you. Oh, & of course Sanitarium.
Well...lets see.

I have Fahrenheit, I'm stuck at the infiltration part of the military base.

I've never seen Still Life, at least I don't think I have. I've got Broken Sword 1,2 and 4, I just didn't like 3 at all. Dream Fall and the Longest Journey I have, though I was a bit disappointed by Dreamfall. I picked up the Syberia Collectors edition not too long ago. Sanitarium I played years back and then sold.

I've also recently played Runaway 1 and 2, and Secret Files:Tunguska.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #11

See, when most game genres die, they can just restart the level with an extra life.
The adventure game genre, though, whenever it dies, it has to restore from an earlier save.
And a lot of times it doesn't actually die, but it hits a dead end.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #12

I'm trying to get some decent adventures. I got hold of Nightlong from Ebay for just over ÂŁ5 all told. Unfortunately, of the three games shops in town (Game, Gamestation and an independent called Games Centre), there are very few adventures. Games Centre is usually the best as they have a pretty varied selection of games including more obscure ones.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #13

I hate to tell you this, but it doesn't seem like you've missed anything. The Longest Journey probably was the last great PC adventure release. I've not played the recent Sam 'n Max game, though, so I can't speak for that.

For my adventure fix, I've found that the Nintendo DS has served me best, with games like Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney and Hotel Dusk.