Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Good Full Motion Video (FMV) adventure games (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/19871-good-full-motion-video-fmv-adventure-games.html)

CaptainDread 05-24-2007 11:54 AM

Good Full Motion Video (FMV) adventure games

Lately I've been getting into FMV games. They unfairly have a bad reputation - sure there are some real stinkers, but there are some gems if you look hard enough. I can think of two games that I found to be quite excellent:

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within. The storyline is solid, the acting is solid as well, the integration of prerendered graphics against FMV is done very well considering the game was released at a time when the best video compression available was the original Windows AVI. That said, the video is presented in a less-than-letterbox format that allows the video to look good even considering the faults of the compression format.

Ripper. Excellent storyline, well thought out puzzles, great music (more games should use Don't Fear the Reaper), decent although not great acting. Though it does have Christopher Walken, even if it's not his best perfomance.

Anyone else know of any other good FMV adventure games?

tsa 05-24-2007 12:06 PM

I found the last 3 Tex Murphy games excellent. Good acting, immersing atmosphere. They were way ahead of their time.

thx1138 05-24-2007 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainDread (Post 413950)
Ripper. ... , great music (more games should use Don't Fear the Reaper)

If you played Prey, while you are being kidnaped that same song is playing...

Best FMV adventures are Tex Murphy games, they have everything: great music, puzzles , story and acting is not bad as in other FMV adventures.

Jelena 05-24-2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsa (Post 413953)
I found the last 3 Tex Murphy games excellent. Good acting, immersing atmosphere. They were way ahead of their time.

Do they work on Win XP?

fov 05-24-2007 12:41 PM

I really enjoyed Tender Loving Care, but I know many people think it's too gameplay-lite.

Kurufinwe 05-24-2007 02:19 PM

You'll find many suggestions in this thread. :)

Marian 05-24-2007 05:22 PM

I recently installed and began playing The Dame Was Loaded. Some info about the game can be found here:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/dame-was-loaded

It didn't get uniformly favorable reviews (but then again, very few games do), but I am finding it quite entertaining. It runs in DOSBox after performing a strange little maneuver, the details of which can be found here:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_l...=2000&letter=T

It was worth the bother. The game designers, I believe, were all in Melbourne, Australia, but the game takes place in the United States.

Burge 05-24-2007 07:09 PM

Get some Tex Murphy into you. The only FPA I'd play again.

Shoal 05-24-2007 07:10 PM

I just finished The Beast Within for the first time and was incredibly disappointed. The more emotionally demanding the scene the more hokey it got; this was, I think, due to sub-par acting... or poor directing (I can't really decide). Making matters worse, I totally lost interest in the story during Chapter 4 with all that tedious "research" (which really boiled down to clicking on absolutely everything and everything and everything but always managing to miss at least something which meant that every screen in every area of that whole blasted chapter had to be pixel-hunted to infinity in order to progress the story).

By the end my total lack of interest in the story and my inability to even emotionally connect to Gabriel (who I really couldn't bring myself to respect), left me with little idea of what was even going on. By the second half of Chapter 6 I was so utterly lost and confused as to the plot that I never even figured out what the opera had to do with anything. I was watching an opera in an opera house, but had no idea why! Nice music, sure, but "...huh?" Worse, the game never seemed to explain itself when everything finally played out.

Eh. Sorry for complaining so much. I just worked for hours and hours to get through that game, and then felt so cheated. The first half of the game was actually pretty good, but everything went completely downhill after that (and fast).

Fien 05-24-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainDread (Post 413950)
Lately I've been getting into FMV games. They unfairly have a bad reputation - sure there are some real stinkers, but there are some gems if you look hard enough.

I love FMV adventures... :9
Bad acting can be great fun too but when it isn't, it is never as awful as bad voiceacting, which can ruin an entire game.

Quote:

Anyone else know of any other good FMV adventure games?
Yeah, Tex Murphy is great. Black Dahlia is also a good dark detective story with some hard puzzles.

My favorite FMV adventures (combination of prerendered graphics and cut scenes with real people) are:
Zork Grand Inquisitor... one of the funniest games ever made
Bad Mojo... lovely, cheesy acting which adds a lot to the fun
The Journeyman Project 2 + 3
Spycraft
Dark Side of the Moon
Temujin... nothing prerendered about it but not everybody's cup of tea.

Shoal 05-24-2007 08:22 PM

Yeah, instead of just complaining about GK2 I ought to be a bit more helpful:

I always really liked the Journeyman Project games. The second and third are FMV-based. Yeah, the acting is even more hokey in those than in GK2, but I'm a sucker for time travel stories. :)

I just now got JP1 up and running in Windows 3.11 in DOSBox. There's something immensely satisfying about getting a game to run perfectly by running it within Windows within DOS within Windows. :D I've forgotten how immersive these games really are...

BenBeynon 05-25-2007 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 413956)
Do they work on Win XP?

Yes....They can be made to work with a little ( or sometimes a lot! ) of fiddling about.

Steve's XP Corner on quandaryland.com shows in detail how to run each of the Tex Murphy titles ( and many other DOS/pre XP Windows releases).

Another fine source of help on the TM series is The unofficial Tex Murphy site.

Pulsar_t 05-25-2007 03:32 AM

Is there a taboo regarding mentioning DOSBox on this board? Granted, some FMV games don't run on it from the get-go, but its support just keeps getting better and better.

Personally I use Virtual PC 2007 to play the Tex Murphy games. And Ripper.

PolloDiablo 05-25-2007 04:31 AM

This one's only released in Hungary so far, but there are plans for an English version and they have a trailer in English.
http://www.yoomurjak.com/?menu=media&page=trailer#

Shoal 05-25-2007 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pulsar_t (Post 414069)
Is there a taboo regarding mentioning DOSBox on this board?

Don't know where you might've gotten that idea, I mention it all the time. :) I couldn't imagine a computer without DOSBox on it.

tsa 05-26-2007 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsa (Post 413953)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 413956)
Do they work on Win XP?

It's been a while since I last played them but I think they work. Maybe you have to switch on the Win95 emulation. If you want I can try the Pandora Directive for you (that's the only one I have here at home).

Hysteria 05-26-2007 12:51 AM

I adore FMV too! :)
Is Missing: Since January or In Memoriam a FMV? Oo

elowen 05-26-2007 02:57 AM

One of my old favorites is a fairly uncommon game, Urban Runner. The acting isn't always the greatest, but it kept me intrigued for weeks.

Erwin_Br 05-26-2007 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov (Post 413961)
I really enjoyed Tender Loving Care, but I know many people think it's too gameplay-lite.

Hmm... There's a lot to do around the house, but I never allowed myself to read all the notes, and look at all the objects, because I wanted to advance the story and see what happens next after answering the questions.

I suddenly remember that I borrowed this game to my sister over a year ago! I'll have to get it back! :P

--Erwin

crabapple 05-26-2007 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolloDiablo (Post 414088)
This one's only released in Hungary so far, but there are plans for an English version and they have a trailer in English.
http://www.yoomurjak.com/?menu=media&page=trailer#

Looks interesting, but I hope they don't use the music that was in the trailer.