You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Original Floppy Versions of KQ5 and KQ6 (A Sierra Junkie's Heaven!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 06:53 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Shoal
Default Original Floppy Versions of KQ5 and KQ6 (A Sierra Junkie's Heaven!)

Hi all. Anyone know where I can score the original, non-CD versions of KQ5 and KQ6? ...other than eBay?

I have the first Collector's Edition they released, but they didn't include the floppy versions. I really don't like the voices in KQ5 and would like to see the original, floppy KQ6.

If I can prove somehow that I own the original Collector's Edition -- ie, that I've bought these games -- would anyone mind if I just asked for a copy of them?

I also own the Space Quest Collector's Edition (the first one released). They screwed you over the same way with Space Quest IV, having it be horribly voiced. I think I remember some of the gameplay being changed as well. I'm damn glad that I actually still have the original SQ4 floppy disks.

Last edited by Shoal; 05-09-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Retired Buccaneer

I don't know what the AG mods have to say about this request, but if you want to prove your sincerity, the best option is probably to take a photo of your CD next to today's newspaper.

KQ5 floppy and KQ6 both have interesting differences from the CD releases. KQ5 on disk, besides not having the awful voices, also has a different icon-bar interface than the CD version, with lots of extra icons (some totally unnecessary). It was Sierra's first try at point-and-click, and it shows; the interface was simplified and streamlined in later games, as well as in the CD rerelease.

KQ6 has a different cut of the intro, with certain animations being simpler than in the CD version (although in one case there's an animated sequence that was omitted for the CD). The intro does have digitized voice, but not by the CD's actors. Also, the icon bar and menus are drawn differently in the disk and CD versions, though they serve exactly the same functions in both. (And in my opinion, they're much uglier in the disk version.)

If you want the KQ6 floppy version just to see the alternate intro, I'd recommend you instead search the Web for the original KQ6 demo, which was actually comprised of the disk version intro, split off from the game.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #3

I'll get on that picture thing.

I was actually interested in the KQ6 floppy version for the same reason as KQ5: I want to experience the original feel of the game as it was released for the first time. (No voices.) I've played through the entire CD/Windows version of it and generally liked the voices and enhanced graphics, but I've become much more of a purist in years of late.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #4

Okay here's a picture. I don't have access to a camera or a newspaper, so I had to scan it and use TIME Magazine. I know this could probably be photoshopped, but these days anything can be photoshopped.

Be sure to shut off automatic image resizing.

http://www.progressivedementia.net/kq.jpg
Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
eXo

Hey Shoal, i sent you a PM earlier. im guessing you didnt check?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

I originally played both of these on the Mac, on floppies. The Mac versions have differences from the PC versions - KQ6's intro was completely different than even the PC floppy version. I posted a movie of the Mac intro on SierraGamers a few years ago but it looks like the attachment isn't there anymore. I don't know if I have the file anymore.

Quote:
KQ5 floppy and KQ6 both have interesting differences from the CD releases. KQ5 on disk, besides not having the awful voices, also has a different icon-bar interface than the CD version, with lots of extra icons (some totally unnecessary). It was Sierra's first try at point-and-click, and it shows; the interface was simplified and streamlined in later games, as well as in the CD rerelease.
Was it? I'm replaying the Windows version of KQ5 now and I don't remember differences in the icons, but it's been so long I'm possibly misremembering. I just remembered I have a copy of this on floppies... I should install that and take a look at it.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
eXo

Here is a site detailing differences between all the KQ6 intros:

http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/kq6intros.html

The root dite has tons of comparisons betweens all types of adventure games:
http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/
Old 05-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #8
Super Moderator

*grin* That's ATMachine's site
Old 05-09-2007, 07:29 AM   #9
eXo

I'm surprised noone else suggested it considering the topic of this thread has turned towards minor differences between floppy and cd versions.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:37 AM   #10
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Was it? I'm replaying the Windows version of KQ5 now and I don't remember differences in the icons, but it's been so long I'm possibly misremembering. I just remembered I have a copy of this on floppies... I should install that and take a look at it.
You can tell as soon as you look at the icon bar which version you have: the CD version icon bar has the icons on amber backgrounds, but on the floppy version the backgrounds are turquoise.

Plus, on the floppy version the Save/Load, Quit, and Control functions are all separate buttons, instead of being merged into one Control icon.

Also, there're two icons for movement: Walk and Travel. Walk makes Graham walk in the SCI0 manner, moving slowly and stopping when he hits an obstacle in his path; Travel is quicker, and Graham moves around obstacles. In the CD version the original Walk icon was removed, and Travel (now, confusingly, renamed "Walk") became the only icon for walking.

I don't think any Mac versions had the PC floppy interface, though, as I know that in the Amiga version of KQ5, which is otherwise like the PC floppy release, the CD interface is used.

That should be enough proof that there were differences.

And of course, if you're talking floppy KQ5, you might also mention that an EGA floppy version was released as well.

EDIT: The KQ5 icon bar:

Disk version

CD version

Last edited by ATMachine; 05-09-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #11

The only thing I'm really concerned about are the horrible, horrible, horrible voices in KQ5. They must cease! Once you hear them they're like a stain in your mind that won't come out!
Old 05-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I'd like to get my hands on the floppy version of KQ5 one of these days. I want to add it to my Many Deaths site at some point, but the CD version I have doesn't seem to have a Text option for the dialogue.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 05-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #13
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie View Post
I'd like to get my hands on the floppy version of KQ5 one of these days. I want to add it to my Many Deaths site at some point, but the CD version I have doesn't seem to have a Text option for the dialogue.

Peace & Luv, Liz
Yeah, the designers of the CD version assumed that everybody would want to listen to the voices, given that it was Sierra's first multimedia adventure and thus the subject of massive hype. (Imagine, a time when adventures got hype in the mainstream media!)

If they had gone with professional actors (as LucasArts did at about the same time with the Loom PC CD) instead of just going "hey, Bill, quit programming for a moment and say this line into the mike," it might actually have lived up to expectations.

I guess reactions to the KQ5 CD were enough to convince the management that a "turn voices off" button wouldn't be amiss in later games. There was one in the SQ4 CD, after all, which was released almost on the heels of KQ5.

ETA: Jeysie, I'm sure you're aware of the easter egg death in KQ5 floppy, right? The sled on the cloak and the sea-serpent in the ice?

Last edited by ATMachine; 05-09-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #14

Whoa, how did "A Sierra Junkie's Heaven!" get added onto the subject line?

Last edited by Shoal; 05-09-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #15
Super Moderator

I did it (I have that power ). You're all discussing things that only devout Sierra lovers/junkies would know.

If you don't want it there, I'll take it out.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I did it (I have that power ). You're all discussing things that only devout Sierra lovers/junkies would know.

If you don't want it there, I'll take it out.
Nah, it's cool.

No one's ever altered my subject line before is all. It just took a second for it to sink in.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #17
eXo

gotta get my sierra fix, quick, somebody shoot some powdered agi gaming directly into my eyeballs!!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #18

Just to see the DOS version of KQ6CD I loaded it up in DOSBox and found that the opening movie is very jittery, and the audio/video sync is a bit off. It doesn't seem to be a CPU cycles thing. Any ideas? (Like maybe that I should move this question to the technical forum? )
Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
I don't think any Mac versions had the PC floppy interface, though, as I know that in the Amiga version of KQ5, which is otherwise like the PC floppy release, the CD interface is used.
After seeing the screenshots you posted, I'm fairly certain the Mac interface was like the PC CD interface. Not 100% sure because it's been a while, but I don't remember all those buttons (like the Stop sign and the two types of Walk).

While we're talking about versions of KQ5, don't forget there was also an NES version... what an ugly thing that was. I've only seen screenshots, never had the honor of playing it in person. (Out of curiosity, I wonder what one would have to do to emulate that game on the DS?)
Old 05-10-2007, 04:10 AM   #20
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoal View Post
Just to see the DOS version of KQ6CD I loaded it up in DOSBox and found that the opening movie is very jittery, and the audio/video sync is a bit off. It doesn't seem to be a CPU cycles thing. Any ideas? (Like maybe that I should move this question to the technical forum? )
I've encountered this problem too. The best solution is actually to use an older version of DOSBox (I suggest version 0.60). Unfortunately version 0.60 is no longer available on the DOSBox website.

PS: I've uploaded the KQ6 demo (which is the disk version intro) for your viewing pleasure. Snag it here. Apologies for using FileFactory, but my own server is full at the moment.

PPS: I've just uploaded DOSBox 0.60 to FileFactory. Now you can watch the KQ6 intro without the jittery animations.

Last edited by ATMachine; 05-10-2007 at 04:31 AM.