You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure adventure games in consoles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #1

Default adventure games in consoles

What do you think about that? why the game companies they never release point and click adventure games in consoles? If you look at ps2 there is only syberia and broken sword. And on xbox almost the same plus longest journey...But many titles released only for pc..
Old 05-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
King Silly

Also Discworlds 1 & 2 were PSone releases. Must be more but nothing crosses my mind now.

I don't know, probably because console-gamers doesn't strike so much as...I don't know how to put it -- Lets just say console games seem to be more emphatized on action, sports, et cetera genres. Probably because they just seem to fit on those platforms, where as on PC you see more strategy, RPG's ( and by this I don't mean Japanese type of rpg's), simulations and adventure games. There are also practical issues, as controls and assuming most console owners don't have mouse or keyboard and RPG's, strategygames or *realistic* flight/car simulations would be difficult to make without using those. And of course adventuring can be bit of a pain sometimes without a mouse.

I know if I was a publisher and about to publish an AG, and if I had to choose between console and computer, I would publish it on PC without shadow of doubt because I'd suppose it'd be more succesful there. Also because PC gamers are probably much older by average age and adventure games are one of those genres that has to have relatively high average age amongst the fans compared to the fans of other genres. Just a feeling.

I don't have any facts about what I just said, purely assumptions and my own reasonings that I imagine would and could make sense. To me at least.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:14 AM   #3

I completely agree , but its too bad because I have to upgrade my pc every six months to play adventure games.. I liked the idea of having a console and play everything there...
Too sad thah EVEN the last broken sword game (that has a tradition in playstation) didnt released for any console...
But in the other hand Fahrenheit -a game for older audience- was in the most wanted games for months..So maybe the audience gets what you give them...
Old 05-03-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
eXo

Others off the top of my head:
Beyond Good & Evil (ps2/xbox), Hell on 3DO, Saturn had Darkseed, PSOne had Blazing Dragons, Dreamcast had Stupid Invaders, NES had KQ5, Master system had KQ1, the list goes on. Hell, the Broken Sword games (1 & 2) were released for the gameboy advance.

Ultimately though, each of these games had to be changed/dumbed down a bit for console releases. Point and click with a d-pad/analogue stick just isn't as intuitive. It is easy to see the compression during movies in Discworld 1 and 2 on the PS1.

The entire reason is that consoles are not optimized for this sort of game, it was much more common when sprite processors were more common. the ps1 was KNOWN for being horrible at 2D games, especially compared to the Saturn. Which is why capcom fighting games released for the Saturn and Dreamcast are so highly sought after - without having the arcade cabinet, you can't get that close (even with Mame).

Now that ag's have gone primarily 3D, the entire budget of gaming has shifted.

The cost of developing for the PS2 is much higher then PC, as you need specialized development platforms. So adventure games released on these platofrms have to be MORE then just adventure games. Plus there is a heavy stigma against console Ag's, and is your going to release one you have to be prepared to try and break past that.

Beyond Good and Evil and Indigo Prophecy are both examples of console AG's that were AG's designed for console play.

Resident Evil was probably the first highly successful adventure game on a console - even though there is action involved - it is not skill based. It's more about rationing your ammo, being careful were you walk (just like anyone who has ever played the kings quest series can tell you), and occasionally firing your weapon (which basically hits every time as long as you are remotely facing them).

My point - AG's have been released throughout the life of consoles, they have just found more success as action/adventure hybrids.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #5

What was Shadowgate released on, I remember playing it, but for the life of me I cant remember what system I played it on.It was a great point and click game.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
eXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
What was Shadowgate released on, I remember playing it, but for the life of me I cant remember what system I played it on.It was a great point and click game.
NES and GBC are the consoles it was on.