You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Anything remind you of Adventure Games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 01:41 AM   #1

Default Anything remind you of Adventure Games?

Just reading up on Silicon Knight's upcoming 360 sci-fi game "Too Human" when I saw this image:

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/7...g_4473110.html

You can obviously tell exactly what my first thought was:

Spoiler:
Monkey Island 1!!!

So my question is, has anything ever reminded you of a specific scene in an adventure game? Any other movie/game, maybe a real life experience?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:15 AM   #2
Easily amused

On hot, sunny days in the summer, sometimes when I'm outside all I can hear is the drone of insects and then a chickadee pipes up. That takes me right back to the big island in Riven. It's amazing that a computer game can give you an environmental experience that's a good as a real life memory; a testimony to the immersiveness of that game for me.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #3
The name says it all!

When I play drinking games sometimes, I am reminded of Leisure Suit Larry, Magna Cum Laude :-).
Old 04-18-2007, 05:03 AM   #4
Ronin

When I get trapped in a really boring, tedious conversation with a coworker, I often have flashbacks to The Longest Journey.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:52 AM   #5
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Has anyone here read Douglas Adams' sequel to Dirk Gently, The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul? Writing adventures must have gone to his head, because many scenes in it are exactly like his bizarre inventory puzzles. To be fair, though, it's not quite as annoying when you're just reading about someone else solving them instead of having to do it yourself.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
The Quiet One

When i sit in my living room and hear the birds whistling i always think of Broken Sword (outside on the streets) or Simon the Sorcerer (in the forest).

Also if i ever see a pub in a small village in the countryside i think of McDevit's Bar from Broken Sword in Lochmarne.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #7
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm View Post
When I get trapped in a really boring, tedious conversation with a coworker, I often have flashbacks to The Longest Journey.
You always make me laugh Crapstorm. Really!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
tsa
Playing character

When I see a big oak tree I always have to think about Kadish, a world in Uru / Myst Online. I often think of Myst. I was on Crete once, in a resort that looked very Myst-like.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails View Post
Just reading up on Silicon Knight's upcoming 360 sci-fi game "Too Human" when I saw this image:

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/7...g_4473110.html

You can obviously tell exactly what my first thought was:

Spoiler:
Monkey Island 1!!!

So my question is, has anything ever reminded you of a specific scene in an adventure game? Any other movie/game, maybe a real life experience?
For some reason that link leads to a ad banner.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #10
King Silly

This might come off weird, but all kinds of offices reminds me of adventure games in general. Same goes when I hear of templars and whatnot.

Also Pirates of Caribean movies and their music instantly brought back memories of Monkey Islands.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
For some reason that link leads to a ad banner.
Press "continue".
Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
Super Moderator

There is no "continue". I have the same problem as Dasilva.

EDIT: Weird, if I go back to the Too Human gallery, then open one of the images, and THEN go to the linked image, that works.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #13

When I was reading The Da Vinci Code, I was also playing Broken Sword III at the same time. I kept on thinking of Robert and Sophie as George and Nico. I even used their voices from the game in my head as I was reading. That was kind of fun.

Also when I was in St. Thomas on vacation a few years back, I kept thinking of Monkey Island and I was wondering if the steel drummers would have known how to play the theme.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Has anyone here read Douglas Adams' sequel to Dirk Gently, The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul? Writing adventures must have gone to his head, because many scenes in it are exactly like his bizarre inventory puzzles. To be fair, though, it's not quite as annoying when you're just reading about someone else solving them instead of having to do it yourself.
I LOVE Dirk Gently, but I do agree that many of the things he does seems like inventory puzzles..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 04-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #15
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet View Post
On hot, sunny days in the summer, sometimes when I'm outside all I can hear is the drone of insects and then a chickadee pipes up. That takes me right back to the big island in Riven. It's amazing that a computer game can give you an environmental experience that's a good as a real life memory; a testimony to the immersiveness of that game for me.
I was basically going to say the same thing when I read this topic title. Everytime I see absolutely amazing scenery I think about Riven and how amazing it's scenery was. I'm still searching for a game with a similar experience.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #16

I'll second the similarities between Monkey Island and Pirates of the Caribbean. The second I saw Tia Dalma on Pirates, I immediately thought of Monkey Island. Not to mention that Davy Jones DOES bear an eerie resemblance to a certain evil, zombie pirate named LeChuck, does he not?
Old 04-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #17
tsa
Playing character

Am I the only one who didn't like Monkey Island?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:45 PM   #18

Yes.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:23 AM   #19
The name says it all!

A more interesting question would be, why would anyone not like Monkey Island? I can understand if it's not your favourite game but anyway that's not what this thread is about.

I guess POTC is pretty similar to Monkey Island but then so is every other pirate story that has ever been written, it's pretty standard, having said that though I love everything that has to do with pirates!

Oh and on a completely different but yet oddly similar subject, ofcourse The DaVinci Code reminded me a lot of Broken Sword 3.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:05 AM   #20
The name says it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
erm --

As a Dane, I'm very tired of Norse mythoology apparantly being re-interpreted (again) to make a killing/action game with a 'false' God, named Baldur, who wasn't a warrior god, but a god of peace, joy and forgiveness.

And who never who have, in (real) Norse mythologu lifted a weapon himself.
And I'm sure that if the writings of the EDDAs had written their Norse Sagas today, that they (combined) would have launched a law-suit against Silicion
Knight's use of their (protected) copyrighted, trademarked and IP work!

Sorry, but I'm very tired of how anyone in both Canada and the US apparently sees fit to change Norse (and Greek) mythology to ther liking
so it fit their best interest. [as a sidenote, I once loved to watch Hercules
on tv, but don't anymore, since apparently only Zeus (Jupiter) is a good god, while Aries (Mars) is an 'evil' god. I can't stand to watch this (anymore), since I know that the ancient Greeks didn't see it this way, but some writers in US apparently does.

I guess it would people in the US would feel the same if Europeans started to rewrite and re-interpret the myths about the cowboys?

And it might have been that they have read the stories, but apparently they haven't understand the Norse mythology (that well)...
Okay I am very confused now, what does that have to do with anything?? I am not sure you have posted in the right thread, this was supposed to be about things that reminded you of an adventure game!