You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Anything remind you of Adventure Games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #21
Ronin

The reason why I enjoyed the game SPQR so much is because of its authentic representation of life and religion in ancient Rome. Two PhDs in history and archeology actually consulted on the game. Of course, you won't find a single good review of the game, because historical accuracy is not what most gamers appreciate. In fact, many are turned off by what they term "edutainment" -- games that might make you learn actual facts.

I am equally annoyed as you, Aries, by the ignorance of game developers who represent pagan deities as cut-and-dried forces of either good or evil. If they are not willing to do a little homework and learn about the classical history behind these religions, they should just leave them alone and make up totally new gods.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #22

erm ---

I can understand why you're confused. I just had trouble finding my own post . Anyway, the point I was trying to make was a comment about the game 'too human' and its (imo) (mis)use of Norse mythology.

Anyway: Back to to the topic at hand.

Last year I were unfortunate to kind of push my books and a file (in sort of filebinder) that I use in class down behind the radiator. I tried getting the filebinder up with a string, but to no avail Seems I was getting the short end of the --- string

I soon realised, however, that I had to get help. Luckily, there was a janitor on duty, doing some work in another classroom. And I told him about my problem. A little while later, mabye 2 hours later, he came back. And I laughed a little inside when I realized that the he actually had a grapple hook on stick. And true enough --- 5-10 minutes later, I was rejoined with my filebinder.

And there was my rejoicing

The students I taught at the time thought it was amusing, too

I just thought to myself; 'now this will be great for a puzzle in an adventure game'.

Last edited by aries323; 04-19-2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added content
Old 04-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #23
eXo

ya, but in an adventure game you would have to get the hook part of the grapple from the inside of a dead fishes mouth which was swimming in a piranha infested tank which you had to use benedryll coated fish food to lull to sleep while you grabbed the conspicuously shiny fish (the one the game points out to you every time you click on anything in the room).

Then, with the fish in hand you'd have to create a makeshift knife using raw metal found behind a toilet and a file which was in a confusely complicated locker (probably with a combination related to constellations and aztec dates).

Using the knife you would then be able to liberate the hook from the fish.

Now you just need a string to attach it too....

No such thing as a janitor walking in with the exact item you need in any respectable avdenture game
Old 04-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #24

No, I know, I know...

But think of the possibilities. You could phone the management, and then they would mail a set of directions as where to get the grapple hook. Only it was locked away in a very desolate (forgotten & lonely) place, in a trunk in the attic or in the basement. And to open the basement door you'll need a key which you would to need in fish tank someplace. And then to open the trunk you would need to need a map of the zodiac and insert the a precise (awkward) constellation of the zodiac (that no-one hasn't really heard off).
And then you would be able to get the grapple hook, using a string found nearby. And then you would be able to get the filebinder
Old 04-20-2007, 12:40 AM   #25
Kung Fu Code Poet

Anything remind meof an Adventure game?

Well... I spotted this toy once that looks like Max:
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ad.php?t=18766

Aaand then I saw a comic book cover with a time traveling Plastic Man, and the title read "Abraham Lincoln Must Die", reminded me of some other game.
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ad.php?t=19390