You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Confession: I never played any Space Quest games. Can I start anywhere?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #41
Third Guy from Andromeda

Oh, and I forgot to mention NORD AND BERT. So...Nord and Bert!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #42
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails View Post
Man, Hitchhiker's Guide had some great parser puzzles... And some frustrating puzzles too! Who knew you needed all the lint...?
Spoiler:
Everyone who looked up "lint" in the Guide early enough.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:34 AM   #43
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention NORD AND BERT. So...Nord and Bert!
I went for Trilby's Notes as an example because it's probably fairly accessible for anyone used to point and clickers. No denying that a lot of the classics (I have the Infocom collection) were marvellous.

But Nord and Bert? That took trying to guess the words needed to a whole new level. Every section of the game was tied to a particular area of English (Proverbs, Spoonerisms, etc) so you need incredible English language knowledge (or no qualms about regularly hitting the hint system) to do practically anything. Undeniably one that couldn't be done as a point and click though.

I looked up Time Rippers. It's Space Quest 4. Since it's the only I've got is it OK to play on its own?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-03-2007, 09:08 AM   #44

Play 4 and be done with it. JK. But seriously, don't play The Spinal Frontier. It is rubbish in my opinion. Not funny, awkward, and just plain dull.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 AM   #45
QFG

I agree about number six... very awkward, funny only in brief moments, and quite dull.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #46
Dread Pirate

Quote:
I haven't played any SQ's either, but judging from the answers I would guess not. I'm guessing it's sort of like the LSL series, they share some common traits but as far as the story goes it's not necessary to play them in order, or play all of them for all that matters.
I completely disagree. They're meant to be played from # 1 to # 6, and there is a progression of the story and characters through the series. Things you do in SQ1 are reflected in the story for SQ2. The end of SQ2 leads directly into the beginning of SQ3. In SQ4, you're traveling through time and there's loads of references to SQ past and future.

This is a great series, and sure, the games are a little dated, but not in a bad way. Great design, lots of laughs. You can't go wrong with 'em.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #47
Dread Pirate

Quote:
I agree with the above comments that SQ1 and 2 aren't that interesting because of the text parser or the many deaths but you can complete the games in less than 90 minutes so it would be a waste not to play them!
Certainly not without using a complete walkthrough to do it, and what fun is that?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #48
Retired Buccaneer

Space Quest II is a game that makes babies cry. Seriously, even if you know exactly what to do it can be hell (future game designers: please not to be including mazes with curved passages 2 pixels wide where touching the walls means instant death, kthx). And critical objects are found in locations you often don't even know about because the entrances and exits to them are almost invisible. Plus the greatest strength of SQ, satirizing other science-fiction franchises, is rendered moot because Roger spends most of the game in a desolate jungle!

All in all, anyone who thinks Sq6 is the worst in the series probably hasn't played this one in a while.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #49

I kinda like SQ2

Until I encounter that horrible glitch at the end that crashes the game, and I can't finish it...
Old 06-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #50
QFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
Space Quest II is a game that makes babies cry. Seriously, even if you know exactly what to do it can be hell (future game designers: please not to be including mazes with curved passages 2 pixels wide where touching the walls means instant death, kthx). And critical objects are found in locations you often don't even know about because the entrances and exits to them are almost invisible. Plus the greatest strength of SQ, satirizing other science-fiction franchises, is rendered moot because Roger spends most of the game in a desolate jungle!

All in all, anyone who thinks Sq6 is the worst in the series probably hasn't played this one in a while.
It's true that SQ2 is fairly awful with the lengthy jungle sequence...

the part about

Spoiler:

holding your breath and all

was simply ridiculous. But it did pick up quite a bit in the second half. Let's say that 2 and 6 are roughly on a par.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:11 AM   #51

Funny, I didn't even know that in SQ2 you could
Spoiler:
Use the jocks to fling a rock at the guard on the tower, I ended up just tediously sneaking past him.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:46 AM   #52
Dread Pirate

Somebody needs to give SQ2 some love around here, so it might as well be me. I guess I'm alone in saying this is probably my favorite in the whole series. I loved the forest planet stuff -- reminded me of Endor, actually. And the maze wasn't that hard. Some innovative puzzles, and let's compare apples to apples here: It was light years ahead of its compatriot, KQ2, in terms of sophistication in story and puzzle design. Oh, and let's not forget: It has an absolutely hilarious premise!

Maybe SQ2 will get its due once the VGA remake arrives?
http://www.infamous-adventures.com/index.php?page=sq2
Old 06-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #53
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Space Quest 2 is the most consistant of all the Space Quests'.

I personally like Space Quest 4 & 5 the most only because they have more sentimental value than all the others, and I think SQ4&5 have very sharp humour.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 06-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter11studios View Post
Somebody needs to give SQ2 some love around here, so it might as well be me. I guess I'm alone in saying this is probably my favorite in the whole series. I loved the forest planet stuff -- reminded me of Endor, actually. And the maze wasn't that hard. Some innovative puzzles, and let's compare apples to apples here: It was light years ahead of its compatriot, KQ2, in terms of sophistication in story and puzzle design. Oh, and let's not forget: It has an absolutely hilarious premise!

Maybe SQ2 will get its due once the VGA remake arrives?
http://www.infamous-adventures.com/index.php?page=sq2
I love it too, don't worry. It's, in my opinion, the most "Space Quest-y" of all the games. The perfect blend of sci-fi action and absurdness.