You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Hi, new here and need some recommendations. :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
King Silly

Default Hi, new here and need some recommendations. :)

Hello everyone, first of all I thought I'd introduce myself. I hail from Finland, I'm 27 years old male, still a student but not much longer. I've sometimes lurked this forum, it looks very nice, people seem smart and funny. Nice to meet you all.

Getting to where I need help slowly. I got into adventure genre on 5th grade, when I played Indiana Jones and The LAst Crusade. Eventhough I didn't speak much of English at the age of 11, I somehow managed to complete the game somehow by translating help from my parents and big brother. At 7th grade I moved on to Monkey Islands ( 1 and 2), Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis and so on, so on...it was the golden times for Adventuregamers when Lucasarts were still on large on genre. Today I feel like I've completed almost every game worth playing in genre, that's where I need your help because I really need something for my point and click adventure seizures lol. I know there must be lots of great titles that I have missed.

I'll just try to make a list of all games I've completed. I'll probably miss some but oh well.

Monkey Islands --- all completed and loved them
Gabriel Knights --- all completed and loved especially GK3
Indiana Jones --- both completed
Discworlds --- all completed including "noir"
Grim Fandango -- completed, loved it.
Broken Swords -- all completed. Broken Sword 1: Shadows of the Templars is one of my all time favourites in genre.
Sam and Max Hit The road -- completed
Sam and Max Episodes 1-4 -- completed
Runaway Road Adventures --- both completed
Sherlock Holmes "The awakened" -- I haven't completed this one yet, but because I lack motivation on it. It's very overrated game in my opinion.
Loom - Completed
Beneath a steel sky - completed
Full Throttle -- completed
Syberias -- both completed
The Longest Journey and Dreamfall -- both completed
Ark of Time -- completed, eventhough the game sucked.
Maniac mansion and Day of the Tentacle -- both completed, DOT rocked and had very clever puzzles!
Post Mortem -- completed

I know this list doesn't include likes of King's quests, Simon the Sorcerers and Leisure Suit Larrys. I just never really got into them. I should probably give Simon the Sorcerer's another shot as I didn't really even try.

Anyway, based on all this, could anyone recommend a game for me? I haven't really been sharp on gaming world news past years and I really don't know if some good titles would've slipped past my radars.

Thank you.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Thats the ticket

Hard to recommend a game since you've played and completed some of the best games so its all downhill from here....

Try Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy). I really enjoyed that one although you get mixed feeling here.

Since you're a big fan of DOTT, you should give Psychonauts a go because it was also the brainchild of Tim Schafer but its a platform game so it may be your cup of tea but I highly recommend it.

BTW welcome to the forum and yes I am only replying to you because Kimi Raikkonen is my favourite F1 driver

PS I also agree with you that BS4 : Angel of Death sucked the donkeys arse.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Harbinger of doom

Try "The Moment of Silence". The gameplay isnt so good, but the game has an interesting plot and is definately worth a try. I also recommend you try Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) and check out this game (http://www.baphometsfluch25.de/) if you havent seen it yet.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:22 AM   #4
King Silly

Thanks guys. I yesterday ordered Moment of Silence( Looks very promising and I'm excited about it, seems my kind of game) and Scratches ( saw add on forums).

I have actually completed Fahrenheit which was good. Well, the start was very good. It started remind me of Matrix more and more towards the end... and I just didn't really see it as traditional adventure.

Quote:
PS I also agree with you that BS4 : Angel of Death sucked the donkeys arse.
Hey now, I never said that! I liked the game actually, just the ending really ruined the whole build up. There better be BS5, there's no way this great Broken Sword series should be finished on crappy ending like that.

Last edited by MikaelS; 04-09-2007 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:34 AM   #5
Your average crooner

Moment of Silence and Still Life, for example.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:59 AM   #6
Senior *female* member

I don't see The Dig (LucasArts) on your list? And of course you should play Toonstruck, everybody should.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:00 AM   #7
King Silly

Wow, I had never even heard of Still Life untill you mentioned it. I went to check out some reviews and this game looks very good. Definatly going to get it. Thank you.

edit: no, I haven't played The Dig. just haven't found it. I'll look up on Toonstruck.

Thank you all, I knew I came into right place.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:28 AM   #8
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
edit: no, I haven't played The Dig. just haven't found it. I'll look up on Toonstruck.
Towerpower, I have an extra copy of The Dig. In excellent condition. Part of the Entertainment Pack, a European rerelease in DVD-style cases, and XP compatible. If you're interested, send me a PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:59 AM   #9
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Hey Tower of Power, nice selection of Adventure games you've played their; I'm afraid as others have said you have played most of the great adventures already. It may soon be time to start looking for the rare greats that are often overlooked due to poor availability; there are some truely great games that are becoming undeservedly rare.

First I'd recommend The Last Express to everyone; it's a truly great game but unfortunately increasingly difficult to come across legally. It is available on ebay at the moment but at the price offered ($20) it's most likely a copy/not original discs.

Also look out for Blade Runner; I personally think it's a great adventure. Another scifi themed game worth playing is The X-Files Game; it's one of the few TV/Movie games made that can actually stand on it's own feet as a worthwhile game. (It just occurs to me that X-files has been off tv for 5 years now! Time really flies; I suddenly feel really old! )

The Tex Murphy games ( Mean Streets (1989), Martian Memorandum (1991), Under a Killing Moon (1994), The Pandora Directive (1996), and Overseer (1998)) are all superb. The first two are very old and very hard to come across, while the other 3 are hard to find but not impossible.

Other games that I haven't played yet (despite me owning them; bad dom!!) but have been told are well worth playing are Spycraft and Black Dahlia.

I know all these games are hard to come by, but so are some of the games you've played already so it may be worth the hunt. Hope this helps, even just a little.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 04-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
King Silly

It sure helps, anything helps in this situation.

For now I have already ordered Still Life, Moment of Silence and Scracthes so they'll be aid for my seizures for couple of weeks and I'm very excited about them already; especially the first two. It's easter holiday here in Finland, so they'll be likely to be delivered to me by thursday or friday at the latest.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #11

I'd like to recomend the Nick Bounty games from www.pinheadgames.com
Yes, they are my own games so I am biased, but I do think you'll like them. They are created in the clasic Lucas Arts style, are humorous, and best of all FREE! Please give em a shot! And let me know what you thought!

And look, here are some reviews to prove the games dont suck:

AdventureGamers Review
Just Adventure Review
Game Boomers Review
Old 04-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
King Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarphil View Post
I'd like to recomend the Nick Bounty games from www.pinheadgames.com
Yes, they are my own games so I am biased, but I do think you'll like them. They are created in the clasic Lucas Arts style, are humorous, and best of all FREE! Please give em a shot! And let me know what you thought!

And look, here are some reviews to prove the games dont suck:

AdventureGamers Review
Just Adventure Review
Game Boomers Review

Ah yes, I have played Case of the Crabs! I liked it a lot and I didn't know there's more of those. You're behind these games? wow, good job I'd tip my hat to you if I had one. I'll try those other ones
Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #13

Since you've played most of the Lucas Arts and Sierra games, why not try games by the third (even second, in my opinion, because I'm not such of fan of Sierra) best company?
I suggest Death Gate, Cahallan's Crosstime Sallon, Shannara, and Mission Critical, all Legend Entertainement games, all of them great.

Also, you didn't mention Space Quest (the only Sierra series I like, Gabriel Knight excluded).

And what about Myst games? Zork Nemesis, Obsidian and Myst 4 have very strong story lines, compared to the original Myst, and are all excellent games.

For different gameplay, you can try In Memoriam or Omikron (the Nomad Soul), or, to go sligthly away from adventure games, Beyond Good and Evil or Anachronox.

Kyrandia 2 (Hand of Fate) and Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2 are also among my favorite.

Oh, and among the ones already cited, I second the Last Express, the Dig, Toonstruck, Spycraft, and Still Life.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #14

hmmm -- let's see.

There's Barrow Hill, Nibiru, Keepsake, Secret Files: Tunguska, Lighthouse, Scratches, the Agatha Christie games, Amerzone, (also by Sokal), Paradise,
and just to support some of your swedish neighbours, go to http://www.mdna-games and buy all three Carol Reed games.

If you like older games, try getting hold of the King's Quest compilation; if you can't do this try getting a hold of King's Quest 4 as this should have one of the greatest ever, in an adventure game. Space Quest 5 or 6 is also good.
Also, you might enjoy the Legend of Kyrandia series or the previous games from Revolution software at http://www. revolution.co.uk (revolution being the ones that made the broken sword series).

If you like a bit of horror (or a lot ), try Shivers and Shivers 2, or Phantasmagoria. A much nicer games is Torin's Passage, however, when I played it, I couldn't finish it due to a bug of some sorts .

There's also Delaware St.John, Secrets of Da Vinci, Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened and the Nancy Drew games.

And

I'm playing Beyond Good & Evil right now. And it sure is a fine little game .

aries323
Old 04-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #15
King Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth View Post
Since you've played most of the Lucas Arts and Sierra games, why not try games by the third (even second, in my opinion, because I'm not such of fan of Sierra) best company?
I suggest Death Gate, Cahallan's Crosstime Sallon, Shannara, and Mission Critical, all Legend Entertainement games, all of them great.
I neither am fan of Sierra's games, with the exception of Gabriel Knights wwhich are my favourites.

I have NEVER heard of those games you just mention, nor have I heard of the company... shame on me. More stuff to research I guess

Quote:

And what about Myst games? Zork Nemesis, Obsidian and Myst 4 have very strong story lines, compared to the original Myst, and are all excellent games.
I don't know, eventhough Myst games would deserve to be given a shot, something about them kinda drives me off. I have never even touched Myst series. Maybe it's all that 1st person view and what I hear of lack of interaction with other characters. They appear a bit boring to me, eventhough I really shouldn't judge without even trying.

Quote:

Kyrandia 2 (Hand of Fate) and Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2 are also among my favorite.

Oh, and among the ones already cited, I second the Last Express, the Dig, Toonstruck, Spycraft, and Still Life.
Simon the Sorcerers I'll probably give a go. Many many years ago I started the first one, but I can't remember why I had to stop and never returned to it ever since. Maybe it's because I started play some other game and kinda forogt about it. I've heard LAst Express is good, gotta check that out too one day. Still Life I ordered already and it really looks promising, the kind of game I will like a lot. Never heard of spycraft either.

EDIT: Thanks for contributing Aries, I will check out those Swedes site. As for The Awakened, I don't like it very much. in my opinion game had potential, but too many things about it that I don't like.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #16

Quote:
I have NEVER heard of those games you just mention, nor have I heard of the company... shame on me. More stuff to research I guess
Please do so. The Legend games aren't well-known at all, but they are among the very best. I especially recommend Death Gate and Cahallan's Crosstime Saloon (note that CSC requires a very good level in english -> many puns, american references, etc.).

Quote:
I don't know, eventhough Myst games would deserve to be given a shot, something about them kinda drives me off. I have never even touched Myst series. Maybe it's all that 1st person view and what I hear of lack of interaction with other characters. They appear a bit boring to me, eventhough I really shouldn't judge without even trying.
I had a huge prejudice against Myst, until I played Zork Nemesis and, a few years later, Exile. Now I'm as much a fan of Myst games as I am of classic adventure games.
Note that some of them are indeed really boring (Rhem, Riddle of the Sphinx...), or just too hard (Schizm) but others are really worth it. If you want to have a go at them, I suggest Myst 3, Myst 4, or Zork Nemesis (the best of them, but it's quite old).
Old 04-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #17
Your average crooner

Ninth, pure curiosity, did you manage to enjoy somehow Riven? I think this is one of those games that I have given too many chances...
Old 04-10-2007, 05:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson View Post
Ninth, pure curiosity, did you manage to enjoy somehow Riven? I think this is one of those games that I have given too many chances...
I loved Riven. The puzzle structure is really great in that one, the puzzles themselves are tough but fair and extremely satisfying, and it's beautiful enough that the loneliness does't turn into boredom (it didn't for me, anyway). Note that, as is the case with many Myst clones/games, I played it with a friend, which helped funnel away the occasional frustration.

I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie, though. Exile is in my opinion a much better entry point into the Myst universe.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:57 AM   #19
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Hey! You guys forgot to mention Sanitarium! Great game with a good and truly disturbing story. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, also a very worthy addition to the games already mentioned.

I would also try to complete the Sierra classics: King's Quest 6 & 7, Space Quest 4 &5, Leisure Suit Larry 7. You might even want to try Shivers I & II or one of the Phantasmagoria games.

I am a big Sierra fan but if you are going to play 3 games from all the games mentioned above go for: Sanitarium, Toonstruck and one of the Tex Murphy games!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #20
King Silly

Canceled my order for Still Life, because I found a copy at store today for just 15€. I'll head to gym now and after that I start playing it!