You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Anyone ever use "The Sierra Network" or the "ImagiNation Network"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #1

Default Anyone ever use "The Sierra Network" or the "ImagiNation Network"?

First time poster, long time observer...

I did a search and nothing came back so I'm wondering if anyone on this forum had the chance to use either The Sierra Network (TSN) or the ImagiNation Network during it's prime? wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImagiNation_Network

I totally wanted this when I was a kid, but there was no way I could convince my parents to dish out a monthly fee to play video games, plus we were in canada so I don't think the service was available to us. Instead, we got "compuserve"

According to that wikipedia link there was an emulation project or two in the works but they seem to have stopped. You can still check out a beta version of the emulation here however: http://web.archive.org/web/200605181...ds/fauxinn.swf

Would be sweet if this came out some day.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:05 AM   #2
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I always wanted to try it but I was way too young. It seemed like a lot of fun. I hope they do manage to do an emulation for it, that'd bring back a lot of cool memories.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
prodigal gamer, returned

I remember using the Sierra Network for a trial period. It was fun and colorful, but my parents weren't about to pay for a subscription.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #4

I did. I joined about 6-8 months before AT&T bought it and changed the name to ImagiNation Network. It was a blast! I made a bunch of friends there and actually met a number of them "live and in person". To this day, I'm still friends with some of them.

I actually became a Sysop ("Hosts" in the wiki article) and ran tournaments. I was there when the "lights were turned off" and we moved to AOL I was one of the WorldPlay hosts until EA bouught it and treated everyone like trash. I left - scorching the earth behind me - just before WorldPlay got rolled into Pogo.com and disappeared forever.

Some of us still miss it.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by toger View Post
I did. I joined about 6-8 months before AT&T bought it and changed the name to ImagiNation Network. It was a blast! I made a bunch of friends there and actually met a number of them "live and in person". To this day, I'm still friends with some of them.

I actually became a Sysop ("Hosts" in the wiki article) and ran tournaments. I was there when the "lights were turned off" and we moved to AOL I was one of the WorldPlay hosts until EA bouught it and treated everyone like trash. I left - scorching the earth behind me - just before WorldPlay got rolled into Pogo.com and disappeared forever.

Some of us still miss it.
Thats it then, I'm cancelleing my pogo.com membership....... after 1 more game of Payday Freecell of course
Old 04-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

dangling participle... I have to say, your username made my day.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #7

I spent my early teen years totally burning a hole in my parents credit card with TSN and INN. I upset many relatives by clogging up the phone line. I don't know if an online society like that would still work today, seeing how the internet can get really dirty, really fast.

But man, it was great when it lasted.

Greatly interested in it being emulated. I'd love to see it done. Hell, I'd be happy just to get my hands on the MIDI files that were played on the main map.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Because it's a King's Quest reference, or just because it's quirky?

I have no memory of the Sierra Network, which is weird, because I remember pretty much everything else Sierra related. We had Prodigy and CompuServe at various points during my childhood. I remember my dad logging into Prodigy to help me find hints for Sierra games.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
eXo

all my boxed sierra games still have adverts for the sierra network.

It's sorta funny reading through them and seeing how it was advertised.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #10

I do believe the Imagination Network was my first online experience.

I was pretty young then... I remember throwing temper tantrums in the chat rooms because people weren't talking to me, and I was too shy to assert myself and getting into a name-calling insult war with some other kid (which I lost), among other things.

The games were fun. I liked Shadows of Yserbius and the like. I played as a Wizard with some cheezey name that I was really proud of, and my friend went under the name "Coolio." Loved it.

I remember being really proud to have made some Red Baron clan, but I must have been the single worst Red Baron player online, so when people would ask me to test them out to see if they had what it took to join my clan, they'd always slaughter me. I'll never know just how I got in in the first place.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #11
QFG

Yes, I had The Sierra Network for about six months or so; I played Shadow of Yserbius absolutely constantly, for hours. My dad must've been worried about me...

I even bought the standalone version of Shadow of Yserbius / Fate of Twinion for the sentimental value... it suffered greatly. I miss that place...
Old 04-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Thanks Squinky,

I very recently re-finished King's Quest 6 again, so it seemed fitting. Can't believe it wasn't taken in here
Old 04-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #13

Found a bunch of videos on youtube for it, there's even a super cheeseball commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
Old 04-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFG View Post
Yes, I had The Sierra Network for about six months or so; I played Shadow of Yserbius absolutely constantly, for hours. My dad must've been worried about me...

I even bought the standalone version of Shadow of Yserbius / Fate of Twinion for the sentimental value... it suffered greatly. I miss that place...
I was totally hooked on Yserbius for weeks. I travelled with a couple of guys in Maryland and on weekends we'd play until 3am pacific time. I miss "pit jumping". Fates of Twinion wasn't nearly as much fun.

Last edited by toger; 04-09-2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: because I can't speil
Old 04-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #15
QFG

Ahhh... "pit jumping"... brings back memories.

I remember completing some quests and wondering "how in HELL did ANYONE figure this stuff out???"

Favorites: flex sword, four seasons.

I never did beat it, online or solo. Amazingly, I actually made it a little farther going solo. Less social aspects to distract me, I guess.

I even joined the Yserbius Online website in the hopes it would be resurrected... but so far, no dice.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #16

I finished Yserbius twice - the first time I joined up with a couple of guys who were taking newbies through just for the heck of it; the second time was with my regular group (they weren't really happy that I'd completed it without them). It was a huge accomplishment for us! I think I still have the maps for the last few levels (since I was a ranger, I was the offical map-maker for our trio of travellers. Someone had to keep track of all the pits and where (or if) they went).

If I'm not mistaken, we finished Fates as well, but it wasn't nearly as satisfying as Yserbius.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #17
QFG

I almost always played as knights. I once tried a wizard, and enjoyed that a lot but had to travel with a lot of melee types or I would get slaughtered pretty quickly. But those death darts, man... quite effective.

All the old stories are coming back to me... the uselessness of "blast" ... the incredible utility of "resurrect" ... trying to find each and every skill trainer...

Most useful key: Thieves Key!

Man, now I REALLY want to play...
Old 04-15-2007, 06:01 AM   #18

the thing that i really miss from INN is the game Boogers... also its nice to see the wiki artiacal grow so much.

also from the fauxinn site on wayback you can still use the flash version of the face maker.
http://web.archive.org/web/20060518101128/www.fauxinn.com/downloads/fauxinn.swf
Old 04-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #19

i just was able to log onto INN with dosbox

http://innrevival.googlepages.com/home

it is great. this is a project that we need to support.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffd View Post
i just was able to log onto INN with dosbox

http://innrevival.googlepages.com/home

it is great. this is a project that we need to support.
That's AWESOME!

I can't wait to try this when I get home from work...