You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Which ag games would make good movies?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 01:49 AM   #1
The name says it all!

Default Which ag games would make good movies?

Personally I could really see Broken Sword being a good movie, the first one especially, well actually only the first one even though I did enjoy the other three too. And who would be better to play George than Aaron Eckhart, he looks so much like George Stobbart that it's allmost scary and kind of sounds like him too (at least in the new games).
Old 04-02-2007, 02:36 AM   #2
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I'd rather see them do a good adventure game story in the first place than have the adventure writers do bad games and expect it to be fixed up for Hollywood.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:43 AM   #3
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

I think the Space Quest and Larry games would make good movies. Lots of humor, quirky characters, interesting setting and not too much of a story

Also, I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream and The Dreamweb could be transfered onto the big screen...

Although I would love to see a movie based on Broken Sword, GK or Monkey Island, I think the stories are to complex and detailed. They'd probably have to cut too much from the games...
Old 04-02-2007, 05:59 AM   #4

Riven. I think there was discussion about this, actually. But I don't know what ever came of it?

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 04-02-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
kamikaze hummingbirds

adventure games are just movies anyway just with added puzzles and interactivity.
so what would be the point?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
adventure games are just movies anyway just with added puzzles and interactivity.
so what would be the point?

And some of them are even without those puzzles and interactivity

Running Slackware Linux
Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
Ronin

Exactly.

Maybe someone can make a movie called "Pixel Hunters". It can star Keanu Reeves as a writer of walkthroughs who leads a team of elite adventure gamers who try to be the first to solve every new game that comes out. A mysterious new game called "Realms of Mystery" by an obscure Slovakian developer comes to market. Keanu discovers a hidden hotspot that was never meant to be found. When he clicks on it, it rips open a fissure in the space-time continuum and he finds himself inside the computer armed with nothing but a ball of string, a ladder, a rubber duck and a hot glue gun. He encounters strange people, who say the same things over and over again, and he finds that he can only respond to them using a finite set of sentences that float mysteriously over his head.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
say yes when nobody asked

I still think the Tex Murphy games and the Gabriel Knight games would make great movies. And ofcourse something from the Myst/Uru universe.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Psychonaut

Monkey Island.

I see a young English actor playing Guybrush, A size zero waif playing the love interst and a madcap pirate with an odd accent like he's drunk.

Probably have a couple of sequels.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
Homer of Kittens

Grim Fandango has a wonderful story with great characters. Tim Burton can take the helm of the movie translation.

Firefox rules
Old 04-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
I'd rather see them do a good adventure game story in the first place than have the adventure writers do bad games and expect it to be fixed up for Hollywood.
Exactly.

Plus, even if an adventure game did have a good story to begin with, I highly doubt that the movie would be as good. There would definitely be something lost in the translation between mediums. Kind of like how certain books seem to have a lot more depth than the movies based on them...
Old 04-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
Roman5

Zork Grand Inquistor or even Nemesis might make for a good movie experience. Possibly Still Life.
And I was also gonna suggest monkey island but Lucien beat me to it.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #13

If done right, I think The Longest Journey would make a great movie.

Quote:
Maybe someone can make a movie called "Pixel Hunters". It can star Keanu Reeves as a writer of walkthroughs who leads a team of elite adventure gamers who try to be the first to solve every new game that comes out. A mysterious new game called "Realms of Mystery" by an obscure Slovakian developer comes to market. Keanu discovers a hidden hotspot that was never meant to be found. When he clicks on it, it rips open a fissure in the space-time continuum and he finds himself inside the computer armed with nothing but a ball of string, a ladder, a rubber duck and a hot glue gun. He encounters strange people, who say the same things over and over again, and he finds that he can only respond to them using a finite set of sentences that float mysteriously over his head.
I would probably pay to see that movie.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #14

actually, I don't want them to make a movie based on any game. All the movies based on games I have watched so far, have been screwed up in one way or another. Either I was annoyed because they changed stuff in the movie, that were important to understand the story(in the game), or they decided to add a lot of story that had nothing to do with the game at all. I still haven't seen a movie based on a game, that gave the game the justice it deserves. It seems to me like most of those who want to make movies based on some game are people who really don't have a clue what the essence of that game really was, and just consider it a way to make a cheap buck off the market.

The main problem of a movie is that it can't be too long. If you play a game for let's say 30 hours to finish it, it will need a lot of squeezing to make sure all of the essence of that game fits into a movie with a length of one and a half hour.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #15
Harbinger of doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Monkey Island.

I see a young English actor playing Guybrush, A size zero waif playing the love interst and a madcap pirate with an odd accent like he's drunk.

Probably have a couple of sequels.
Hehe. Yeah, that would be a great movie. Guybrush could be played by Orlando Bloom, Elaine by Keira Knightly and LeChuck by Geoffrey Rush.

But seriously, even though Pirates of the Caribbean is VERY similar to Monkey Island it isnt as funny as a true Monkey Island movie would/should be. I think Monkey Island would be perfect on the big screen. The next game in the series wont be out in another 8 years anyways, so it will give us something to watch in the meantime. I have the perfect actor for Stan: Bruce Campbell (http://imdb.com/name/nm0132257/)
Old 04-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #16

Darkseed would make a good horror movie.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #17

I'd like to see Dreamfall made into a movie - it's got some romance, action, intrigue, interesting characters - I'd pay to see it in the theaters (as long as the casting is done right)
Old 04-03-2007, 03:07 AM   #18
Passion Adventurist

Send a message via MSN to Hysteria

Yeah, agreed with all of you. But you forgot Fahrenheit. Action, mystery, murders,... So, Fahrenheit, DEFINATELLY.
Others: TLJ, TLJ 2, Still Life, ...
Old 04-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #19
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Starship Titanic would be a funny movie...the whole concept of having to take control of a starship filled with schizophrenic, dry-witted AI-enhanced androids would be incredibly funny. It could be a real satire of all those "one hero against the odds" films, like Die Hard and Under Siege. And I'd love to see a movie based on Grim Fandango, that would be wild!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:03 AM   #20

Hm...I think that quite a few adventure games could be quite good cartoon/cgi animation movies. The transition between those two types of media should not be too difficult. But to make a traditional movie...that is another story. The Longest Journey and Dreamfall should do well: Interesting characters and plot, and the main characters develop as the story progresses. Also interesting characters in minor/lesser roles.

Also Gabriel Knight and Syberia could be great stories to take to the silver screen.