You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Favourite Microprose Adventure Game

View Poll Results: Best Microprose Adventure Game?
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender 4 23.53%
Return of the Phantom 0 0%
Dragonsphere 8 47.06%
Bloodnet 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #1

Default Favourite Microprose Adventure Game

There's hardly ever any discussion about Microprose's adventure games. Personally, I think Rex Nebular and Dragonsphere are as good as anything Sierra ever came up with. It's a shame Microprose close down the Adventure Studio so quickly because of lack of sales.

SO, which one is your favourite Microprose adventure? I'll have to go with Dragonsphere.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
Your average crooner

Dragonsphere. It is beautiful and balanced, isn't it? Phantom has a maze, and Rex Nebular is too dificult for me.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:38 AM   #3

Default Dragonsphere

The only one of the four Microprose games I've played is Dragonsphere. But that game was indeed very nice: Balanced puzzles to solve and an intriguing story with a very surprising plot twist halfway through the game.

Truly a forgotten gem.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:45 AM   #4
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Rex, no doubt.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-03-2007, 06:45 AM   #5

I've only played Return of the Phantom and Dragonsphere.
Both were pretty avarage imo, but Dragonsphere has a pretty neat twist halfway through so I'd have to pick that.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 04-03-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Roman5

I only played Rex, and it was awesome.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

I vote for BloodNet. I love that game despite its many, many flaws.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
Your average crooner

And being more an RPG, I suppose. Bloodnet is a game that... how do you manage to play it? I have it original, with the manuals, and gave it one thousand tries, and still doesn't get what it's good about it.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson View Post
And being more an RPG, I suppose.
I'm a big fan of RPGs, so it being a hybrid doesn't bother me in the least. In any case, the RPG elements in BloodNet are really quite poor and are generally what fuel most people's disdain for the game (like for example the combat, inventory management, lack of interaction in dialogs, lack of meaningful choices and freedom, the numerous dead-ends).

That aside, I was somewhat surprised at it's inclusion in this poll while other Microprose games that might be considered hybrids were not.

Quote:
Bloodnet is a game that... how do you manage to play it?
A PC is a good start. Or an Amiga, depending on what version you have...

That and patience, tolerance, perseverance, unhinged determination and a detailed walkthrough help.

Quote:
I have it original, with the manuals, and gave it one thousand tries, and still doesn't get what it's good about it.
I have it original too, but if you want to get rid of it, throw it my way.

I'm very fond of sci-fi, cyberpunk specifically, and BloodNet has always reminded me to Shadowrun, which I was obsessed with around the time I bought it.

Personal feelings aside, there are many good things to say about BloodNet. The game is very atmospheric for one, it manages to blend together what are generally contrary themes brilliantly, the writing and acting were exceptional, and if memory serves, the puzzles were all fairly logical.

It's not a game to be openly recommended, yet it is the only one from the list which I've played more than once. I can't help but wonder if it had been made as a pure adventure game if it would not be considered a classic today...
Old 04-04-2007, 01:56 AM   #10
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Dragonsphere is a great game. Really original take on the fantasy setting, some of the most innovative puzzles I've ever seen (learning a new language; constructing a poem), memorable characters, and a really imaginative plot twist that came right when you thought the game was over, revealing you actually had a good third left to go. The only problems I had with it were that the main character was a bit underdeveloped for the first two-thirds, and a "one always lies, one always tells the truth" puzzle based around characters with identical sprites who moved around and CHANGED COLOR every few seconds. Other than those things, excellent game. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten an AG review.

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 04-04-2007, 02:21 AM   #11
Thats the ticket

I just want to chime in and say that at a certain point in my life, Rex Nebular was one of my least favourite adventure games of all time. Nothing wrong with the graphics, story or characters but the box art promised boobies and porkies-style shenanigans and the game didn't deliver.

This was during my pre-pubescent pimply geek stage of life and shelling out full price ($$$) for the game during the Leisuresuit Larry days and not getting any satisfaction from it was a total downer.

If I had the game now I think I will probably enjoy it quite a bit.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
Dividing the Digital

I've played all but Phantom (still own Rex and BloodNet, but Dragonsphere was stolen) so i voted for BloodNet. Great story and interesting mix of cyberpunk and vampires. Lots of neat ideas hampered by tough as nails combat heh. But it's the story that drove me to play through it. Not bad voice acting and i'm sure everyone will recognize the same people from Microprose' other games.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:54 PM   #13
Lost monkey

what about Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity? Another great microprose adventure game
Old 04-14-2007, 01:29 AM   #14

Dragonsphere. I really really need to replay it...