You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #21
Super Moderator

The North American release is in February 2008. (that's not super firm though)
Old 12-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #22

Does anyone know what the specs will be for this game?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter View Post
Has anyone actually played this game yet? It's out in France and apparently also in Belgium but i have seen very few reviews so far. I'm wondering if i should pick it up at some point...
It's rather ugly, full of bugs, the graphics engine seriously needs to be optimised, and the last part of the game (including the ending) feels very rushed, but that didn't prevent me from completely falling in love with that game – something that hadn't happened to me in quite a while (since Fahrenheit, maybe?).

It's a great game with a great story, a plot that starts like a sci-fi mystery but builds a tragic story and believable characters whose appeal go far beyond the mere question of finding out what happened. And the gameplay works great too, with lots of little innovative ideas, and two distinct types of challenges (helping Lea progress on the ship, and cracking the team members' passwords to look into their files and learn more of the backstory) that are constantly interwoven.

So if your computer if up to it (or a patch gets released that optimises the graphic engine), you really shouldn't pass that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamegirl View Post
Does anyone know what the specs will be for this game?
The minimum specs are:
Windows Vista/XP - Pentium IV 2 GHz or equivalent - 1 GB RAM - GeForce 6 graphics card or equivalent, 128 MB video memory - DirectX 9.0-compatible soundcard - DVD-Rom drive - 1.5 GB hard drive space

And, until that second patch gets released (supposing it ever does), you really might want to be above that, or some sections might prove slow and annoying (especially a timed sequence near the end).
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 12-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #24

Thanks for the feedback, Kurufinwe. I've got a feeling that this is a game i'd love to play.

However, my pc is just reaching minimum specs (2 1/2 years old). I plan to buy a new pc next year so i will skip the dutch version and wait for an english spoken version sometime next year.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:49 PM   #25
tsa
Playing character

Is there a Dutch version out already?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #26
Chicken with a bite

Dixons had it in their leaflet a week or two ago, but I haven't actually come across it in their shops. They say it's sold out now.
here

FreeRecordShop says releasedate November 5
here
Not actually spotted there, either.

PC Media says tomorrow
here

Bol, dpluss, comcol and proxis don't have it in their catalogue. Can't think of other shops to try at the moment.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:34 AM   #27
tsa
Playing character

Hm, 45 euros eh? I'll wait for the American version and buy it in the JustAdventure shop. Even with taxes and shipping that will probably be cheaper

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-13-2007, 03:47 AM   #28
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Hm, 45 euros eh? I'll wait for the American version and buy it in the JustAdventure shop. Even with taxes and shipping that will probably be cheaper
Oh yes, it will most certainly be much cheaper. I pre-ordered it from InteractCD: $29.95 + $10 shipping = 27 euros.

PS: I've ordered 15 or 16 games from InteractCD (directly, not via JA) since I discovered them a couple of years ago, and it's the best, most reliable online store for games I've ever dealt with. Prompt replies to questions, great service and fast shipping!

Last edited by Fien; 12-13-2007 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #29
Schättenjager

Actually quite intriguing but buggy and a system hog(dont expect to run more than 3 fps with minispecs.),an outstanding adventure experince with execution but good enough to make you buy 8 series nvdia or an equal gpu?

Last edited by Gabe; 12-14-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #30
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
Oh yes, it will most certainly be much cheaper. I pre-ordered it from InteractCD: $29.95 + $10 shipping = 27 euros.

PS: I've ordered 15 or 16 games from InteractCD (directly, not via JA) since I discovered them a couple of years ago, and it's the best, most reliable online store for games I've ever dealt with. Prompt replies to questions, great service and fast shipping!
I have the same experience with them. They are very fast, and a minor error on their part was handled expertly and quickly. They're great, and I will certainly order from them again.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #31
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Actually quite intriguing but buggy and a system hog(dont expect to run more than 3 fps with minispecs.),an outstanding adventure experince with execution but good enough to make you buy 8 series nvdia or an equal gpu?
I guess my new iMac will have a hard time running it then. Why does Apple always put crappy videocards in their systems?
Old 12-24-2007, 07:59 AM   #32

I'm playing Experience112 in French right now. And i must say it's very eccentric with the camera-standpoint thing.

Although it's hard for me to understand the story, since French isn't my native language. The whole concept and storyline is very intriguing and made me very curious.

This game is just suberb
Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #33

Ill second the previous speaker... playing it in english now

Last edited by Forseti; 02-15-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #34

Default The Experiment

I really like this game. Very different. Critics agree too:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure....html?mode=web

Not a perfect game - but it is very different and fun to play. There are many reasons I really like this adventure game. Intertingly - the critics seem to like it for the same reasons - it is different and very well produced. No bugs I can find so far and it plays well.

Anyone like/hate this game?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #35
merely human

An Intriguing Adventure, Too Bad the Heroine Is So Dull and Can’t Spell | The New York Times

This one made me giggle:

Quote:
The writing is often stilted, and the game’s text is riddled with misspellings like “departement” and “pilote” and job descriptions like “responsible of the control room” that suggest the game’s French design team, Lexis Numerique, had the entire game translated by the summer intern.
Anyway...

Quote:
You can excuse many of the flaws by noting that they are true to life; The Experiment works hard to be convincing by having you watch Lea explore the ruined ship and later the Tyriades’ exotic jungle home through awkwardly placed, sometimes broken security cameras.

So realistically, security software would be poorly designed to help a woman escape a research vessel. Things that would annoy me in other games, like Lea’s leisurely amble from place to place, add to the game’s veracity. And for all its rough edges, The Experiment creates a world so vivid and unusual that it held my attention where many slicker games have left me with a been-there-done-that feeling.

The great failing of The Experiment is actually not in its design but in its protagonist. While a security report refers to Lea’s “rich and unique personality,” she is actually inhumanly dull, revealing little emotion and expressing herself in the bland tone of an automated answering system.

This is particularly frustrating because the game’s design makes it an ideal vehicle for a memorable character. A basic dramatic failing of video games is that the player can’t really connect with the game characters. Lea could have been anything — frightened, dashing, vulnerable, caustic — but instead she’s nothing at all. Had The Experiment explored the personality of a woman on a ship of dead comrades whose only company is an unseen camera operator, the game could have created a strong emotional bond with the player.

Ultimately, this is an imaginative game that paradoxically suffers from a failure of imagination. This is a pattern for Lexis Numerique, which has previously combined game design ingenuity with bland characters and poor storytelling in games like Evidence: The Last Ritual.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-28-2008, 03:38 AM   #36

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I'll install this game in a couple of hours, and I'm intrigued!

Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #37

and I'm in the middle of the game and I like it