You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The 'Does this game have Starforce' thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 05:09 AM   #21

I just wondered. What is it(in layman terms) that makes Starforce worse than Safedisc? It seems to me like Safedisc installs a ring 0 device driver as well, so I just wondered what is so especially horrible with Starforce.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:48 AM   #22
Your average crooner

It seems that its dreadful consequences are only suffered in a long time: it overuses the cds and messes the drivers a bit. After all, the fact is that it is annoying, comparing it to whatever.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #23
Hardcore Adventurer

Do the following games have Starforce?

+ Lula 3D
+ Safe Cracker
+ Paradise
+ Murder on the Orient Express
Old 04-19-2007, 02:10 AM   #24
The name says it all!

Why do you want to know all of this if I may ask? if you download the games you usually get a crack file and if you buy them you get the code.

Lula 3D does not use Starforce or correct english grammar making the dialogues feel very confusing, I guess they just translated everything litteraly, from german to english.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:16 AM   #25
Super Moderator

Some people simply do not like having Starforce on their systems.

I don't remember any of those games having Starforce.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 04-19-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:09 AM   #26
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Emmo View Post
Why do you want to know all of this if I may ask?
Because Starforce is an annoying copy protection method, so annoying that sometimes it has affected game sales.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:23 AM   #27
The name says it all!

Wow that's crazy! It just takes two seconds to type in the code and then you never have to worry about it again. I guess if someone let something like that stand in your way, they dont really want the game in the first place.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:45 AM   #28
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

it's not just typing in a code, it's installing a program on your system you haven't asked for (and a new one for every starforce game) that you can't easily remove. There's also many reports of starforce messing up the systems, making programs unworkable, and ruining cd/dvd players..

I'm still not sure what killed mine..

Edit: Oh, and the serial key has nothing to do with Starforce at all. Almost every game you install require you to write in the code said on the box (oh and downloading starforce games doesn't just require a crack). Starforce does a cd-check for about a minute or two every time you start the game, before it lets you continue to the opening screen..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Last edited by Panthera; 04-19-2007 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:21 PM   #29
Hardcore Adventurer

Quote:
Why do you want to know all of this if I may ask? if you download the games you usually get a crack file and if you buy them you get the code.
And now, who in heavens has mentioned that I am asking all this cause I want to download these games?

For your information, I have asked this as I have read that Starforce is one annoying copy protection method that when installed on your PC will cause some serious problems in the future. I have always intended to purchase these games legally.

Oh... and some word of advice for you - next time do not make judgements from beforehand. You cannot assume what is not true, as you make an ASS out of U and ME... and I am unanimous in that.

Last edited by Tidus; 04-20-2007 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #30
eXo

Agreed. I hate it when people assume any question about copy protection is for the sole purpose of pirating.

This is an entire thread all about asking about this particular copy protection after all. Coming in here and asking why someone is interesting in knowing whether a game is protected by starforce is a bit inane.

Quote:
Wow that's crazy! It just takes two seconds to type in the code and then you never have to worry about it again. I guess if someone let something like that stand in your way, they dont really want the game in the first place.
What the hell are you talking about?

Suggestion.

1. Go to wikipedia

2. type in starforce copy protection

3. READ WHAT IT IS

4. come back and make an educated comment.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 04-19-2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: merged
Old 04-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus View Post
Do the following games have Starforce?

+ Lula 3D
+ Safe Cracker
+ Paradise
+ Murder on the Orient Express
I might be wrong, not 100% sure, but I recall reading that Paradise uses Starforce. In fact I think that's why I didn't buy it.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:27 AM   #32
Your average crooner

My spanish Paradise copy does not have Starforce.

And, just before anyone jumps on it, by "copy" I mean "legal copy" or "press copy" in this case.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:55 AM   #33

Default Runaway version without Starforce?

Hi,
I'm a long-time adventure games fan who is new to this forum. I just finished Runaway 2: Dream of the Turtle and was dismayed to find that Runway: A Road Adventure is starforced.

Is there anyway to buy this game legaly but without starforce. Yes, I know this may seem extreme but I refuse to (knowingly) buy and install any starforced game.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:49 PM   #34
Thats the ticket

I have a feeling that Starforce might have been responsible for killing my Lite-On DVD combo drive a few years ago. I just can't prove it but Dreamfall has the been the only game that I have played since my old drive died that contains Starforce. Its worth it :-)
Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 PM   #35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
...Runway: A Road Adventure is starforced.

Is there anyway to buy this game legaly but without starforce. Yes, I know this may seem extreme but I refuse to (knowingly) buy and install any starforced game.
I'm not sure where you heard about the Starforce (there are lists that are quite inaccurate in that they don't differentiate between different published versions-one publisher may include it while another won't).

I have the TriSynergy copy of Runaway 1 and it does not have Starforce.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #36

Melanie, was your copy of Runaway 1 European or the North American version. You are very right in that most lists are inaccurate and don't differentiate between different version. What else do we have to rely on?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #37
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Melanie, was your copy of Runaway 1 European or the North American version. You are very right in that most lists are inaccurate and don't differentiate between different version. What else do we have to rely on?
Hey Rasher, check this list out : Starforce games list by region
Old 05-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #38

Thanks, vivasawadee. According to this list both versions of Runaway have starforce.

You know what? We really need some sort of Gamers Rights movement. DRM that can potentialy ruin a $3000 gaming system is beyond ridiclous.

We now need regisrty cleaners and rootkit detectors just to enjoy PC games. Amost makes me want to buy a console.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:53 AM   #39

Quote:
Thanks, vivasawadee. According to this list both versions of Runaway have starforce.

You know what? We really need some sort of Gamers Rights movement. DRM that can potentialy ruin a $3000 gaming system is beyond ridiclous.

We now need regisrty cleaners and rootkit detectors just to enjoy PC games. Amost makes me want to buy a console.
Personally, I don't buy games with starforce at all anymore. There should be a big warning label on each game/program that used protections, telling exactly what kind of protection it has, and what it means to you(like, does the game require you to be connected to the internet while playing it?). Also, all the new threats of modern computing, makes me want to use older and older systems or other alternatives(like drm free operating systems). In the old days, the only threat to your PC was virus. But these days there are so much stuff that you have to buy to make sure you don't got some program monitoring you(and even then, you got games, programs, Windows, phoning home, telling about what's going on, like some spy, but those are not classified as spyware.) I don't trust somebody else to control or monitor my own PC. It's why I almost don't buy games anymore, since many games only support those rootkit/spyware/adware/starforce/any other drm infested systems(because of the simple reason, that they want to use such protections, which is only supported in newer Operating Systems).

Microsoft doesn't make it any better with their fight against piracy. For each update to the WGA system, new unknown files keeps popping up in my system folders. Back in Windows 98, I knew most of the files in my windows folder, and could easily spot an unwanted file. But these days it's all these new files that gets installed that threats me like a criminal, phoning home to Microsoft and telling me what kind of system I got, and if it's legal or not. By the time Vista becomes standard, I probably will stop buying games completely(and perhaps get a console instead, or only play old school games? God knows...), unless some gentle game producers keep supporting Windows XP SP1(or alternatively SP2 without updates). I won't waste any more money on starforce games or games protected with any other protection which removes my rights to protect my computer or to do what I want to do to the stuff I legit bought.

First and last game I bought with starforce was Dreamfall, after that I won't buy another game from funcom, since they clearly don't care enough about their customers to find a including and good protection systems. Why should I give my money to somebody who is going to use them on protecting me from my own system(and possible also ruin my system)?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:19 AM   #40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivasawadee View Post
Hey Rasher, check this list out : Starforce games list by region
Boo to lists because...

Quote:
I have the North American version, I installed it last night and loaded it and there was no Starforce. Check the lists but confirm with someone who has the game.

Last edited by Melanie68; 05-03-2007 at 06:35 AM.