You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Cyberpunk adventures?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 08:01 PM   #21
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Give Dead City a try.

There's a few more suggestions leaving the Adventure genre aside, like Deus Ex, System Shock, Beyond Good & Evil and Anachronox to name a few.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:00 AM   #22
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

How about Noctropolis?

http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/disp...e.jsp?index=50

I've never completed the game, but the dark setting is pretty amazing!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:52 AM   #23

I don't think the little-known Zero Critical qualifies as cyberpunk, but as an avid fan of Blade Runner I found the atmosphere to be enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Cyberpunk is a science fiction genre noted for its focus on "high tech and low life". Its name was originally developed as a marketing term and coined by Bruce Bethke in his short story “Cyberpunk” written in 1980, so that his novel would have more appeal to readers. The term cyberpunk was originally intended to be a character description for Bethke’s characters, but since then it has evolved and developed into a full genre of its own. Its name is a portmanteau of cybernetics and punk. It features advanced science such as information technology and cybernetics, coupled with a degree of breakdown or a radical change in the social order. According to Lawrence Person:

"Classic cyberpunk characters were marginalized, alienated loners who lived on the edge of society in generally dystopic futures where daily life was impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body."[1]

Cyberpunk plots often center on a conflict among hackers, artificial intelligences, and mega corporations. They tend to be set in a near-future Earth, rather than the far future settings or galactic vistas found in novels like Isaac Asimov's Foundation or Frank Herbert's Dune. The settings are usually post-industrial dystopias, but tend to be marked by extraordinary cultural ferment, and the use of technology in ways never anticipated by its creators ("the street finds its own uses for things"). Much of the genre's atmosphere echoes film noir, and written works in the genre often use techniques from detective fiction.
Interesting definition and according to which many scifi titles don't even come close. Anyway, I'm interested in hearing recommendations about steampunk-themed games. Any takers?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:03 AM   #24

Thanks for the literal outpouring of responses guys, I certainly have enough leads to keep my hands full for quite some time. I think I'll give Snatcher a whirl first - I'll keep you guys posted as to how it all goes.

But so as not to waste a thread, I do second that - steampunk adventures games, anyone? =)
Old 03-14-2007, 06:26 AM   #25

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
I think I'll give Snatcher a whirl first
Good choice! Do try out the SegaCD version, for the improved graphics, extended ending, and excellent for it's time voice acting. I hope I've made finding a copy fairly straightforward.

Though I must say there have been quite a few excellent and interesting games mentioned in this thread. Some I've played, some I haven't and must now add to my to-do list!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:29 AM   #26

I just got Snatcher for MegaCD and it is really great so far...

Running Slackware Linux
Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #27
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Thanks for the literal outpouring of responses guys, I certainly have enough leads to keep my hands full for quite some time. I think I'll give Snatcher a whirl first - I'll keep you guys posted as to how it all goes.

But so as not to waste a thread, I do second that - steampunk adventures games, anyone? =)
More RPGs than adventures, IIRC. You could call the Myst games a bit steampunk, or even Syberia. "The gene machine" is the closest I can think of steampunk.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:13 AM   #28
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Hmm... can't think of many Steampunk games... Entomorph had some steampunk didn't it? But it's more of an Action/Adventure game than anything else.

And, well, Arcanum, but it's a pure RPG. Everyone should play it though.

EDIT: The Mystery of the Nautilus?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #29

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42

I guess Gadget could be called Steampunk:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/gadget...avel-adventure

Whether it can be called a game is a better question!

Good work of art, though. There's a 4-CD late-90s remake so rare that it's not even listed on Mobygames.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #30
Fulci lives

Sam and Max head out in to cyberspace: http://www.adventuregamers.com/scree...6580&article=0
Looks pretty spiffy.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:45 AM   #31
Vigilant

This is a long stretch but Dreamfall and the Longest Journey have small bits of steampunk. The problem is, there is a dicotomy between the two worlds that contain fantasy and science fiction and I am not sure about the rules that regard the two. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the genre can correct me?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #32

Beneath a Steel Sky (Cyberpunk game) is free to legitimately download online, & which is excellent because it used to be £25 when first launched.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:00 AM   #33

Just for the record, I just finished Snatcher and I have to move it to my top list...

Running Slackware Linux
Old 04-09-2007, 11:41 PM   #34
Dividing the Digital

Snatcher is very good. I was surprised that Konami pulled off such a great adventure game complete with pretty decent voice acting. One of the reasons to own a Sega CD (well, for me back in the day at any rate heh). I still have my copy too

Rise of the Dragon takes place in a futuristic LA and could be considered cyberpunkish. Too bad Dynamix never made any more 'Blade Hunter Mysteries'. It's basically a third person adventure game with a few action sequences thrown into the mix.

Bloodnet is pretty good, neat story and good voice acting. Combat in that game just sucks though. Too many enemies going for headshots and taking your people out fast. I like all the weapons and cyber implants, just wish the combat engine was retooled and there were more unique looking characters graphics. And some of the final fights are just plain frustrating hehe. Otherwise, great game!

Noctropolis i believe could be consider cyberpunk. I haven't played it in sooo long but i remember you becoming this superhero like person in this strange gothic looking futuristic city of the same name.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #35
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizukana View Post
Rise of the Dragon takes place in a futuristic LA and could be considered cyberpunkish. Too bad Dynamix never made any more 'Blade Hunter Mysteries'.
Indeed! Dynamix even hinted in the manual that they were working on a sequel, but as with so many games, money always is an issue

I really loved the cyberpunk-comicbook style of the game...
Old 04-10-2007, 12:57 AM   #36
Your average crooner

Hey, last week I learnt how to play B.A.T. 2: the koshan conspiracy! Great comic-cyberpunk-rpg-adventure-simulation-arcade-racing-strategy game!
Old 04-26-2009, 01:57 AM   #37

i stumbled across this thread and it inspired me to check out "snatcher". i'm so glad i did! i just finished it and enjoyed it heaps!! thanks to all you snatcher fans for recommending it
Old 04-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #38

Regarding cyberpunk, there's also Omikron: The Nomad Soul!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #39

Cyberpunk just doesn't get enough love.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #40

Also Gemini Rue.It's new it's retro it's cyberpunk and it's really good.check it out.