You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Game Playthrough #5: Faust — Seven Games of the Soul

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
So, what happened to everyone?
I was wondering about that too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
But, when we "see" him in Ep.4, [Frank] doesn't value his fresh start, or the love Kalinka feels for him, because he's to busy feeling sorry for himself. He actually got a new chance, and I feel he blew it. He found true love, and ends up hurting her badly with all his secrecy and self-doubt..
I'm somewhat surprised that you see things like that. I had always considered ep. 4 to be a sort of "happy ending" to ep. 3, and I find it interesting that you think that it casts a bad light on Frank. Seriously, I think he's a good guy (see also how he and Kalinka helped Tod in ep. 6). And we'll see him one last time before the end.

Quote:
I thought we were supposed to find out what happened to this people, not solve the episode and get hints to what happened to Theodore..
It's both.

Some thoughts on episode 5 now (I'll keep ep. 6 for later).

The first thing that struck me in this episode is the absence of a bathroom (for a change)! Was Hannibal completely living like an animal?

Like Panthera, I can't really bring myself to like him, despite his seemingly-difficult childhood and his love for his tigers. Still, he's dumb enough not to be too efficient in his evil.

Theodore returns with his Christian theology (accompanied, appropriately enough, by another rendition of Nature Boy, which was the main theme in episode 3): force and counterforce, the necessity of evil, whose absence is "as dangerous as its continued company". Still, I'm not sure how this is appropriate for Hannibal. While the evil in Frank's story indeed gave way to a greater good, I can't see what good Hannibal's presence in Dreamland achieved, even indirectly. Mephisto seems to think likewise, acting once again more like a force for justice (albeit with a wicked sense of humour ) rather than evil.

What do people make of this weird movie you watch in the theatre at the end of the episode? Social security, the 1929 stock market crash, Prohibition and... tigers? If it's supposed to provide a bridge between this episode and the next one, I'm afraid I didn't really "get" it...

Quote:
I hope I'm not the only one left interested in following this story to the end with the forum..
I'll deal with episode 6 (as well as updating the chronology, and discussing the names of the characters) soon. So at least that leaves two of us!
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 04-19-2007, 03:19 AM   #142
Easily amused

I've finished Hannibal's part, and will do Tod's over the next few days.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #143
Super Moderator

I finished episode 5 (finally). I had little patience with myself to solve much of it on my own (I did some things on my own). The pixel hunting continues but I'm also preoccupied by school.

It is hard to find any redeeming qualities in Hannibal. The only things he seemed to show any love for were his tigers and the 'black man' mentioned in Theodore's journal. I find it interesting when you have someone who can have such rapport with and love for animals but it isn't extended to the human race. I often wonder why that is. It's interesting that the tigers he loved, he also had power over them. If that power dynamic were removed and the tigers had power over them, would he still love them as much?

I was also confused by the movie at the end. It seemed to show the contrasts between the powerful and controlled? I'm not sure.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #144

I am still in the discussion as well; I just didn't have much to say about these chapters. With every chapter, I think Mephisto is becoming more and more of a human character, more on par with every main character despite his role as the "counter-force." I really enjoy the quote about the necessity of evil. In some cases, a lack of evil would not allow for good as well. Look at Tod: if he was not breaking laws and dealing with the Mafia, he would not have been able to provide for the orphans.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:03 AM   #145
Second Degree Black Belt

I just finished the game last Friday and I loved it, I'm going to go back through it and play again. I really enjoyed the game.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 04-29-2007, 03:57 AM   #146
Easily amused

I finished Episode 6 yesterday.
As far as Hannibal (episode 5) goes, he is the most despicable character so far, which really puts Mephisto in a good light. The end bit is very satisfying. Does that mean there is some evil in all of us that we take pleasure in seeing someone we hate get what they deserve? Or does the ending only serve to show us that Mephisto is not the nasty demon we've come to expect. He is almost the hero here; I certainly was cheering him on .
Tod is easy to like, right up until I saw where he had the orphans living. It sure looked like a jail to me, and though he provided all the necessities for them, I can't but help think that there was something wrong with it. Did anyone else see that Mr. Nitty was Mephisto? At least I think so. The pact he offered Tod was different from the others. Tod was very unselfish, so that offering him something for himself was not the way to get him to agree to something. Giving him a chance to get revenge on Hannibal was a better bet for Mephisto, and Tod took it.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #147
Senior *female* member

I hope this thread isn't dead? I'm still reading it. I wish I could contribute after my DVD failure, but I can't even get the CD version (bought on ebay in a desperate attempt to play along) to behave.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:09 AM   #148

Me too. When shall we discuss the final chapter?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:01 AM   #149

Episode Seven: The Masterpiece of Giselle

Starring Giselle Campton
as well as Frank Barnes, Marcellus Faust and Mephistopheles
(December 1938)

followed by

The final choice

All right, time to end this playthrough! Lots of revelations at the same time, so be sure to pay attention to everything.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 02-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #150
Stalker of Britain

Did this thread just kind of die?

I just played this game, and I must say I see Mory's points. I kept going though, because I love story. By the end, I liked it better than the beginning, but not one of my favorite games.

I did get kind of attached to Nathaniel, Frank, and definetely Giselle. I loved the radio station 666. It was jsut amazing, and I freakin' love that song from Presence playing through this last level. I'm listening to it right now.

I had a question-when we see the flashbacks of like Frank wheeling Giselle over, is taht happening in the past or right now. BEcause when we change the radio to the intercom, we hear Frank...?

It seems to me quite a few years since someone has posted, so maybe I'm talking to myself. I was just seeing if this playthrough was over, since I might start one.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes