You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Adventure Gamer Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #1

Default New Adventure Gamer Recommendations

Good day, all. I have been playing PC games for years, but pretty much always stuck to FPS. Recently, however, I began playing adventure titles. I am now hooked. The problem is that it is difficult to find recommendations. There seem to be many games not covered by the larger gaming sites. I am looking for top ten type lists from people. I have been lurking for a while and folks here seem pretty helpful, so I figure I would seek some recommendations.

So far I have played realMyst, URU: CC, Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Nibiru, and Secret Files: Tunguska. I especially enjoyed Nibiru, Secret Files, and Cthulu, though it was a bit action-y. I have ordered Syberia, Myst V, and Longest Journey. I realize that these are all mainstream titles, but I am just getting into this stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

If this has been covered elsewhere, please let me know. I searched the forum and came up with squat.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to Adventure Gamers aitsu!

I did find one thread about people's personal top tens (sometimes if the words in the search are too short, it may not come up with anything):

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...dventure+games

I'm sure others will come in with recommendations as well. Are there any kinds of stories that you especially enjoy?

Also, if any title interests you, you can read the reviews here.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

Try: Bladerunner, the Broken Sword series, the Monkey Island series, Sam and Max, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango. You might want to look up a review from Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.

I probably forgot some but this should provide some nice games to get started

Edit: you might also want to look at this article http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,186
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me Cookie

Last edited by I Love Cookiemonster; 03-09-2007 at 08:20 AM. Reason: forgot something :)
Old 03-09-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Broken Sword geek :P

Send a message via MSN to mariusmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Cookiemonster View Post
Try: Bladerunner, the Broken Sword series, the Monkey Island series, Sam and Max, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango. You might want to look up a review from Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.

I
amen brother

i also recomend still life and the longest journey.

Broken sword zone. news articles and info about the saga including broken sword 4 of course. http://www.bszone.tk/
(thx from all the staff)

any adventure gamer who wants to chat. feel free to msn me
Old 03-09-2007, 08:40 AM   #5

Wow. You folks are extremely responsive. Thanks for that link, Melanie. Very useful. As for stories, I suppose that I am drawn toward historical conspiracy type stuff, e.g. Secret Files: Tunguksa and Nibiru, and generally not into straight-up fantasy. However, I don't care as much about the subject matter as the quality of the tale told.

Thanks Cookie. Few more in the cue now.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aitsu View Post
Wow. You folks are extremely responsive. Thanks for that link, Melanie. Very useful. As for stories, I suppose that I am drawn toward historical conspiracy type stuff, e.g. Secret Files: Tunguksa and Nibiru, and generally not into straight-up fantasy. However, I don't care as much about the subject matter as the quality of the tale told.

this is one of the best forums around btw i also love conspiracy stuff. nibiru is great. albeit some flaws. if i like that try the moment of silence. its has a sci fi background but also revolve around conspiracy. but you really love historical conspiracy try broken sword 1.

Broken sword zone. news articles and info about the saga including broken sword 4 of course. http://www.bszone.tk/
(thx from all the staff)

Last edited by mariusmal; 03-09-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Elegantly copy+pasted

Try Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive. It's a conspiracy classic. Also Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy), if you can handle some high-reflex gameplay.

A lot depends on how far back you're willing to go. Some of the best games were made back in the early nineties, so if you can appreciate low-resolution graphics you have a lot to choose from.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Good day, all. I have been playing PC games for years, but pretty much always stuck to FPS. Recently, however, I began playing adventure titles. I am now hooked. The problem is that it is difficult to find recommendations. There seem to be many games not covered by the larger gaming sites. I am looking for top ten type lists from people. I have been lurking for a while and folks here seem pretty helpful, so I figure I would seek some recommendations.

So far I have played realMyst, URU: CC, Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Nibiru, and Secret Files: Tunguska. I especially enjoyed Nibiru, Secret Files, and Cthulu, though it was a bit action-y. I have ordered Syberia, Myst V, and Longest Journey. I realize that these are all mainstream titles, but I am just getting into this stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

If this has been covered elsewhere, please let me know. I searched the forum and came up with squat.

Thanks.
Welcome! I'm sure you will enjoy The Longest Journey. It is one of my favorite games of all time.

In my opinion, all adventure players should play the Broken Sword series (there are four of them...the first one is so excellent) and the Gabriel Knight Series (there are three of them).

As someone else mentioned, I think you'll enjoy Still Life as well.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
marsan

Quote:
I recommend The Journeyman Project 2 and 3, if you can find a copy of them. They are in my eyes really great adventure games and involves a lot of real history. It contains a funny sidekick - a exciting story to emerge yourself in - and the ability to time travel to make the past right to make sure the future is not destroyed. The gameplay is pretty similar to myst, I saw you've played some of the myst games already. The main difference is that the puzzles are less complicated, and the story is rooted in the past, so you have to travel back in time to sort out the problem and such. In TJP 3, you travel back in time to visit the lost city of Atlantis, Shangri-La and El Dorado. Oh yeah, in TJP 3 you got the same kind of "free 360 degree view" as in Myst III : exile or Myst IV : revelation or Myst V: End of ages

Here's the trailer: http://presto.tommyyune.com/presto/j...3/trailer.html

and here's an review: http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com/...urneyman3R.htm

both of those can probably explain the game better than I can

Old 03-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #10

I would defiantly check out the new Sam and Max games. You can try our the demo for the first one here. The rest of the episodes demos are on the site as well
Old 03-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:

If you like historical conspiracy go buy Broken Sword: The Shadow Of The Templars. NOW!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Cookiemonster View Post
If you like historical conspiracy go buy Broken Sword: The Shadow Of The Templars. NOW!
i said that also

(thx from all the staff)

Old 03-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #13

This is my personal top 5

1. Grim Fandango
2. The Longest Journey
3. Dreamfall
4. Curse of Monkey Island(third in the Monkey Island series, so you'll want to try the first two first)
5. Sanitarium
Old 03-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #14
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Here are my suggestions:

Myst IV
Grim Fandango
The Last Express
Beneath A Steel Sky
Old 03-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat View Post
Beneath A Steel Sky
cough*shameless plug*cough

Old 03-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusmal View Post
i said that also
sorry read over that. But you where right
Old 03-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
cough*shameless plug*cough

I liked that game but i don't have any really fond memory's of it. maybe i should play it again. But then again i have probably more than 50 unfinished/unplayed games lying around including Doom 3, Diablo 2 Lod, Lure Of The Temptress, Half life 2, Ghost master, Grim Fandango and lots of other games. So maybe not. Let's just see what the future brings
Old 03-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #18

In no particular order:

1. Monkey Island series
2. Gabriel Knight series
3. The Longest Journey/Dreamfall
4. Day of the Tentacle
5. Grim Fandango (though I haven't finished it yet)
Old 03-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #19

Hi!

I am also new to to adventures games, used to play driving simulators and FPS before.
First I played Dreamfall and liked it so much that I began to look for other adventure games. I just finished my second game: Runaway 2, it was also a good fun. I am planning The longest Journey, Runaway 1 and Grim Fandango now.

I hear from a lot of people that there are a lot of old games that are very good, but somehow I wouldn't want to play with games made in the early 90s... It's hard enough to convince myself to try Grim Fandango from 1998
Old 03-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimpok View Post
I hear from a lot of people that there are a lot of old games that are very good, but somehow I wouldn't want to play with games made in the early 90s... It's hard enough to convince myself to try Grim Fandango from 1998
I played Grim Fandango for the first time a couple months ago. I never would have picked it up off the shelf just by looking at the cover. But reading all the positive statements, I decided to give it a try ... and, boy, am I glad I did. It's fantastic fun and still holds it own today.

To the person who started the thread, you might also want to try Riven. An unforgettable classic adventure that the later Myst games (good as they are) didn't quite capture IMO.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)