Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Adventure History (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/19158-adventure-history.html)

Gabe 03-08-2007 11:38 PM

Adventure History

Anyone knows the first adv.?
and from then how many adv. produced on
pc,as text adv,dos adv, win adv and amateur adventures?

Kurufinwe 03-08-2007 11:49 PM

The first adventure game was Adventure (which is responsible for the genre's not-really-fitting name). No idea about your other questions (and I doubt anyone knows that).

rtrooney 03-09-2007 04:46 PM

This question has been asked before. And responses aren't always in agreement. My posit is that the first "adventure" game was Star Wars. I can't even call it text-based. But it was an adventure. It was available on cassette. We, and by we I mean the Heath Company, supplied it with any purchase of a DEC computer kit. This was mid-to-late 1970s. I was the advertising manager of the retail store division at that time.

I've been away from the forum for a while. I am glad to see that things are up and running. For more than a month I was unable to log on without timing out at every mouse click. Kudos to whomever solved the problem.

After a brisk nap 03-09-2007 07:59 PM

Did this "Star Wars" game have anything to do with the movie? Because the film came out in 1977, and Colossal Cave Adventure was first released in 1976.

However, I can find absolutely no reference to a Star Wars adventure game back in the 1970s, or any other decade. The first Star Wars (i.e. set in the Star Wars universe) game was released in 1982, and the first called Star Wars in 1983.

All knowledgeable references seem to agree that the first adventure game was Colossal Cave Adventure.

rtrooney 03-10-2007 07:25 AM

It was my error. I typed Star Wars and the game was actually Star Trek

After a brisk nap 03-10-2007 08:38 AM

Oh, thanks. Are you talking about this one? I can see that there are some elements that could be considered precursors to adventures (interacting with a character), but it doesn't really sound like an adventure game to me.

rtrooney 03-10-2007 11:17 AM

That sounds like the one. I worked at Heath from 1974-1977, so it is definitely the right era. The game we distributed was definitely not the PDP version, but a scaled back version that would run on the early DEC PCs. It is most likely the re-published version mentioned at the end of the article. My guess is that the time would have been late 1975 or early 1976.

jacog 03-10-2007 01:06 PM

So do you guys consider Hunt The Wumpus an adventure or a shooter?