You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Time for a new community playthrough?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #561

OverSeer actually revisits Tex's first case, as previously related in Mean Streets. (I gather there are differences between the plots of the two games, but as I haven't played Mean Streets I don't know what they are.) So while the framing narrative is set shortly after The Pandora Directive, there's no need to have any previous knowledge of Tex and his milieu.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #562

Freddy Pharkas is not freeware.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #563

If anyone's serious about an Overseer playthrough, the Tex Murphy games are 50% off at GOG this week-end.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 09-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #564
Senior *female* member

Since we have a small group of 7 or 8 people interested in an Overseer playthrough, let's do it! My suggestion is to start this Wednesday, the 21th. That way everybody will have time to install the game and get ready to immerse ourselves in one of the best PI games ever.

Overseer is a fairly long game and I'd like to split it up in eight parts, corresponding to the 8 days of the flashback story. The problem with long games is that playthroughs have a tendency to drag on and peter out into nothing. So instead of spending a whole week on one episode let's finish each episode in 5 days.

If the proposed pace is unacceptable, or people would like to start later, please post!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #565

talk about coincidence with the GOG promo... however, i have classic DVD version and I'm sure there were plenty of talk about getting it to run here or over at unofficialtexmurphy

I managed to install it with the compatibility mode but i still have some more things to do since i have no sound and video. Oh, but other than that the game runs fine

There's a nice guide here - http://fourthlaw.com/tex-murphy-overseer-install-guide/ which i'll try now
Old 09-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #566

That's a great coincidence with the GOG.com sale.

As long as playing the last game in the series doesn't spoil anything for the previous games when I play them later on (other than Mean Streets of which I understand Overseer is more or less a remake/retelling), I think I'm in.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 09-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #567
Senior *female* member

No, it won't spoil anything. You'll miss a couple of subtle references to the previous games, that's all. Overseer was the first Tex game I played and I loved it so much that I immediately played UAKM and Pandora as well.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #568

Yay! I will try to make this the first community play through where I don't get distracted and wander off in the middle. One chapter every five days sounds about right to me.

I wonder if I'll remember any of the puzzles after thirteen years?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #569

Did someone say Overseer is the next play through???

Count me in!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #570

Okay, Overseer is installed and ready to go
Old 09-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #571

I'm going to be PC-less until the end of next week, but I might try to catch up then.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 09-17-2011, 01:21 AM   #572
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Yay, I'm in!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #573
Failed Birthday Elf

Sounds good, especially as I bought the Tex Murphy games last time they were on sale at GOG but haven't got round to playing them yet.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #574

I've installed Overseer (from DVD) but have various tech issues (no video, no background music, random error message, etc.). It seems that this game is a pain to run on XP w/ the DVD version. I've been reading the GOG.com forums and the pages from diego to find solutions.

Everybody says MIDI music has to be turned off due to differences in encoding pre- and post-win2000. That's too bad - music can really add to the atmosphere.

I'll have to keep tinkering but I don't have much time in the next few days to invest into tweaking this, so I may be late to the playthrough by a couple of days.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Last edited by inm8#2; 09-17-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #575

I really wish I had time to join. Tex Murphy is probably my all-time favourite adventure game series (opinion based on UAKM and PD).

And yeah, Overseer DVD is a pain to get working. I even have one of those DVD decoder cards the game was designed for, but the game locks up as soon as it's about to play a video.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:09 AM   #576
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Hmmm, I have the dvd, but it seems like it's going to be tricky to get it going...
Old 09-18-2011, 05:03 AM   #577

From what little I played, the GOG version seems to run flawlessly on Win 7 64 bit. It even shows you a screen before you start checking for any running programs that can cause trouble with the game. It might be worth picking up the GOG version with the Text Murphy sale on this weekend.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #578

I've got it working with videos now. Only thing is when I turn on MIDI I get "Error does not indicate error." This is an apparent issue with XP systems. I've tried using different sources for MIDI audio but don't get anything.

edit - got it. From GOG forums...

Quote:
What you need is to edit tex.ini and change "DriverName=MIDI Mapper" to "DriverName=Microsoft MIDI Mapper".
Thereafter in the game I chose my audio device as Microsoft MIDI Mapper and I hear the music. This apparently causes a crash later in the game at Gideon's Gallery, so people should mute MIDI there but otherwise it should be okay.

Plenty of good threads at GOG.

Last edited by inm8#2; 09-18-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #579

Woohooo, i managed to get it run on XP and it's working like a charm! Both with video and sound.

Ok, basically what i did was following this guide - http://fourthlaw.com/tex-murphy-overseer-install-guide/ step by step

Now, you will need 2 things to download - DVDExpress which can be found here - http://www.lpcdaust.com/downloads.html and 1.04 patch which you can find here - http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/d...tils/index.php

Also, you will be doing a separate RSX sound installation as noted in the guide.

My configuration looks like this

game is running smooth so far and i've turned all the graphics enhancements on

i'm hearing the midi music also, and i could alt-tab it without problem, although i've heard of several crashes in the game but i'm only at the beginning and no troubles so far
Old 09-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #580

I actually got the DVD version to work after spending some time tinkering with it (in other words, doing exactly what I didn't have time for ). It won't let me up the resolution to 800x600 though, which is annoying after having jumped through all those hoops to get the best video quality.

I'll do my best to keep up with the rest of you, although I haven't succeeded very well during the last few playthroughs...