You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Time for a new community playthrough?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #481
Senior *female* member

Let's be realistic... the last two community playthroughs were a disaster. Literally dozens of people said they were interested in TLJ, and look what happened.

The most recent playthrough I enjoyed was the *unofficial* Bad Mojo one, which was frequented by just 5 or 6 posters (including you and me ) but everybody contributed and that's what makes it work.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #482

I might be up for one. Don't have Vampyre Story, though.

EDIT: The TLJ playthrough didn't go well? What went wrong?

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13

Last edited by Little Writer; 07-03-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #483

Yeah, i know last ones didn't go very well, but maybe next one will?

Even if game has the quality to attract many players like Sanitarium and TJL, the problem is that usually only litttle of those are ready to play it at the exact same time, which is as you said, the main problem of playthroughs in general.

But not the reason to not continue Maybe some fresh game will attract more players, but then the problem is that not everyone got the game. Maybe for now it wouldn't be bad idea just to hear people's opinions and game wishes, or even better if someone is interested in running the next one.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #484
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
errr... anyone interested in a new playthrough?
I see the custom here is to play classics, which is fine by me.
I don't expect you to believe this, but I was just about to ask you to be the game master of Phantasmagoria (there's a GOG version playable on modern operating systems) on that other forum (SK) whose adventure section is in coma atm .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Let's be realistic... the last two community playthroughs were a disaster. Literally dozens of people said they were interested in TLJ, and look what happened.
It's surprising that of nearly 9 000 members of this (strictly adventure oriented) forum only 20 or 30 (50 at the most) people are (were) interested in playthroughs.

Quote:
The most recent playthrough I enjoyed was the *unofficial* Bad Mojo one, which was frequented by just 5 or 6 posters (including you and me ) but everybody contributed and that's what makes it work.
That's my favo(u)rite too .

Quote:
Yeah, i know last ones didn't go very well, but maybe next one will?
That's a spirit! Rafael Nadal just had a press conference and basically said the same thing.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #485

Well YOU won't believe, but i was going to post this same message over there, but then i realized it's in coma and it will do no good.

Also, MAYBE it wouldn't be bad idea to have something short and sweat just to get the things moving. I really liked when i saw while looking through previous playthroughs that you had 5 Days a Stranger, so maybe something in the vein of it would be nice.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #486

After the two last experiences with playthroughs i have to say: a playthrough stand and falls with the leader. So what we need is a leader who loves the game we choose and knows it by heart and who won't dissapear during the playthrough.
So instead of choosing a game we should choose someone willing and able to lead us through a playthrough.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #487

I agree seagul, but it's interesting that when i was leading The Whispered World playthrough at that other forum, i was playing it for the first time along with other players, and it wasn't that bad. It's just that i knew ahead some things of the current chapter and chapters make it easier to split the playthrough into parts.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #488
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
So instead of choosing a game we should choose someone willing and able to lead us through a playthrough.
You don't choose a leader, the real leader has to impose himself/herself on the others .

Seriously, if someone wants to be a game master (s)he should simply step forward. The problem is that usually no-one does .
Quote:
it's interesting that when i was leading The Whispered World playthrough at that other forum, i was playing it for the first time along with other players, and it wasn't that bad.
If a playthrough has either a good GM or at least one good player/participant - it is good. If a playthrough has both a good GM and a good player - it is great. Some playthroughs have neither so they fail .

Last edited by zobraks; 07-03-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: troubles with English (what else could it be?)
Old 07-04-2011, 02:33 AM   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
You don't choose a leader, the real leader has to impose himself/herself on the others
But if the mountain will not come to Muhammad...

So maybe we should just give the "GM stick" to a random person

But this thread is a good place not only to come with the sound of thunder and say: I'm the gamemaster!, but also to see for which game there is enough interest if we're to raise our chances for a succesfull playthrough. But since we're not seeing many proposals i guess playthroughs are not particulary popular atm.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:17 AM   #490
Senior *female* member

@LittleWriter: The TLJ playthrough was a disaster because the few participants stopped posting after a couple of weeks. But the signs hadn't been good from the start, in spite of the large number of potential participants.

@Seagul: It's not just the leader. You went out of your way to get the Sanitarium playthrough going again after the official leader disappeared never to be heard of again. I agree with Zobraks, it's both the leader and the participants.

@Diego: I would much prefer a leader who has played the game before and loves it, so they can provide background and relevant info. Besides, going just by the chapters doesn't always work, as testified by the TLJ playthrough where the "leader(s)" didn't have a clue about the length of the chapters.

@Zobraks: For me, Bad Mojo was one of the best but there were other very good ones I enjoyed.

The AG scene keeps changing all the time and playthroughs may be a thing of the past, I don't know. But I do know that if the four of us (plus of course any other interested players) committed to a new unofficial playthrough, it would be a success.

For me, it would have to be an interesting game at the very least which stimulates discussion. Frankly, I was underwhelmed with A Vampyre Story. Didn't like the humor, left it unfinished. There are lots of new/old adventures I'd love to play and also lots I would love to replay (Tex Murphy, DoTT, Dreamfall, Callahan's, Discworld, Barrow Hill, Journeyman Project 2 + 3, Duckman, GAG, etc.). I'd have to feel real comfortable with a game to be the leader in a playthrough, though. In that respect, GAG is the only one that qualifies. It is a short, IMO very funny and sexy parody of adventures with creative puzzles and parodies of puzzles. I'm confident that Zobraks would like it, but its humor may not everybody's cup of tea.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #491

Fien, believe me i would never lead a playthrough of the game i don't love. But "loving" a game does not necessarily mean that i've played it or finished it, no matter how odd it may sound. TWW was a love at first sight for example, or you can easily conclude just after couple of hours (or even minutes) if that particular game is your cup of tea.

As for splitting the playthrough into parts, there are many tricks one can do - if you're unsure about chapters length you can take a glimpse at walkthrough and conclude it by the amount of text. But i don't see that splitting into parts is the main concern for playthroughs in general - it's as mentioned willing leader and players.

Of course, i'm not saying this has ANY advantages over standard playthrough with leader who knows everything about the game, it's just that in my experience it can work too.

Quote:
The AG scene keeps changing all the time and playthroughs may be a thing of the past, I don't know.
I thought about it too, but in the end, it really has to do with how popular or interesting that particular game is for the selected group of people. Remember that Youtube walkthroughs and "playthroughs" are extremely popular in last couple of years as an easy and quick way to see or remember the game. So, people are ready to commit their time to see other person playing the game - that alone tells you that in a well-timed situation playthroughs can always work.

I mentioned A Vampyre Story just for the change of pace, i think there are many people who didn't play it since it's a relatively new title and might be interested with the prequel coming.

As for GAG, i didn't play it but i would take part. I'd also be interested in Tex Murphy games since i haven't played any of it. I got myself Overseer and plan to play it soon. As for Discworld, second one would be great.

Last edited by diego; 07-04-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #492
Failed Birthday Elf

Well, no thunder or lightning here, as me following it would only be an anticlimax!

However, I will offer to host a Broken Sword Playthrough if there is any interest. It's a game I love and know well.

It might be a little early in the day, as it isn't that long since the "remastered" edition came out, but if enough people are interested in playing/replaying the game i'm happy to do it.

Otherwise I'd love to join in (but not lead) a playthrough of one of the Tex Murphy games or Barrow Hill.

And as a matter of interest, my favourite playthroughs to date have been Fantasy's Blackstone Chronicles and Andea's GKs.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #493
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Fien, believe me i would never lead a playthrough of the game i don't love. But "loving" a game does not necessarily mean that i've played it or finished it, no matter how odd it may sound. TWW was a love at first sight for example, or you can easily conclude just after couple of hours (or even minutes) if that particular game is your cup of tea.
I agree, diego. I realize I came across as the criticizing bitch that I am, but I didn't mean to say no-one should ever lead a game they haven't played. If it works, it works. But it won't work for many games.

PS: Broken Sword is not high on my list. If everybody else wants to replay it I *might* join in.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #494
She Wants Revenge

I would be interested in joining, I didn't join on TLJ since I played it rather recently. Now looking back I honestly could have, since I had forgotten quite a bit about it, but it's gone now so no use crying about it.

I'd be glad to join in even some more mediocre game just to participate, can't be leading anything yet with my hectic rl and lack of experience. Just as long as it isn't something I played this year.

I'd love a Discworld Noir one but the game is so hard to come by and get to work that it's doomed from the start. Maybe some day we get it on GoG and can do it. Meanwhile the other two Discworlds are good choices. I recently fiddled with the BSI remastered (but didn't finish) but it could be doable, the sequels would interest me more though. I might even be willing to replay Tex Murphy games this soon. Barrow Hill should be fine, haven't played it. GKs are fine (they have been rather recently played through this though, right?), anything old from Lucas is good... I'm not feeling picky today so better just let other people suggest.

Last edited by millenia; 07-04-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #495

Based on comments thus far, games that emerged as strong candidates are: Tex Murphy game, Broken Sword and Barrow Hill.

I would join it, especially since i didn't play any of TM games nor Barrow Hill, and was actually planning to do it. Maybe for the change of pace i'd like Barrow Hill more, but as i said i'm perfectly fine with Tex, too.

also, unrelated to the topic: can someone please tell me if i can just play Overseer right away or would it be better to play them in order? Thanx

Last edited by diego; 07-04-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #496
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
also, unrelated to the topic: can someone please tell me if i can just play Overseer right away or would it be better to play them in order? Thanx
I played the FMV games in order (haven't finished the Overseer yet though I am quite far in it) and I think it's smart to play UaKM and Pandora Directive in that order. I am unsure about Overseer's ending but so far there isn't really anything that would require you to play the other two first. Tex is telling a story from his earlier days (it's one of those older non-FMV adventures redone) and the sceneries and the characters are different from the other two games (apart from the person he's telling the story to). So I'd say you can rather safely play Overseer separate, but someone who has finished the game might tell you better.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #497
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
The TLJ playthrough was a disaster because the few participants stopped posting after a couple of weeks.
That's a shame, TLJ is such a good game (the only adventure that made me play it all through the night - half-drunk to boot! ).
If I hadn't played it so many times I might've even joined that playthrough.

Quote:
I do know that if the four of us (plus of course any other interested players) committed to a new unofficial playthrough, it would be a success.
I share this opinion.
Quote:
I'd have to feel real comfortable with a game to be the leader in a playthrough, though. In that respect, GAG is the only one that qualifies. It is a short, IMO very funny and sexy parody of adventures with creative puzzles and parodies of puzzles. I'm confident that Zobraks would like it, but its humor may not everybody's cup of tea.
I love crazy humor, but Russian humor can be too hard even for me. Nevertheless, if you take the role of game master, Fien, I'll do my best to try GAG .

Quote:
... in a well-timed situation playthroughs can always work.
Why, that's obvious, but it's very hard to make a perfect timing for a playthrough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
I will offer to host a Broken Sword Playthrough if there is any interest.
Quote:
Broken Sword is not high on my list. If everybody else wants to replay it I *might* join in.
I am one of the few people who didn't like Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars very much (to say the least), but I think that's because that was one of the first adventures I ever played and in comparison with DotT, GF and CoMI it didn't have much chance.
I've been planning to give it a second chance for a long time, so who knows - I might even join that playthrough.

Quote:
Based on comments thus far, games that emerged as strong candidates are: Tex Murphy game, Broken Sword and Barrow Hill.
I don't feel like playing Tex Murphy games and I've played Barrow Hill less than month ago. And wrote about it.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #498

Quote:
There are lots of new/old adventures I'd love to play and also lots I would love to replay (Tex Murphy, DoTT, Dreamfall, Callahan's, Discworld, Barrow Hill, Journeyman Project 2 + 3, Duckman, GAG, etc.). I'd have to feel real comfortable with a game to be the leader in a playthrough, though. In that respect, GAG is the only one that qualifies. It is a short, IMO very funny and sexy parody of adventures with creative puzzles and parodies of puzzles.
I'd love to play GAG, but I've never been able to find it. I think I saw it on eBay once for something like $100 -- way out of my reach.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
I don't feel like playing Tex Murphy games and I've played Barrow Hill less than month ago. And wrote about it.
Well, now we know who would make a perfect GM
Old 07-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #500
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
Tex is telling a story from his earlier days (it's one of those older non-FMV adventures redone)
Overseer retells the story of the first one: Mean Streets. BTW, all 5 Tex games are FMV because the characters are real-life actors. The first two games are 3rd-person.

Crabapple:
Quote:
I'd love to play GAG, but I've never been able to find it. I think I saw it on eBay once for something like $100 -- way out of my reach.
Yes, it's become extremely rare. But there are ways...

Diego:
Quote:
Well, now we know who would make a perfect GM
Great minds think alike!